Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3238 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new bike has been announced and I think it fits well into the current Yeti lineup. Obviously some people would have liked the ability to run plus sized rubber but I think Yeti doesn't feel this is the time for that project. Instead we get a nice balance with the spec sheet and Geo numbers as this bike will go H2H with the likes of the Remedy, Jeffsy, HighTower, E29 and many others. The big difference is this bike will be so capable go up as it will coming down with switch infinity.

The Silver is HOT !

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drool worthy

2016_Yeti_SB55c_Profile_Slv.jpg.1280x720_q65_crop_2x.jpg

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Numbers

160MM FORK
MD LG XL
A Seat Tube Length 445 483 521
B Toptube Length 601 626 652
C Headtube Angle 66.5 66.5 66.5
D Eff. Seattube Angle 73.6 73.6 73.6
E Chainstay Length 437 437 437
F Wheelbase 1168 1195 1222
G Estimated BB Height 346 346 346
H Standover 743 754 767
I Headtube Length 90 105 121
J Axle to Crown 567 567 567
K Offset 51 51 51
L Stack 610 624 639
M Reach 421 442 463
N Front Center 730 758 785
*All measurements are in millimeters
SIZING
MEDIUM 5'7" (170 CM) - 5'11" (180 CM)
LARGE 5'11" (180 CM) - 6'3" (191 CM)
X-LARGE 6'3" (185 CM) - 6'6" (198 CM)

2016_SB55c_GeoDiagram.png.600x0_q95_2x.jpg

·
Trail Ninja
6,041 Posts
Yeti Cycles – Bikes – SB5.5c

YetiSB55cGeo.jpg

29 only, up to 2.4 rear
Boost 148
PF92
No front derailleur mount
Frame weight 6.0 lbs

https://vimeo.com/162098553

Stock builds come with Boost 36 Float (only comes in 51mm offset), 45/50mm stem, 785/800mm bar, 30t ring. E1900, 350/XM 481, or 240/Enve M70 HV as stock rims/wheels. Crank length and dropper adjustment range unknown.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a E-13 Cassette 9-44T as well as 2 Nox Teocalli hoops in my garage ready for the GX build swap. I think I'd be okay with those wheels instead of the Farlows as I'd like to shave some weight off the 28.6 pound estimated. I'm sure the large frame will come in at 29 lbs.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lack of plus sized options is a huge miss IMO. Regardless it looks super capable (after you replace that Ardent in the rear)
It's not speced with the ardent but instead the Aggressor which is supposed to be a really capable rear option. Not many available yet as I've looked on a few sites to buy one to try.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Love the new specs ..2.5 dhf and 2.3 aggressor brings inline wth others. Guess start saving again.. Smh

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be interested to hear what Varaxis thinks about the numbers on paper compared to it's competition from the other manufactures.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Float X and Fox 36 160mm shows what the intentions of this bike are along with the 2.5 DHF up front. All business all the time. I think all the guys that rode the SB95 but were waiting will be ready to drop some coin. Not really an issue running 1x with the new casette options.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Float X and Fox 36 160mm shows what the intentions of this bike are along with the 2.5 DHF up front. All business all the time. I think all the guys that rode the SB95 but were waiting will be ready to drop some coin. Not really an issue running 1x with the new casette options.
Yup I was one of those guys and bought a 6c. Now I may have both lol damn you Yeti!!

·
Trail Ninja
6,041 Posts
I only correct people that try interpret things on paper incorrectly. :D

It's the less tangible stuff I'm mostly interested in, like just how stiff is this 6.0 lb frame. They said the 45c was the stiffest frame they ever made, and this one has added mass, besides from the shock. The numbers seem pretty comparable and I'm not a nerd that stresses over HA and CS length differences and try and attribute them to certain characteristics. I'm more of an "entire picture" kind of thinker, and try and pick it apart from different angles.

For example, with an EVOL air can on there, it would be pretty hard to bottom it out. But since it has a 348 BB, that might mean you can run DH sag levels in the rear (30-35%), considering it doesn't have as wallowy of a midstroke as other air shocks. The med's 90mm HT and the 66.5 HA gets the stack manageable at 610mm. Wheelbase is kept on par with others. Looks to have the same suspension curve as other SB bikes. I don't expect the Float X to have as good of a pedal platform/lockout as the Float DPS inline, due to the nature of its design.

Personally, I'm not interested, since I don't ride trails that are rough enough to leave enough left over to feel technical, after this thing eats it all up. Not into removing all the challenge from the trail, just to go fast as if that were my only intention. My E29 leaves plenty left over, since it's not the stiffest feeling frame around; kind of feels more like a 29er version of an Ibis Mojo HD3, a sort of long legged trail bike.

Hmm, wanted to compare the tube shaping and sizes, but it's extremely hard to get the overlay to show well enough. Definitely curvier, maybe trimmer at the junctions, and a bit bigger dimensions throughout:

SB45vSB55overlay.jpg

Ended up making a video to share. Looks like the only real major changes I see from the side are to the tube shaping is the vertical spar connecting the seat tube and chainstay at the pivot point areas being more rounded, chainstay dropping a little more in relation to the BB.

https://vimeo.com/162489501

Reactions: Terp

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It's a damn nice looking bike for sure and numbers seem spot on for intended usage, but WTF were Yeti thinking with that BS video of Rude and his team mate carving smooth trails in NZ? Does not show what a 140/160mm bike should be capable off, should have had them doing some trails like the EWS stuff, maybe Top Of the World in Whistler, not smooth trails you could rip on a rigid or HT.

BTW, great video by Vita,that's the sort of terrain they should have Rude ripping on, that's what really tests the stiffness and capabilities of a bike like this.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
get out your credit card skinny haha. looks awesome but no plus compatibility is lame in my opinion. geometry looks great though. i like that they specced it with a 160 fork for the gnar. mid fat is not garbage either. you have clearly never ridden one

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's a damn nice looking bike for sure and numbers seem spot on for intended usage, but WTF were Yeti thinking with that BS video of Rude and his team mate carving smooth trails in NZ? Does not show what a 140/160mm bike should be capable off, should have had them doing some trails like the EWS stuff, maybe Top Of the World in Whistler, not smooth trails you could rip on a rigid or HT.

BTW, great video by Vita,that's the sort of terrain they should have Rude ripping on, that's what really tests the stiffness and capabilities of a bike like this.
Its just a video.

·
I <3 dirt
1,430 Posts
get out your credit card skinny haha. looks awesome but no plus compatibility is lame in my opinion. geometry looks great though. i like that they specced it with a 160 fork for the gnar. mid fat is not garbage either. you have clearly never ridden one
It's garbage.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,411 Posts
Yep.

The interesting thing with the 4.5 and 5.5, is that now there is a clear line to take for what you like ride. The 95 was in the middle (but color be built to cater both) and I think many people were confused at the purpose / intention of the 4.5. Now there is a clear division.

And notice too, the 5.5 is only Medium / Large / XL.

1 - 20 of 3238 Posts