Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success under Graves in the EWS. I watched a recent interview with him and when he was asked if he was going to change wheel sizes for this years EWS, he said "no".
From what I heard it wasn't just relatively low numbers. The number was more like zero for both 66a and 66c orders from dealers, and they had to decide whether to do another production run or not. I still may try to find a large. I just got an ARC carbon and I'm pretty happy with it. A 66 would cover all my bases for anything more than xc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It was 12. There where only a dozen orders for the 26" super bike.
Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

·
EDR
10,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

I don't think the Enduro season will make one bit of difference one way or the other. The general public pays no attention to racing. Heck, I am an avid mountain biker and I pay no attention.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts

Graves came 2nd in the Enduro World Series and 3rd in the DH World Champs on what was essentially the same bike, if that wasn't good enough showing then I don't know what would be? 26" is dead, that's an absolute fact, I'm just excited to see the SB76c which will happen as a result of all of this. :)

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
JJ, it isn't that the bike doesn't show well, it's that the lemmings are being told 26 is dead and the listen because they have no brain cells of their own.

It's the same problem that kept 29ers a fad for ten years.

Oh, wait, 29ers are *still* just a fad.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
JJ, it isn't that the bike doesn't show well, it's that the lemmings are being told 26 is dead and the listen because they have no brain cells of their own.

It's the same problem that kept 29ers a fad for ten years.

Oh, wait, 29ers are *still* just a fad.
OK maybe me saying they're dead was a poor choice of words, but as far as new 26" bikes being launched, well that's just not happening. As I say, I'd love a '66, I'm definitely not an elitist wheel size fascist or a "lemming" come to mention it! ;)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OK maybe me saying they're dead was a poor choice of words, but as far as new 26" bikes being launched, well that's just not happening. As I say, I'd love a '66, I'm definitely not an elitist wheel size fascist or a "lemming" come to mention it! ;)
I like lemmings. With a little bit of Sriracha sauce, they're delicious!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year. I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling. I don't have any hard numbers but from what my LBS says they are not selling as well as they hoped. They also have a top range SC Bronson that has sat in the window for almost a whole year now. Even at 20% off no one is buying it.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year. I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling. I don't have any hard numbers but from what my LBS says they are not selling as well as they hoped. They also have a top range SC Bronson that has sat in the window for almost a whole year now. Even at 20% off no one is buying it.
Interesting, yes the Uprising is a very good 26" but it's not a high volume seller, I wonder how well the Trek Fuel 26" still sells, that would give a much better indication I'm betting...

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year.
Not a knock on Evil at all (hell, I literally founded the company!), but I wonder how many they're selling? I sincerely hope it's a lot, because that company is my baby.

I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling.
SB75's and 575's are each selling more than 50:1 over the 66.

I've got no agenda here, guys. A year and a half ago, you could not find a bigger advocate of 26ers than me, and I'm still in love with my 66C. I'm just trying to give you hard data and facts.

JP

Reactions: doodooboi

·
Registered
849 Posts
50:1! Ouch, that is very surprising. Not to complicate things further...but I often wonder about the role of the consumer here. Bike shops place orders...consumers more or less have to buy what's offered. So even if they want that 26, they are forced to go 27.5. I find with the 27.5 movement, the companies are driving demand more than consumers (although this is always the case to some degree, just more pronounced in this case).

I frankly don't really mind one way or the other. I don't see 27.5 as all that different, so it's quite a bit different from having to make the move from 26 to 29.

·
EDR
10,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I frankly don't really mind one way or the other. I don't see 27.5 as all that different, so it's quite a bit different from having to make the move from 26 to 29.
I agree. I do not see 27.5 as all that different from 26. Which makes it all that more frustrating. Change for the sake of change. Change for the sake of taking more of the consumers dollars. My $800 Lyrik fork is now useless on a new bike. My wheels tires, useless.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
I find with the 27.5 movement, the companies are driving demand more than consumers (although this is always the case to some degree, just more pronounced in this case).
Change for the sake of taking more of the consumers dollars.
Bike companys probably don't like the idea of someone going out and just buying a frame to go with all the 26" gear they already have lying around...
I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business. Do you think we like the staggering thought of blowing through piles of inventory and completely redesigning every bike we make to accommodate a new wheel size? Hell no. It's much easier to just tweak what we have and use the knowledge that we've already gained about 26ers and roll with that.

