Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
This was a CL find from early in the year. I won't go too deeply into the details, but it was bought from the original owner who bought directly from Yeti HQ ~1995. Because it was a bare frame at the time, he was able to select the color of his choice, in this case, plum. All it took was a few minutes with Meguiar's to bring out the deep shine and near flawless finish.

All this time the owner thought it was a Pro Fro, and his CL ad reflected it. I was pretty darn ignorant; I thought I had bought a Pro FRO, too, cuz I knew nothing about the idiosyncracies of the Yeti way or production. Thanks to the assistance of the VRC Yeti freaks (2 of whom are within just minutes from me, and a 3rd just 30 minutes), I came to learn it was actually a straight-gauge, PATCO tubed FRO that was stickered in 1995 as though it had been a Tange-tubed Pro FRO. Me bad. It appears to be a '92 vintage FRO, finished in '95.

It came with a 1-1/4" CK threaded HS, RS Mag 20 w/aftermarket brace (for sale, btw), original version XT 330 mm post, and perfect, early Ringle stem w/ removable face place. All that came off and into the bowels of my garage.

I was able to source some parts locally (thanks to Rumpfy for the M900 brakes and Chris Herting modern rendition of a "somewhat" NOS Yeti fork), and some I pulled from my spares (White Industries/Mavic wheels, original SPDs, M900 rr. der. and controls). The seller later gave me his M900 front deraileur that had come off the bike. But nearly all else was from eBay (incl. the 3-D violet stuff), except for things like cables and HS spacers, which I got from my local Cycle Path store.

I mixed a little modern (carbon Yeti bar and alloy stem, Kalloy 26.6 post) with the old to make it "old guy" friendly, i.e., riser bar for the tired back. The Yeti San Marco Concor Lite saddle, and nearly NOS M900 crank/UN91 BB were the best scores, I thought, in addition to the Herting fork.

I hope to see you all at Sea Otter!

Attachments

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rumpfy said:
Came out really great.

And dare I say the stem/bars aren't so bad either. Probably helps it ride really well actually.
Thanks for the kind words. Yep, I'm loving it. I rode it on its maiden excursion to the farmer's market, today, after stopping by Yetified's place so he could drool, which, btw, he did in buckets.

Here are a couple more shots.

Attachments

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bushpig said:
Great restoration. I am surprised by the 26.6 post.
Thanks! Yep - even Yetified was surprised by the 26.6. He's still a bit baffled by it, yet, 26.6 it is. Let me tell you it's darn near impossible to find a post longer than 330 mm in that size. I think it's a roadie size, basically. I tried to slip a 26.8 into the seat tube, but no way would it.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
scooderdude said:
Thanks! Yep - even Yetified was surprised by the 26.6. He's still a bit baffled by it, yet, 26.6 it is. Let me tell you it's darn near impossible to find a post longer than 330 mm in that size. I think it's a roadie size, basically. I tried to slip a 26.8 into the seat tube, but no way would it.
we have to thank kalloy huh? we sneer at those taiwan parts and yet they save our azzes more than we admit.;)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nice! Good job!

My 2 cents:

Ritchy used to make a cool-nitto 26.6 post. I have one on my Fat Chance.

I have one of those XT post on an old Scott team. it's been thru hell, and still straight!

I'd throw that back on, if it's in good shape. Kalloy just doesn't seem right on that sweet frame.

Keep searching that auction site, you never know...

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KDXdog said:
I have one of those XT post on an old Scott team. I'd throw that back on, if it's in good shape. Kalloy just doesn't seem right on that sweet frame.

I would, but at 330mm, the XT post is short enough that I risk breaking the frame at that vulnerable triple junction at the top of the seat tube. I needed a post that could be inserted further, hence the 400 mm Kalloy. Yep - I have several Ritchey seatposts that are rebadged Kalloy or Nitto units from that early 90s era, including the one now on my '89 Timber Comp. Seems kinds mute, hence, and much safer for the frame, as I plan to ride this thing. The good news is the Kalloy post has no discernable label!

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
I'm happy to see my old frame treated right. I never gave it the respect or love it deserved. I'm sure it is way happier with you. Good work! :thumbsup:

I'll be at sea otter, too. Are you bringing the yeti?

-Damon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts