Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3238 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I feel like that is the right price range. You might be able to get it for a little bit less? I would expect the frame to be perfect and the suspension recently serviced. You might want to make an offer. I know when I would be selling a Yeti in the past is because I purchased or ordered a new model and really wanted to reduce my stable. A couple hundred would give you some extra $$, in case you have issues with cassette wear etc. I also saw some limited sized selling brand new for less than $4k a couple months ago. They didn't have carbon wheels but were decent builds. If you are looking to replace the 100, I would look at a 4.5. It seems to pedal closer to the 100 and rocks downhill. I actually wish they had something like this now. If you can afford two bikes, the 100 and 5.5 are a great combo. Ride the 100 when you know you have a bunch of climbing and ride the 5.5 when you don't.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm considering purchasing an SB5.5. Is $4k too much to spend or should I consider getting a brand new Ibis ripmo AF? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Way too much. I love the 5.5, even more so than the sb130 (sold it), but not nearly as much as the sb150. But if you're going to throw down 4k and already have 29er boost wheels, I'd buy a frame/fork and some components and use your wheels between bikes. But I like your idea even more of something like a Ripmo aluminum(or Hightower aluminum or a Transition Sentinel, which by the way they have the nx carbon version on sale for 3200 complete bike). The thing about the 5.5 is it is dated, and that seat tube is really slack (<73 degrees on an XL) and it runs small. At 5.11, I rode an XL with a 40mm stem. I just think you can get much more than someone's old 5.5 for 4k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rear Axle Standard

Folks,

I'm looking for Axle data for the Yeti SB5.5. I have a Chariot kid trailer and need to buy a rear axle adapter. Does anyone know the length and thread pitch for the Yetis?

Thanks for the help!

Axle_Standards.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
176cm, 5’9 sizing? Medium/large?

Hi guys,
Sizing question, 2018 SB5.5, medium or large?
I am 176cm, 5’9. Ape index +1.
I had a 2016 Trek 29 superfly, hardtail size 17,5/18,5

I don’t have any personal preferences or riding style... yet. I am a newbie
so I don’t have much to go on here.

I have read through a lot of threads on the subject. About 75% says large.

So I am leaning towards large.

Can I get some advice?
Am I over thinking this? How bad could a large be?

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,051 Posts
Hi guys,

My son is 5-11 and is on a medium. He usually has preferred larger frames, however he really likes the medium in this bike.
Of course either will work, but had my SB95c been a Medium instead of a large, I’d probably still have it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hi guys,

I don’t have any personal preferences or riding style... yet. I am a newbie
so I don’t have much to go on here.

I have read through a lot of threads on the subject. About 75% says large.

So I am leaning towards large.

Can I get some advice?
Compare reach, top tube length and wheelbase between the 2 bikes and go from there. Do you want a bike that "feels" bigger, smaller or the same as what you currently have?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Compare reach, top tube length and wheelbase between the 2 bikes and go from there. Do you want a bike that "feels" bigger, smaller or the same as what you currently have?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks!
So I compared a trek superfly HT with SB5.5 medium and large

Trek superfly 17,5/18,5 Yeti SB 5.5 medium Large
Effective toptube/
top tube length 630 601 626
Stand over 776 743 754
Frame reach 427 421 442
Wheelbase 1116 1168 1195

( I am pasting from my phone, not sure how this gonna look)
So here are the numbers.
What do they say? Go large or medium?

I felt the superfly was maybe a bit long on the flats but alright on the trail.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The reach is kind of short on the 5.5 compared to the current crop of bikes (and not just Yetis), so I'd go for a large since it's still short at 442mm and would be ever shorter in medium. But it all depends on the stack height as well, since you don't want have your bars too high to feel comfortable and stable.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I can't get rid of a creak on my 5.5. I re-torqued everything to what it says on the service manual, yet creaking still goes on. I changed the bottom bracket earlier in the year so it's not that. I get the most creaking when pedaling seated, but also when standing on the pedals when the suspension moves.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Grease your switch infinity, check your chain ring bolts, grease pedals. If you have a ton of miles, you may need to have your frame bearings replaced or serviced.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I grease the switch infinity pretty frequently and don't have a ton of miles. Pedals are a possible culprit but the sound sure sounds like collet bolts since it's the same type of sound my Santa Cruz Nomad made.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same problem. Almost certainly you have bearing issues. Replace them. I replaced my BB also, to no avail. Once I replaced the bearings, all gone. You could extract and inspect them for wear and repack the grease to save money...but if you don’t already have a bearing press and comfort pressing into carbon, just take it to your LBS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd start with the simple things and work towards the complex things like pivot bearings. Stem bolts, seatpost bolts, pedals, axles etc can be quickly cleaned and greased and then head out around the neighborhood to hear results. If that doesn't fix the creaks then move on to bearings etc where you have to take the frame apart and have press tools on hand.

*Once it was my Ergon seat and post that just needed a cleaning (tire sprays right up in there)
**Not due to creaks but literally just finished a pivot and switch bearing update. After two years of normal wear/washing (no power) they were def grindy
***Collet bolts etc were not bad in terms of dirt but they are now super clean and greased

FYI picked up a set of bearing tools from Bearing Pro Tools https://www.bearingprotools.com/collections/tool-kits-for-yeti-bikes

Also if you do not have download your manual
https://www.yeticycles.com/manuals

Cheers

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
At first I thought it was my Ergon seat, but I hear the creak (although not as bad) when coasting standing on the pedals as the suspension actuates. I cleaned and re-torqued all collet bolts and at first it helped but the creaks came back within a week or two. From the manual, the only bearings are in the doglink which is nice since I didn't want to have to deal with pressing/extracting bearings from the frame itself like in the old SB66.

I'll give it one more good cleaning and retorquing to everything like Oldghost suggest, and if that doesn't work then it's new bearing time. Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’d clean/re-grease the shock bushings before messing the pivot. It’s simple and cheap if you need to replace. I go through mine whenever it starts to creak and it has always fixed it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The DU shock bushings have a tendency to wear quickly and creat a "clicking" sound...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine came with the 5-piece version, but they tend to creak after a while. I don’t know if it’s the Texas heat/sweat or what...

3201 - 3220 of 3238 Posts