Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I haven't really checked out the Yeti web page since i bought my SB-66 in 2014. it was a close out 2013 model that I got in January.

I happened to log on recently to check some things out and I see that they've really changed their product offerings.

the SB bikes are only available in Carbon now. the cheapest 6" travel bike is 6,500 and the cheapest 5" is 5,000. the cheapest ASR is 4,100.

as I recall, when I bought my SB-66, the lowest end build kit was in the neighborhood of 3,800 or so.

now, the cheapest is 1,200 more than that.

is it just me or does it seem that they're kind of pricing out the average rider? I got a heck of a deal for my money at what I paid but I don't think I could justify spending 6,000 on a new 6" carbon yeti now.

I'm kind of disappointed in seeing this.

YR

·
Registered
585 Posts
you would think the best would come with a company that actually stands behind it's product
Umm....5 year frame warranty?

Back to the op, a bike that will get you podiums in the EWS or other top level race series will likely be pricey. A small company would be stretched too thin with a full line like trek or spec so they chose to focus on the top end.

Anyway, just get the best bike that fits your budget, get out on the trails, and have faith in diminishing returns.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with OP on being disappointed. Both my wife and I own Yetis (575 and SB66). Yet if we were shopping for new bikes now, all the new offerings would be out of our range. Maybe this makes business sense, but it still seems sad. I don't like that mountain biking seems to have become prohibitively expensive so quickly over the past couple years, especially as carbon has taken off. Not everyone can 'pony up'. i'd like to see Yeti re-introduce some reasonably affordable 'Enduro' built bikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, Yeti going all-in on the dentist crowd is a little tough, but it is what it is. My shop couldn't get a SB95c 2 summers ago so I ended up with the aluminum version and a serious case of carbon envy - I'll be dropping in on a new bike possibly as soon as end-of-season, and really hope Yeti doesn't price me out of the Tribe. The new Ripley from Ibis has some good options across a range of prices, and it'll be hard to justify a $7k XT spec'd Yeti if the same build comes in under $6k for the Ibis.

If their strategy works, more power too 'em - hopefully the new SI 29er makes it an easy decision. The 95 has been a kickass bike and I'm super happy with it.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Hey guys-

As most of you surmised, we aren't trying to alienate anyone. We simply realized that we're a small company, and we can't win every battle. One battle that we can win is making the best bikes on the planet. I'd objectively put any of our bikes up against anything else in the same category, and I'd be very confident of favorable results. Independent tests and reviews tend to support this.

We're working on some more options at some point in the future, but for now, you can see what we offer. There's no way around it - our price points are high, and the only thing that's a reflection of is the fact that making the best bikes on the market is an expensive endeavor.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Yeti never has been and never will be a brand for everyone, and that's okay. We'd love to have each one of you on our latest and greatest, but if something in our lineup doesn't suit your needs in terms of price/geo/travel/performance/color/etc., we wish you well with another brand. It will be sad to see you go, but we'd much rather see you out on the trails with something you love than riding a Yeti you're not psyched about.

Cheers,

JP

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Hey guys-

As most of you surmised, we aren't trying to alienate anyone. We simply realized that we're a small company, and we can't win every battle. One battle that we can win is making the best bikes on the planet. I'd objectively put any of our bikes up against anything else in the same category, and I'd be very confident of favorable results. Independent tests and reviews tend to support this.

We're working on some more options at some point in the future, but for now, you can see what we offer. There's no way around it - our price points are high, and the only thing that's a reflection of is the fact that making the best bikes on the market is an expensive endeavor.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Yeti never has been and never will be a brand for everyone, and that's okay. We'd love to have each one of you on our latest and greatest, but if something in our lineup doesn't suit your needs in terms of price/geo/travel/performance/color/etc., we wish you well with another brand. It will be sad to see you go, but we'd much rather see you out on the trails with something you love than riding a Yeti you're not psyched about.

Cheers,

JP
Best bikes on the planet?
Maybe you wanted to say one of the best bikes on the planet?
Your bikes are good, but are they really the best?
At least Yeti seems to think so, and the pricing shows it...
Me, not so much.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Best bikes on the planet?
Maybe you wanted to say one of the best bikes on the planet?
Your bikes are good, but are they really the best?
At least Yeti seems to think so, and the pricing shows it...
Me, not so much.
Yes, I meant to say "best bikes on the planet." I firmly believe that, and having had the chance to ride a ton of the competitors, it's an informed opinion which also happens to be backed up by piles of independent tests and reviews that say the same thing.

If you don't agree, no worries man! Cheers to having your own point of view. I hope whatever you take out on the trails puts a smile on your face.

JP

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Yes, I meant to say "best bikes on the planet." I firmly believe that, and having had the chance to ride a ton of the competitors, it's an informed opinion which also happens to be backed up by piles of independent tests and reviews that say the same thing.

If you don't agree, no worries man! Cheers to having your own point of view. I hope whatever you take out on the trails puts a smile on your face.

JP
Haha, thanks man, the smile will be worn for sure.
All bikes are a compromise in one way or another.
I for once would not even consider a bike with a chain stays longer than 17" these days or a bike with a press fit BB, or a company which says they are understaffed because they need to keep cost down. Which is ironic, because the cost of their bikes is one of the highest in the industry.

