Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2430 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's kick this new bike off with its own discussion thread.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you planning on adding one to the fleet Skinnybex?
Not sure. I’m really happy with my SB4.5 so I’m going to Demo one at Yeti HQ in May so I can feel the difference myself. I’m pretty intrigued how short travel switch infinity will improve on the ASRc in regards to 100mm travel and I loved my ASRc

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a medium in the garage that I am building tonight and the frame is 2640 grams.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looks like the website is pretty accurate. And also re-enforces the fact that every scale is going to read a little bit differently when you're trying to measure things to the gram.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Checked again without axle and seat post clamp and it's only 2535 grams. 5.588 pounds. The new Blur I built weighed 2165 with DUB BB still in frame also with axle and seat post clamp and it was a large.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Roughly a pound or 15% heavier. I'm going to assume most of the weight comes with the switch infinity system over carbon weight. Pretty keen to throw a leg over one.

Anyone know if Yeti demo bikes all the way down in Aus?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Im going to beat you to that demo ride!! lol Im in CO on Sunday for the week ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Roughly a pound or 15% heavier. I'm going to assume most of the weight comes with the switch infinity system over carbon weight. Pretty keen to throw a leg over one.

Anyone know if Yeti demo bikes all the way down in Aus?
Noop, no demo Yetis. If you’re in Sydney though, go see the guys at Summit Cycles. They’ll like the be the first in the country with one on the shop floor. There seems to be a strong correlation between cool new bikes coming into the floor in L and the store manager also being a large

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not sure. I’m really happy with my SB4.5 so I’m going to Demo one at Yeti HQ in May so I can feel the difference myself. I’m pretty intrigued how short travel switch infinity will improve on the ASRc in regards to 100mm travel and I loved my ASRc
Fair enough, keen to hear how you find it.

I’m in the same boat about the 4.5, currently my only MTB and wondering if the 100 is going to be that more racey/fast that I’d want one

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm interested to hear your impressions of the the SB 100 compared to the 4.5 and ASR. I demoed a 4.5 in small and loved it, was the first time I'd ever gotten on a bike and felt like it fit just perfect! It rode beautifully, but I did prefer the snappiness when climbing of my ASR. (beti 27.5 version) If the SB 100 climbs pretty much the same, is a bit more forgiving on the downs, and feels similar in fit/geo to the 4.5, then I'm in! I'm wanting to move to bigger wheels, and the 4.5 is a little more bike than what I want. I'm hoping to get a chance to demo one in the next few months :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to beat you to that demo ride!! lol Im in CO on Sunday for the week ;)
Awesome, I look forward to your thoughts after you have your demo on Enchanted/ Apex.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, I have a 2017 SB4.5 that I like a lot.
I feel that climbing very steep stuff is a bit challenging (front wheel lift).
I am 5'9, ride a M with a 80 mm stem with no spacer.
If I get the SB100 frame and I keep my fox 34 (140) and swap the components, how will the 140 mm fork affect climbing ?
Maybe a better route would be to sell the 4.5 and get the SB100 (with the proper fork)

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
So, I have a 2017 SB4.5 that I like a lot.
I feel that climbing very steep stuff is a bit challenging (front wheel lift).
I am 5'9, ride a M with a 80 mm stem with no spacer.
If I get the SB100 frame and I keep my fox 34 (140) and swap the components, how will the 140 mm fork affect climbing ?
Maybe a better route would be to sell the 4.5 and get the SB100 (with the proper fork)
I think 140 would be stretching it, in terms of it riding anything remotely like the designers intended, AND you'd still have the front wheel lift challenge you have now.

Better might be to buy a ~$50 airshaft for your fork in 120 mm. Easy to install (or cheap for your LBS -- certainly less than an hour).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Subscribed, I'm eyeing one as my race-ish XC bike to replace the Trek. Would be my first Yeti, hope the pedal efficiency is similar/ better than the Trek Re:aktiv

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Kosmo, this makes sense.
I also got a 10mm rise 35/760 raceface bar (mine has a 20 mm rise) and got a 90 mm stem. This plus an airshaft will probably do the trick.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Subscribed, I'm eyeing one as my race-ish XC bike to replace the Trek. Would be my first Yeti, hope the pedal efficiency is similar/ better than the Trek Re:aktiv
Same boat, never owned a Yeti but looking for a new endurance race bike. I haven't ridden the Trek reactive stuff but I've heard good things.

I'm curious to hear how the rear works compared to the JS tuned VPP I'm currently on with my Primer.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
One thing I found out today is that the rear brake hose can only go in the opening on the non drive/ left side. So if you're using moto style brakes you end up with a sharp J bend on the left side, might look ok but it's not ideal.
Also that same hose is internal so you have to disconnect/ trim it first.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One thing I found out today is that the rear brake hose can only go in the opening on the non drive/ left side. So if you're using moto style brakes you end up with a sharp J bend on the left side, might look ok but it's not ideal.
Also that same hose is internal so you have to disconnect/ trim it first.
That kinda sucks. All my bikes (plus a lot of other countries standards) are Moto style. Something to think about anyway.

1 - 20 of 2430 Posts