Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3221 - 3238 of 3238 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
SB55 overhaul

Finished up my overhaul last week on my 2017 SB55. Wanted to post the list and some links within this discussion for anyone to look back on. Frame + triangle apart (cleaned, greased, torqued using yeti manual)

• Fox Float X rebuild (added 0.86 Inch Navy Blue spacer)
  • RWC Shock NB Kit

• RWC Shim needed
  • RWC Pivot + Switch Infiniti bearing kit (switch pulled apart and cleaned)

• ethirteen TRS Plus 12 Speed Cassette (trying out over $$$ SRAM)
  • Wolf Tooth oval 34T (equals 32T round up from 30T SRAM stock)
  • SRAM X01 chain (black)
  • New SRAM Slickwire cable
  • foam down the downtube

Extra tools (if you need)
RWC Shock Needle Bearing Tool

Bearing Pro Tools (nice $ alternative)

Only a few rides and everything feels great. Few tweaks needed on the shifting but I'm happy. FWIW, not sure on the oval ring... I think it is due to fact that I was waiting on items to come in (COVID delays) and riding my road bike a good amount. So, I was not going from round to oval say in a weekend and testing back to back. I'd say I feel more of a "spinning" sensation right now.

I'm also not the "type" who can really tell you this and that (details) when it come to say small bump compliance. I went up on the Fox spacer from the .4 to the .86 and it seems to work better. Also, the RWC kit is top notch and the Fox DU stuff was old but it does seem smoother!

Cheers and hope this helps anyone still shreddin' the ol' SB55 :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post, OLDGHOST! Did you use two of the 0.5 RWC shims (one on each side) to get the length close to what's called out in the Yeti manual? I went through and re-greased and re-torqued all my hardware (including the shock bushings and hardware) in hopes to get rid of creaking. Haven't give it a test ride yet, but I did notice that the rear shock mount seems prone to creaking. I'll get the RWC kit if the creaking continues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes the spacer kit comes with two, one for each side.

Thanks for the detailed post, OLDGHOST! Did you use two of the 0.5 RWC shims (one on each side) to get the length close to what's called out in the Yeti manual? I went through and re-greased and re-torqued all my hardware (including the shock bushings and hardware) in hopes to get rid of creaking. Haven't give it a test ride yet, but I did notice that the rear shock mount seems prone to creaking. I'll get the RWC kit if the creaking continues.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'll probably jinx myself for my next ride but no creaks after re-greasing/re-torqueing. I also happened to replace my Fox 36 fork, which apparently can develop a csu creak. I don't know if this indeed the culprit, but at least a new fork made the bike handle a heck of a lot better :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
lets hope that was it!
I'll probably jinx myself for my next ride but no creaks after re-greasing/re-torqueing. I also happened to replace my Fox 36 fork, which apparently can develop a csu creak. I don't know if this indeed the culprit, but at least a new fork made the bike handle a heck of a lot better :)
heck ya :thumbsup:
That's "like new" bike stoke!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So after a few good rides, the oval is very nice! One of the noticeable differences is getting the 29er monster bike out of corners and up our short punchy climbs. I'm def over-biked for most of our local stuff, where a SB115/100 or Spur would be ideal but this is a nice addition. Haven't hit any long N. Georigia climbs yet but I assume it will add a nice cadence/turn over.

·
Registered
211 Posts
are the sb5.5 holding up well or are there yeti crack complaints? If you built it with xo parts and decent wheels what weight ballpark are they? Thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Mine is still going strong, no problems yet (knock on wood). I just put on a Helm fork with 44mm offset and the bike rails out of turns!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Here's mine from today. Size karge..29lb on the nose. It's a 2016. 11 speed Xtr with garburak cassette, carbon wheels, enve bars, guide brakes..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all...i'm in the market for a used yeti and i came across a 2017 sb5.5 turq with the following build:

Fork: Rockshox Pike 160mm travel.
Shock: Fox Float X Factory (Kashima)
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle
Brakes: Shimano XT
Dropper: OneUp 170mm with PNW Loam Lever
Saddle: WTB Volt
Cranks: E-Thirteen TRSR carbon (175mm I think)
Pedals: Race Face Chesters
Handlebar: 800mm carbon "Race Face Next"
Grips: ODI Ruffian lock-ons
Front Wheel: Roval (29mm internal width) non-boost spacing (100mm)
Front Tire: Maxxis Assegai 2.50WT
Rear Wheel: Bontrager Line Comp 30 (29mm internal width) with upgrade 6 pawl (108 POE) hub with boost spacing (148mm)
Rear Tire: Maxxis DHRII 2.40WT

He's asking $3500 but i think he will come down some. What is a good price for this bike? It looks to be in really good condition. Also, how does the 2017 frame geometry and features compare to the new models? I've been riding a giant anthem x and looking to upgrade to something with more travel. I dont ride anything too crazy or do big drops but would like to be able to take it to a bike park from time to time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking to buy a used sb5.5

Hello all...i'm in the market for a used yeti and i came across a 2017 sb5.5 turq with the following build:

Rear Wheel: Bontrager Line Comp 30 (29mm internal width) with upgrade 6 pawl (108 POE) hub with boost spacing (148mm)

He's asking $3500 but i think he will come down some. What is a good price for this bike? It looks to be in really good condition. Also, how does the 2017 frame geometry and features compare to the new models? I've been riding a giant anthem x and looking to upgrade to something with more travel. I dont ride anything too crazy or do big drops but would like to be able to take it to a bike park from time to time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Not a terrible price, especially in this climate.

The 5.5 is a great bike; I loved mine. Bought to race enduro and even raced an XC race on it and a DH race at angel fire (down world cup start to finish). It handled everything and put me on some podiums in the pointy end of the field.

Geometry:
coming from the anthem X this will be a big change in terms of more stability. Its a really good bike. Very balanced geo. If you're pushing it down the steeps then modern geo is better. In any other circumstance theres not as huge benefits. You can always slack it out with an angleset adapter and/or 170 fork later.

Build:
I'd be wary of mismatched wheels - they're leftovers from other bikes, friends discarded parts. Could be as new or could be blown up. Hard to tell.

Fork and shock should be good even of a service is needed. Get some volume spacers to play around with to valance it out for what you like.

Brakes are solid as well.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
No that's not a good deal. The sb5.5 is a great bike, runs small...I was on an XL at 5'11". I wouldn't pay more than $2k for any bike 3-4 years old...no matter what the part spec. For that money you could get modern geo bike from Giant, Commencal, Ibis (AL), Santa Cruz(AL), Scott(AL). People seem to treat used bikes like they are rare gold coins but they are just depreciating toys. Just be patient and something better will come along.

·
Registered
172 Posts

is the fork non boost as well ? (deal beaker for me). otherwise i agree with Grizzy.

3221 - 3238 of 3238 Posts