Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Yeti Big Top together. After breaking 3 Niner AIR 9 frames, I went with something beefier. Maiden voyage will be this Saturday at a 6 hour endurance race in Arkansas (too much snow in WI). I'm a cat 1 racer, mostly road, but plan on doing some WORS and endurance races.

1x10 gearing 36-12x34
Stans ATR crest front wheel, Cane Creek rear
Waiting on my 12x142mm rear wheel to arrive.
2011 Fox F29
MRP direct mount chain guide

I'll get a weight sometime tonight

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Zenboy, looks spot on! I'm close to buying a frame and I'm wondering how it rides. It looks like you're a pretty tall bloke and I'm curious what the slacker angles felt like on an endurance race (I'm a 6'3" 225 clyde). I have an EMD and its pretty harsh and am hoping the carbon rear end is more than just marketing.
Any feedback would help as I'm not going to have a chance to demo.
Cheers, Medz

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the Slant Six's from the bike shop that sponsors me. They are awesome tires. I rode small block 8's all last year. These seem to roll about the same, but have more grip. I won't be going back to small block 8's.

My last bike was a Niner Air 9 with a Reba fork (9mm axle) and Cane Creek wheels (I'm still using the rear until my Stans wheel shows up). The Niner is much more aggressive geometry.

We're still a month away from riding outside in Wisconsin, so I've only ridden this bike at the Arkansas 6 hour endurance race and at Ray's indoor mountain bike park. From those two experiences I can tell you this bike is MUCH more solid. The handling at speed is amazing, much faster and more stable on the decents. Climbing is better on the Yeti, it feels much more solid and I have it spec'd out lighter than my Niner.

The combination of the 1.5" head tube, slacker geometry and Fox 15mmQR fork really make a difference. All the mountain bike races I do are at least 2 hours long, with two kids under 4 my back is starting to wear out, so going to a more comfortable bike is nice.

Also, the wishbone in the rear did not collect mud like everyone thought it would. Not sure how to explain that. I thought for sure I would be scraping mud off it all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Zenboy, I am on the verge of building a niner air 9 carbon but your comments have me concerned on whether I am making the correct decision. I currently ride a yeti 575 and looking to change. Are you a large guy and would you still reccommend the air 9

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've broken 3 Niner AIR 9 frames, the scandium version, not the carbon. I don't know anything about the carbon frame. I liked the Niner AIR 9 because it was cheap and came in a raw color. I'm also a 6'4" tall cat 1 weighing 185-190

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I need a solid bike, I seem to have a habit of breaking stuff too. Looks like you have a large frame there - did you get a weight on it before you built it up?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would love to know what you are looking at weight wise.

I have always been happy with the ride quality of my Yetis.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
24.6 pounds on a cheap scale. Should be under 24 once I get the new rear wheel. Waiting on Stans to build it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts