Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic in the general discussion but figured it wouldn't hurt to post hear as well. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting the same topic in two places:

I have been riding a road bike for the past couple years here in Florida and recently got the bug to try and do some mountain biking. It always appealed to me but I didn't think Florida had anything to ride so I just stuck to the road. I've learned otherwise and want to get into it. I have a Giant road bike and love my LBS so I was going to stick with them and get a Giant XTC1 or XTC2. After looking at the specs and really thinking about what I would be riding I decided on the 650 dollar Giant XTC2. However, a coworker of mine was a big mountain bike rider a few years ago and he told me he would sell me his Yeti Arc for 1000.00. This is out of my price range but from the research I did I think this is supposed to be a pretty bad ass bike. These are the specs:

Yeti Arc frame "Lrg"
Fox fork Float RCL 100mm = Rebound, Compression, Lockout
Bontrager Race Light Wheelset tubeless - They are now called X-Lite
Shimano XT crankset and front derailleur
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
Shimano XTR rapid fire shifters/brake set
Yeti carbon fiber bars
Bontrager race light stem
Thompson seat post
Avid single digit Ti rim brakes

Now the frame is a 2005 with only about 400 miles on it. He has a Yeti full suspension that he rides regularly and was racing. This hard tail was more of just a training bike. The forks though are a 2002 model fork that have been completly re-built and maintained well. I took a look at the bike last night and it is mint. I mean there weren't even any scratches on the back where you normally would get chain slap. The tires are dry rotted becuase like I said he hasn't been riding it really.

So, do I stay within my price range of about 700.00(650.00 plus tax) for the Giant XTC2 from my LBS with warranty or do I save up a bit longer and get the used Yeti for a 1000.00. Before anyone suggests trying to get him to come down on the price, I already tried. He is firm on the price becuase he does not "need" to sell it. He said the fram and forks alone are worth way over 1000.00.

Sorry this is so long winded! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
I say... If you can, goto as many bike stores as you can and ride as many bikes as you can and don't look at the price tag. Try full sus. You will be surprised at how comfy some of these bikes are as well as tough! I ended up getting a 06 Yeti 575 for bout 2 grand . 1 grand over what I was thinking of spending! But totally worth it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would go with the Yeti. Is has much higher end parts than a $650 Giant would have. The Yeti should be pretty light with the parts you listed. The Giant will be way heavier, and you'll probably find that you'll want to upgrade parts on it, which in the end will cost you more than getting the Yeti that's already set up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding so quick.

The bike is pretty damn light! Lighter than my OCR2 road bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.