Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I think my AS-R needs some professional attention. In addition to the creaking that's developed (haven't pinpointed the source...maybe main pivot) it's due for some TLC. Where do my fellow NorCal Yeti-riders take their bikes and do you care if it's a shop that carries the Yeti brand? I just wonder because of the suspension parts.

Also, do you "overhaul" your bikes after so many hours, rides, years, etc? If so, what does that usually entail?

If you've had any negative shop experiences, feel free to PM me with that info so I can take that into consideration when checking out the shops myself.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Ack!
199 Posts
I have taken my Yeti to Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont. They do good work. One of the mechanics used to have a 575 and knows the ins and outs of yetis pretty well, and Charles the owner used to work at Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose which still carries the yeti brand.

One thing I have noticed about yetis is the pivot bushings are suseptible to creaking if you use water to clean your bike. I generally leave my bike dirty and the creaking has gone away. Oh and a little triflow on the pivots.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Bomber
982 Posts
I used to have a 575. Awesome bike. Replaced it with a Nomad and let me say I have some learning to do. That being said I overhauled the pivots twice on that sucker alone and worked around on a good customers as well. Brett also has a Yeti AS-R and maybe even more experience than me. That being said, we have the bearing press tool and a decent amount of experience with Yetis. Be forewarned though; call and make an appointment since it will take some time before we can take it in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
audi0phile said:
I used to have a 575. Awesome bike. Replaced it with a Nomad and let me say I have some learning to do. That being said I overhauled the pivots twice on that sucker alone and worked around on a good customers as well. Brett also has a Yeti AS-R and maybe even more experience than me. That being said, we have the bearing press tool and a decent amount of experience with Yetis. Be forewarned though; call and make an appointment since it will take some time before we can take it in.
Sorry for my unfamiliarity with the Norcal forum members, but who is this and which shop are you referring to? Thanks!

I'm guessing you have posted your impressions/comparisons of the 575 vs. Nomad somewhere here? I'd like to read that too even though mine is an AS-R. Just for future reference...not that I can afford a new bike. ;)

Dave

·
Bomber
982 Posts
It's all good. I be the one they call "Sterling" over at passion trail. Our shop is as much a community as it is a shop; hence a bit of mtbr interaction on our parts, and customers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not to take anything away from Passion Trail, but Trail Head Cyclery in San Jose deals in Yeti frames (and I assume service them too), may be a closer trip for ya. They're also a very highly regarded shop, just like Passion Trails.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
audi0phile said:
It's all good. I be the one they call "Sterling" over at passion trail. Our shop is as much a community as it is a shop; hence a bit of mtbr interaction on our parts, and customers.
Thanks for the info and intro. I first got a chance to visit your shop after the Giro de Peninsula a couple weekends ago. We were there to window shop and check it out and we agreed we liked the shop. Will be back I'm sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.