Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
dmananderson said:
Which do you think is better for agressive trailriding, freeriding, and downhill shuttle runs. Any imput and pics are great.
In my opinion, the SC Bullit. The quality and performance of the frame are great! But thats just my opinion. :)

·
bored
168 Posts
The Transition is heavier, and it comes with a Romic, whereas the Bullit and AS-X are about .5 lbs apart in weight, feel similar when riding, and come with a 5th Element, plus the AS-X has a 1.5" head tube should you ever want a Sherman single crown. I currently ride my AS-X with a Boxxer and race-oriented DH parts for freeride and for shuttled and lift-accessed riding, and it simply rips it up. With a 5"-6" fork, an AS-X would also be a killer aggressive trailbike. Obviously, my vote goes to the AS-X. Check this out, and keep in mind that the review was done with a 5" fork, so a 7" Sherman Breakout Plus would make it just that much sweeter on the descents, but still able to lower to 5": http://go-ride.com/artmag_asx.html

·
Registered
896 Posts
dmananderson said:
I already have a manitou sherman firefly 1 1/8. Do you know of a manufacture that makes the shims for the yeti asx. thanks
You can get either a 1.5 converting headset like the XC from cane creek, or spacers to use with a standard 1 1/8 headset. However I think that using spacers will increase stack height which actually might be a good thing with a 5 inch fork on an asx

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Tully said:
The Transition is heavier, and it comes with a Romic, whereas the Bullit and AS-X are about .5 lbs apart in weight, feel similar when riding, and come with a 5th Element, plus the AS-X has a 1.5" head tube should you ever want a Sherman single crown. I currently ride my AS-X with a Boxxer and race-oriented DH parts for freeride and for shuttled and lift-accessed riding, and it simply rips it up. With a 5"-6" fork, an AS-X would also be a killer aggressive trailbike. Obviously, my vote goes to the AS-X. Check this out, and keep in mind that the review was done with a 5" fork, so a 7" Sherman Breakout Plus would make it just that much sweeter on the descents, but still able to lower to 5": http://go-ride.com/artmag_asx.html
i think Krispy was running a Z1 150mm, ~ 6"? might be wrong, too lazy to skim the article...

do you swap out your boxxer with a smaller fork for general trailriding? i'm thinking of doing this too, maybe with the Z150

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I chose a bullit w/ DHX 5.0 over a Yeti ASX w/ 5th. the bullit also cost me over $100 less than the ASX. nothing wrong with the bullit or the ASX. Both are pretty versatile. But if you don't want to wait a long ass time for your bullit make sure its in stock before you commit. I've waited almost 2 months for my bullit and still no word on when I should have it. Actually this kind of things make me feel like I wont be buying from SC again. I don't like waiting this long for a frame.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Another vote for the Yeti ASX

·
Registered
392 Posts
I actually logged onto Mtbreview tonight to post this exact topic. I'm in the same bind.

Everything I've read about the Dirtbag has been great, they're a local company and it's a great price...but the frames aren't expected in until March.

Found a LBS who can get me on a 05 Yeti with a Slider+ for a decent price. I'm still trying to be swayed on this bike. Is it a big hucker? Can it take the abuse? Heard some things about the BB being too high or in a weird position? I haven't seen one in person...yet. The Bullits look really burly in person but not so much in pictures, is this how the Yeti is? All reviews make the ASX seem like a super aggresive trail bike but not something capable of big drops...

I love the Bullit but have yet to find a bargain on a complete Bullit with decent components, but I know what the Bullit is capable of (everything)

I plan to use it as a strict freeride/whistler bike as I have an enduro for trail/aggresive trail riding

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Med. Bullit (just something about the way that size handles), I do everything on it. Long XC rides w/climbs, though torturous, to DH racing to DJ'ing to drops. Two pieces, 1 shock, nice and simple. Looks killer too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Asx

dmananderson said:
Which do you think is better for agressive trailriding, freeriding, and downhill shuttle runs. Any imput and pics are great.
I have an ASX and love it. pedals good for 7" of travel and just plush on the rough stuff. I have the breakout plus on the front of mine. Mine is i 04 with the 5th element. Have not ridden the 05 with the fox.

Craig

·
Registered
808 Posts
thesacrifice said:
Is it a big hucker? Can it take the abuse? Heard some things about the BB being too high or in a weird position? I haven't seen one in person...yet. The Bullits look really burly in person but not so much in pictures, is this how the Yeti is? All reviews make the ASX seem like a super aggresive trail bike but not something capable of big drops.
Have you done any research on the ASX? There's plenty of proof out there that it's a capable big hit bike. If you think the Bullit is capable of "everything', as you put it, rest assured that the AS-X is as capable, and maybe more - burlier frame construction (imo), 1.5 headtube, stiffer and more progressive rear end, better pivot placement = better pedaling, travel/head angle adjustability...
BB height? With the stock Breakout + it's somewhere around 14", so nothing out of ordinary for this type of bike.
Also, the new 05 AS-X comes stock with a Fox DHX 5.0, which I understand is an upgrade on the Bullit (correct me if I'm wrong).
Check out some pics on Flowriders' website, and decide for yourself if an AS-X can be used as a hucking/drop/big hit bike...
Until I got my Intense Spider, I was using the Yeti for literally everything - from xc rides to dh shuttle runs, and it did great. Now I swapped the Breakout + for a 888R, so no more trail riding :) , unless I feel like swapping the forks sometime. Sure it's not an "ideal" dh rig, but then it does more than any dedicated dh rig will ever be able to do

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.