Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Yeti Big Top together. After breaking 3 Niner AIR 9 frames, I went with something beefier. Maiden voyage will be this Saturday at a 6 hour endurance race in Arkansas (too much snow in WI). I'm a cat 1 racer, mostly road, but plan on doing some WORS and endurance races.

1x10 gearing 36-12x34
Stans ATR crest front wheel, Cane Creek rear
Waiting on my 12x142mm rear wheel to arrive.
2011 Fox F29
MRP direct mount chain guide

I'll get a weight sometime tonight

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awesome looking build. Post some pics after that thing gets dirty. :D

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Looks like you left the ISCS 05 mount on the bike, even though you did not use it...I'd think a racer type like you would be counting every gram...:p

Any difficulty mounting the MRP guide? I am considering the same for my BT build.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snigs said:
Looks like you left the ISCS 05 mount on the bike, even though you did not use it...I'd think a racer type like you would be counting every gram...:p

Any difficulty mounting the MRP guide? I am considering the same for my BT build.
Good catch, I ended up taking it off. No problems at all mounting the MRP guide, just had to get the height right. 6 hours on a somewhat rough Arkansas trail and the chain stayed on the whole time

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Nice build. Did you get the MRP direct mount guide from Krispy at Go-Ride? I remember someone calling about one for a Big Top.

I've been riding my Big Top all winter. I need to get some build pics up ASAP.

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Really want one...

Can you write about how this bike rides in specific detail to:

Climbing
Rough chop
Descending

I live in AK and would love to pick this bike up this spring. I ride a 5 inch trail bike all over the place, but all that suspension isn't always necessary. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Elfbkr50 said:
Can you write about how this bike rides in specific detail to:

Climbing
Rough chop
Descending

I live in AK and would love to pick this bike up this spring. I ride a 5 inch trail bike all over the place, but all that suspension isn't always necessary. Thanks for your thoughts.
bikesinmud said:
How's the 100mm up front?
I just ordered mine and will be building it SS.
My fork choice is the F100 terralogic.
Finally got out on my new BT build at Buffalo Creek in CO's front range...and man it rocked. Built mine up with the 12 mm through in back. Climbed so well as a 1x9 both seated and standing...and compared to my 7, what a difference 8 lbs. can make. :p Good in some rough stuff, but remember it's a hardtail so don't expect magic results. The F29 is buttah. Besides, I built this bike to rail smooth fast trails. And it does...descending was a blast. Handling is stable and predictable; very fun to ride just about everywhere.

However, I desperately need something like the MRP 1.X...the Blackspire Stinger I installed from my "parts box" kept the chain off the frame but did not do very well keeping the chain on...dropped about 10 times.

I'll post some pix sometime soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have issues with creaking coming from the BB on their Big Top?

I built one up with Sram X9 2x10, King hubs, Stans crest rims, Time Atac XS pedals, Thomson post and stem, Race Face carbon bars..

The bike rides great, but the creaking is driving me nuts. I had the bb pulled and regreased, but the creaking came back after a couple of miles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
MikeTB said:

I built one up with Sram X9 2x10, King hubs, Stans crest rims, Time Atac XS pedals, Thomson post and stem, Race Face carbon bars..

The bike rides great, but the creaking is driving me nuts. I had the bb pulled and regreased, but the creaking came back after a couple of miles.
Did you chase the threads and face the face?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MikeTB said:

I haven't had any issues. I was actually really impressed with the machining and facing of the head tube and bottom bracket.

·
Registered
360 Posts
zenboy99 said:
I haven't had any issues. I was actually really impressed with the machining and facing of the head tube and bottom bracket.
When the shop that built my ARC received the frame from Yeti they said the same thing. The owner told me they had never received a frame that was so perfectly prepped. He said the HT face had a mirror finish on it. They chased the BB for good measure and called it good.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My LBS was also impressed with the machining. We think its in the drive train and will be trying a few things to figure it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
how did it do for endurance racing?

Wondering if you guys have had the chance to get an endurance race on this, and if so, how it did? Were you beaten senseless by the last hour, or do those carbon stays damp the chop well enough?

Also curious how this thing handles in tight technical terrain? The angles are slack, but it is a Yeti.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just did my first race with my Big Top in Fruita, CO this past weekend. I would say the terrain was rocky, one or two 12" drops and some fast steep climbs. The bike held up super well. Felt very stable and fast. It was about 18 miles.

My body didn't feel any worse than it did on my 5.5" 26" Full Suspension.

I am running tubless with about 25psi. That probably helped with some additional cushion.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Mattlock26 said:
Wondering if you guys have had the chance to get an endurance race on this, and if so, how it did? Were you beaten senseless by the last hour, or do those carbon stays damp the chop well enough?

Also curious how this thing handles in tight technical terrain? The angles are slack, but it is a Yeti.

Thanks!
Surprisingly my taint and back don't hurt at all after riding the BT on rough trails. I guess those carbon stays are doing the job. :thumbsup: I ride a WTB Silverado anniversary seat, FYI. Even on my first ride on it I felt great after 2.5 hours. As far as handling goes it is not the snappiest of bikes in tight stuff, but maybe that is a life-long 26er rider speaking. It has taken me a few ride to get it right. But it gets better everytime. Overall it feels great to be back to basics on a hard tail. I think my 7 is getting jealous (so I bought it a Gravity Dropper post to make it feel better). :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as racing goes, this is a good bike for longer distance races in my opinion with the laid back geometry and carbon rear. This is a lot more comfortable than other XC hardtails I've raced on, but it's also slower in the tight stuff. I'm hoping to try a Cane Creek angle set next year to tip it up half or a full degree.

The bike is solid though, and that's what I love about it. Solid rear when climbing, stiff front while steering and braking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts