Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 3238 Posts

·
Freezer
439 Posts
Good comments guys- thanks. To both your points, I can't even count the times I've messed with angle headsets, offset bushings, different travel forks and initially liked the change, but eventually went back to the spec settings. 160mm and 51 it is.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I first used a 46mm offset Pike on my 5.5 and the turning response was a little too quick to where it felt twitchy. I switched to a 36 with a 51mm offset and the bike felt more balanced, but it's a personal preference IMO. I think the super short offset is better with the very long top tube of current bikes but not the 5.5 since it's not really a 'long' bike.

·
Awesomist™
2,933 Posts
After 15 months and only a couple hundo shy of 2k miles on dirt, I'll be moving on from my 5.5. Clarice is hands down the best and funnest bike I've owned, and though I haven't owned as many bikes as some folks I've had a few.

She spent most of her time with me in the bone-stock X01 build configuration. The only change I've made was a few weeks ago when I scored a great deal on a 44mm offset Fox 36 Factory Grip2 170mm travel fork... a change that didn't net a ton of steering/handling difference to me, a little more responsive to small steering input but manageable. The new fork offers much improved traction and bump absorption a great deal over the 2018 Fit4 that came on the bike. At 6'1-5/8" I sized up to an XL, pushed the saddle all the way forward, and slammed the bars. She rides oh-so-nice and I am hopeful my next lady will treat me as well as Clarice. I've got a 2019 SB150 in size Large on the way... we'll see.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got a 2019 SB150 in size Large on the way... we'll see.
The 5.5 is a special bike (I had an XL too and have an L 150). You will love the 150, especially at your height. It climbs just as well (in some ways I could argue better) but descends steep stuff so well. Interesting that you put a 44 offset on the 5.5 which has a short front center already. I'm not on the short offset bandwagon and feel that it actually makes handling more sketchy at high speeds (especially when I've run 41 and 42 offset forks). But that 44 offset will go great with your 150. For me the sweet spot is 46 offset, which is my Lyrik with a different crown-steerer unit.

At first the sb150 felt kinda sluggish to me and I guess I could say riding slow....it is. But it just makes me push it harder and ride faster. I've also had people comment it maybe is "too much bike" in many situations but my response to that is it is more the rider than the terrain that it is too much for. If you really like to go for it (as your pic suggests) the Yeti is not too much bike. And if you live in a rocky part of the country, it certainly is not too much bike. And there's always the option to run lighter tires/wheels if you want to treat it more like a trail bike or are concerned about your climbing times.

·
Awesomist™
2,933 Posts
The 5.5 is a special bike (I had an XL too and have an L 150). You will love the 150, especially at your height. It climbs just as well (in some ways I could argue better) but descends steep stuff so well. Interesting that you put a 44 offset on the 5.5 which has a short front center already. I'm not on the short offset bandwagon and feel that it actually makes handling more sketchy at high speeds (especially when I've run 41 and 42 offset forks). But that 44 offset will go great with your 150. For me the sweet spot is 46 offset, which is my Lyrik with a different crown-steerer unit.

At first the sb150 felt kinda sluggish to me and I guess I could say riding slow....it is. But it just makes me push it harder and ride faster. I've also had people comment it maybe is "too much bike" in many situations but my response to that is it is more the rider than the terrain that it is too much for. If you really like to go for it (as your pic suggests) the Yeti is not too much bike. And if you live in a rocky part of the country, it certainly is not too much bike. And there's always the option to run lighter tires/wheels if you want to treat it more like a trail bike or are concerned about your climbing times.
Yeah the 44mm offset fork was just an experiment... the stock 160 travel 51mm offset fork will go back on when I sell it. So far, the 150 s treating me really well... I might put some more details in an appropriate thread. I'm no stranger to 150mm travel bikes, having owned both a 66c and a 6 previous to the 5.5. I'm not one to subscribe to a bike being "too much bike" really... and I do live somewhere there's rocks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I might put some more details in an appropriate thread. I'm no stranger to 150mm travel bikes, having owned both a 66c and a 6 previous to the 5.5. I'm not one to subscribe to a bike being "too much bike" really... and I do live somewhere there's rocks.
How about a pic of your new bike? Glad to hear you're rolling!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So I've started having creaking woes on my 5.5. I've only put about 250 miles on it so far, so it seems a bit premature to start having creaking. Other than the pressfit BB, anyone had either of the suspension links creak?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Let us know! I had a creak - greased all pivot points and it didn't help. Then it rained and it mysteriously went away. Also pretty sure it wasn't any of the other usual suspects. I wondered if maybe the switch infinity needed to be serviced since I have not done that yet...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the idea of a slacker head angle is good... If you need more wheelbase it is a good way to increase it.
I am thinking of getting a friend's 5.5 and tweak it.
Either -1.5, -2 degrees slacker and then correct with offset bushings to raise the bb and steepen the seat angle.
The wheelbase of an xl will be 1238-1243 respectively, which is spot on for me being 6"1
A fox x2 with loads of spacers in and we should be good.
The stack will be lower which is good since it is way to high.

Ideas?

Some people said buy a 150, yes but you can save 3k for an used 5.5 vs a new 150.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the idea of a slacker head angle is good... If you need more wheelbase it is a good way to increase it.
I am thinking of getting a friend's 5.5 and tweak it.
Either -1.5, -2 degrees slacker and then correct with offset bushings to raise the bb and steepen the seat angle.
The wheelbase of an xl will be 1238-1243 respectively, which is spot on for me being 6"1
A fox x2 with loads of spacers in and we should be good.
The stack will be lower which is good since it is way to high.

Ideas?

Some people said buy a 150, yes but you can save 3k for an used 5.5 vs a new 150.
I think if you can live with a relatively slack (by modern standards) seat angle, it would be viable... 3k buys a lot of forks/tires/brakes/road trips, etc...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think if you can live with a relatively slack (by modern standards) seat angle, it would be viable... 3k buys a lot of forks/tires/brakes/road trips, etc...
I think it does ok for pedaling. Only thing is that it is difficult to source an XL used, my friend's is L and way too short reach I am 6"1
Any idea on sizing?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think it does ok for pedaling. Only thing is that it is difficult to source an XL used, my friend's is L and way too short reach I am 6"1
Any idea on sizing?
Ya man, I’m 6’1 and rode a L 5.5 for a year and a half. It was way too small. I was all bunched up on the descents with the short reach. My hips would be super tight for a couple days after riding from being stuck in one riding position. Now I’m on a bike with a 500mm reach and am way happier. Lots of room to move around on the bike. Huge difference!

·
Ride with me in NZ
104 Posts
Hi there. I read through the bulk of this thread but I still have a question. I'm looking at buying a used 2017 5.5 and am wanting to know if there were any changes to the frame from then until it was discontinued. I don't know what month of 2017, just that it is the turq version with the XO1 build

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm considering purchasing an SB5.5. I currently own an SB100 but I'm looking for a other bike with a bit more travel. I've also owned an Ibis Mojo 3 and Pivot Mach 5.5. I love yeti's switch infinity system and wanted to get a other Yeti. I'd like a bike with at least 130-140mm Not looking to spend more than $4K. I was considering picking up a 2018 SB5.5 that has XO1 components and carbon wheels for $4k. Condition of the bike looks great and has been invisiframed wrapped since the beginning so no noticeable scratches or dents. Is $4k too much to spend or should I consider getting a brand new Ibis ripmo AF? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I’ve owned an SB5.5 and now an SB130LR. The difference comes down to sizing and what/how you ride. My bias is to the SB130. I like the longer reach and wheelbase. But I am a tall (6’4”) person. SB5.5 was too short on reach and too tall of a bike. SB5.5 is less confident in the steep stuff. Both have a 160 fork. SB5.5 has slightly more Rear travel than my SB130LR. Pedal platform is pretty much the same though Iam sure the newer models have a shock tune more specific to the bike kinematics. I’d say you can throw the SB5.5 around easier because it is a shorter frame. But in reality, the SB130LR is very nimble and precise handling. If I were you, I’d find an SB130 or SB130LR and spend a bit more for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 100, 5.5 and 5 (the last version set up with plus tires). I used to own a 4.5 that was my very first Yeti. I usually use the 5.5 or 5 as an every day rider and race the 100. The 5.5 is absolutely amazing and super fun to ride. It is a great climber and super fun when you go down. When you ride your 100, you will really appreciate the stiffness and pedaling efficiency. You will miss the fun of the 5.5. They compliment each other very well. What I did notice is the newer models (100,130 and 150) seem to have a few issues with bottom bracket height (too low) and issues with flex in the rear. I love the 100 for what it was intended to do but owning the 5.5 for 4 years, it rarely has an issue with creaking or anything. It may not be the latest but it is an amazing bike. If you can get a great component package and good wheels for a good price, you won't be disappointed. Plus, you will be a stronger pedaler on your 100 after riding the 5.5 all the time. I'm sure the 130 would be great too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I wanted another bike to compliment the SB100 or maybe even replace it since I don’t race. Just want a bit more travel for downhill yet not sacrifice too much on climbing. Again my choices were either the SB5.5 or the new Ibis Ripmo AF.

Do you think $4k is decent for a SB5.5 turq with XO1 components and carbon wheels (with DT Swiss 240 hubs)?

I have a 100, 5.5 and 5 (the last version set up with plus tires). I used to own a 4.5 that was my very first Yeti. I usually use the 5.5 or 5 as an every day rider and race the 100. The 5.5 is absolutely amazing and super fun to ride. It is a great climber and super fun when you go down. When you ride your 100, you will really appreciate the stiffness and pedaling efficiency. You will miss the fun of the 5.5. They compliment each other very well. What I did notice is the newer models (100,130 and 150) seem to have a few issues with bottom bracket height (too low) and issues with flex in the rear. I love the 100 for what it was intended to do but owning the 5.5 for 4 years, it rarely has an issue with creaking or anything. It may not be the latest but it is an amazing bike. If you can get a great component package and good wheels for a good price, you won't be disappointed. Plus, you will be a stronger pedaler on your 100 after riding the 5.5 all the time. I'm sure the 130 would be great too.

3181 - 3200 of 3238 Posts