But if there's almost zero demand for a product, how do you guys propose we sell it and stay in business?

A lot of people are quick to chime in and claim there's some sort of grand conspiracy going on here to squeeze every last dollar out of your wallets, but here's the dirty little secret: there's no one smart enough in the bike industry to orchestrate something like that. Seriously. I've been in the business for 14 or 15 years now, worked with some brilliant people, and have tons of respect for my peers and colleagues. That being said, I haven't met any one person (much less a group of people) who could force feed you guys this stuff if there was just no demand for it.

If you don't believe me, stop past your local shop and ask them how easy it is to basically clear out tons of inventory to make room for a new standard. You'll hear the same thing.

At the end of the day, 27.5 has come about because there's massive consumer demand for it . . . and for good reason - properly designed 27.5 bikes are crazy fast and tons of fun to ride.

JP

·
EDR
10,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business.

JP
JP, speaking for myself I personally think you're misreading my posts. I realize it's a market-driven business, that's what's so frustrating. The market is being moved towards a new style of bike for no apparent reason. I do not blame Yeti or any other manufacturer for this. Its marketing, it's what the new people to the sport are told they want .. They think that 26rs are out of date. I totally understand why what is happening is happening. Hence, all the frustration.

I understand the market and why what is happening is happening. I've read all of your post's at one time or another I'm sure. If I was a fly on the
The wall at Yeti meetings over at headquarters I bet I'd hear a lot about how this is a tough transition for you folks as well. The change feels like it's being forced upon all of us whether we like it or not. This includes the manufactures and the buyers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The change feels like it's being forced upon all of us whether we like it or not. This includes the manufactures and the buyers.
I would tend to disagree. I don't believe there is some bicycle illuminati, the editors of Mountain Bike Action, the CEO of Specialized and the moderators of Pinkbike all in collusion, using Jedi mind tricks to force us to buy stuff. The only constant in mountain biking is change. Manufacturers are only going to make what consumers are going to buy, or they go out of business. I love my sb66, and bought it after demoing it, a 75 and a 95.

I think it is so cool that we can even have this dialog amongst ourselves and a Yeti executive!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business. Do you think we like the staggering thought of blowing through piles of inventory and completely redesigning every bike we make to accommodate a new wheel size? Hell no. It's much easier to just tweak what we have and use the knowledge that we've already gained about 26ers and roll with that.

But if there's almost zero demand for a product, how do you guys propose we sell it and stay in business?

A lot of people are quick to chime in and claim there's some sort of grand conspiracy going on here to squeeze every last dollar out of your wallets, but here's the dirty little secret: there's no one smart enough in the bike industry to orchestrate something like that. Seriously. I've been in the business for 14 or 15 years now, worked with some brilliant people, and have tons of respect for my peers and colleagues. That being said, I haven't met any one person (much less a group of people) who could force feed you guys this stuff if there was just no demand for it.

If you don't believe me, stop past your local shop and ask them how easy it is to basically clear out tons of inventory to make room for a new standard. You'll hear the same thing.

At the end of the day, 27.5 has come about because there's massive consumer demand for it . . . and for good reason - properly designed 27.5 bikes are crazy fast and tons of fun to ride.

JP
John, I literally am joining the tribe today, as my 575 is due to arrive by day's end.
I am on here and Pinkbike a bit (too much, esp. since the weather is not cooperating at all this winter.)
I still blows my mind that people have this notion there is some sort of conspiracy within the industry to make a change and force consumers to buy something they don't want.
To back up what you said, someone on PB did some research to prove someone wrong about this and instead found sales numbers that backed it up: 29ers up 100%, 26" down 20%. This is not the industry forcing anything, it is consumers speaking with their money. (I think it was Rocky Mt. sales numbers)

Personally, I have been riding a 650b converted Blur LT and Nickel for over 3 years. On occasion i have ridden both bikes with 26" wheels again and there is no question the 650b offers a better ride.
I am sure most of the people crying about this have never ridden one.
I am also curious if they were crying when tapered forks made straight steerer frames obsolete, just as disc brake made post mount only frames obsolete before them...

21 - 40 of 212 Posts