Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to see if the yeti 575 is strong enough for heavier (185lbs) and more aggressive riders. I am also curious if you might recommend a heavier duty bike and would like to know opinions on the ASX vs FXR.

I ride NY appalachian trail in Peekskill, and may want to try out Diablo Freeride park. For those of you unfamiliar with these areas, the trails in Peekskill are mini mountains (800 foot elevation change) with singletrack laced with football and soccerball size rocks...lots of elevation changes and quick turns.

Having ridden hardtails for over 10 years, this will be my first full suspension rig. Handling, durability, and weight (In that order) are the traits that are most important.\

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
the 575 and FXR are trail bikes.

The as-x is a hardcore freeride bike with 7.5" of travel.

These are two entirely different catagories of bikes here.

Going into the trail bike catagory, the FXR is a very solid ride and extremely stiff. The 575 is one of the lightest trail bikes, so it probably isn't going to be the best choice for the occasional drop and jump. It will handle some abuse, butn ot as much as the FXR. The yeti is also a little more XC-oriented with it's angles.

The FXR has nearly identical geometry to the turner 5-spot. It is a great frame, i like mine a lot. It will simply make any bike you've ridden before seem "flexy", due to the huge oversized bearing, solid rear triangle, and stiffening-swing-link. There isn't much, if anything, that compares to a foes in terms of stiffness. But, it is not the lightest trail bike out there (unlike the 575 which is a contender for "lightest trail bike out there with around 6" of travel). I looked at the 575, but I knew that I needed to err on the side of strength and I have had so many problems over the years sideloading-and then blowing-shocks, that I simply wanted the bike that had the absolute smallest chance of that happening,
Both of the frames are excellent frames made by excellent companies.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
and if what you really want is a freeride bike, not a long-travel XC bike or a trail-bike, the AS-X would in fact be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
funny

Jm., I noticed the exact same thing when it came to the flex of the 575, but I only think its BECAUSE of the other bikes I was comparing them to.

The 575 is a quick handling, good descending, good climbing, light trailbike. If you are going to be doing drops continually, and not climbing or trail riding most of the time, go with the ASX, as I can't speak for the Foes, wish I could......

I have both, and for that type of riding, I'd prefer the ASX.

Check out a thread on the 575 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40502

As I said in that thread, I think the 575 would perform even better with a longer fork. The talas just couldn't keep up with the seemingly bottomless travel of the 575 rear.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
I am looking to see if the yeti 575 is strong enough for heavier (185lbs) and more aggressive riders. I am also curious if you might recommend a heavier duty bike and would like to know opinions on the ASX vs FXR.

I ride NY appalachian trail in Peekskill, and may want to try out Diablo Freeride park. For those of you unfamiliar with these areas, the trails in Peekskill are mini mountains (800 foot elevation change) with singletrack laced with football and soccerball size rocks...lots of elevation changes and quick turns.

Having ridden hardtails for over 10 years, this will be my first full suspension rig. Handling, durability, and weight (In that order) are the traits that are most important.\

Thanks in advance for your input.
If you have the funds the FXR with the Carnutt would most likely be the best choice of the models you listed as long as it gives you a good fit. It is a lot less expensive to buy it with the Carnutt than to plan on adding it at a later point - like when the Romic blows. The FXR offers a good blend of geometry, travel, durability and weight. Other contenders in this class are the 5 Spot, X5, Moment (my choice) and the Heckler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.