How about your "preproduction" braking frames fiasco and its handling in the press?

I see it must take a big fan or a real believer to pick one company and say it is the the best in the world....

You come on too strong. Honestly, it just puts me off.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
... If you don't agree, no worries man! Cheers to having your own point of view. I hope whatever you take out on the trails puts a smile on your face...
Way to take the high road.

jazzanova said:
... You come on too strong. Honestly, it just puts me off.
Dude seriously, what do you expect? Too strong? This guy founded a company that's been playing the game from the early days. So you don't care for the bikes and think they are overpriced. BFD. Opinions ... everybody has one.

Maybe stop whining on the interwebs and go buy something else. And then, go ride it.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Haha, thanks man, the smile will be worn for sure.
All bikes are a compromise in one way or another.
I for once would not even consider a bike with a chain stays longer than 17" these days or a bike with a press fit BB, or a company which says they are understaffed because they need to keep cost down. Which is ironic, because the cost of their bikes is one of the highest in the industry.

How about your "preproduction" braking frames fiasco and its handling in the press?

I see it must take a big fan or a real believer to pick one company and say it is the the best in the world....

Thanks for the input... I'll take your advice to heart.

Way to take the high road.

Dude seriously, what do you expect? Too strong? This guy founded a company that's been playing the game from the early days. So you don't care for the bikes and think they are overpriced. BFD. Opinions ... everybody has one.

Maybe stop whining on the interwebs and go buy something else. And then, go ride it.
To be clear, I did not found Yeti (that was a much more famous John P.). I did have a hand in founding both Evil Bikes and e13 components back in the day, but that's another story...

Anyway, no need for negativity from anyone in here. I'm just posting my opinions and stating facts when I can offer some insight. I enjoy hearing from others as well. It's all good stuff.

JP

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never said that didn't cost or the best isn't expensive. I understand the designers triangle. one point of the triangle is cheap. one point is lightweight. one point is strong. you can only have two.

my point was simply that only two years ago you could by a 575 with the lowest component build kit for under 4 grand. now, the cheapest 6" travel build kit is 6 grand. that's a huge hike when there's no other model or option available.

two years ago you could buy the lowest end 575 for 4 grand but you could buy that same bake with a carbon rear end and higher component build for much more. there were different options at different price points.

now, while there are different options, I wouldn't necessarily say they are at different price points. now, there's just expensive, way expensive, and I've got more money than I know what to do with. at least before there was an affordable option.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Thanks for the input... I'll take your advice to heart.

To be clear, I did not found Yeti (that was a much more famous John P.). I did have a hand in founding both Evil Bikes and e13 components back in the day, but that's another story...

Anyway, no need for negativity from anyone in here. I'm just posting my opinions and stating facts when I can offer some insight. I enjoy hearing from others as well. It's all good stuff.

JP
I am sorry man. Now when I re-read my previous response I feel I was a bit harsh.
I have not ridden your new bikes yet and who knows, maybe they really are that good. The reviews, how you mentionened, indicate that.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Fyi, John p works for yeti. If someone tried to sell me a $7k bike and DIDN'T think it was the best out there, that would put me off.

Plus we're in the yeti forum. The worst thing that's happened was being told yeti is sorry they can't serve broader markets right now but plenty good options are out there so we can still have fun.

Edit: whoa slow response of the day. Looks like we're all friends again so time for me to shut up!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
...my point was simply that only two years ago you could by a 575 with the lowest component build kit for under 4 grand. now, the cheapest 6" travel build kit is 6 grand. that's a huge hike when there's no other model or option available...
If you've ever worked in a bike shop, you'd know that many many customers shop a price point. They come in, they say they don't want to spend more then $3K. So you start showing them the bikes you have within a couple hundred dollars of that price.

So 8-10 years ago you could line up a 575 Enduro Kit with a mid-level StumpJumper and a mid-level Giant Trance and ...

It was hard for the basic 575 Enduro to stack up well against the big boys' bikes at a similar price point. Giant and Specialized and Trek Corp make zillions of frames, buy crates and crates of components. Their basic per unit cost structure is completely different.

So when I was standing there in the shop selling bikes, I would explain to people about the things that made a Yeti special. I'd get them to go ride all the bikes. Some of them couldn't get over the fact that they could get better derailleurs and cranks on a cheaper bike if they went with a major. Some frankly didn't like the ride. Others came back with a grin and decided that the difference was worth it to them.

Small company, small economies of scale. Playing the game where you try to joust with the big boys at half a dozen or more price points is certainly a way to go. But an equally valid way to go is to say, "We are an upscale brand. We will compete with upscale bikes. We will simplify our product line with focus on competing in the high end market."

Just to take this to a ridiculous place to make a point: should Yeti start making $400 comfort bikes? Why not? Isn't it unfair that if I want a Yeti and I only have $400 to spend there shouldn't be one there for me?

Yeti decided not to make comfort bikes. Or entry level bikes.

Deciding which markets to compete in and which one to leave to others is part of running a big enterprise. It's a high-stakes game. Lots of big companies lose that game every year. Knowing what I know about microeconomics, the industry, and Yeti in particular, their strategy to give up the entry-level and mid-level game seems pretty damn smart.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts