Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site. I have finally joined the tribe and purchased a 575. Loving it, but i have an issue with the rear brake. Every time i brake it the rear end starts to vibrate .
I have the carbon rear end with Avid Elixir R brakes 160mm rotors. The disks are not bent.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to the tribe!
I have a 09 575 with the carbon rear, as well as, a 09 ASR carbon and have never had this happen on either bike. However, I just read a review in an English MTB magazine and they had brake vibration on the rear of the 575 they were testing.
They said that they tried many different things to fix the concern, but the only thing that fixed it was to replace the rear carbon triangle with an alloy one.
There are a lot of 575's with carbon rear triangles out there that have no problems, mine included. I would tend to think that maybe there might be a problem with a very limited number of carbon rear triangles, and that the solution to the brake vibration has to do with fixing a carbon lay-up variance, or an problem with the attachment of the seat and chainstays to the dropouts.
The alloy rear triangle uses the same carbon seatstays as the full carbon rear triangle.
I would give Yeti a call and describe the concern to them. They probably already have a solution.
Keep on riding, Phil:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil,
thanks for the quick reply.
I hope this is not the issue as i am in Australia and have to deal through a local dealer.
Will try swapping wheels when i next take it in for a checkup after New Year.
Andrew

·
Registered
474 Posts
What kind of brakes do you have?
I ran Avid Juicy's 5 & 7's and finally got fed up with the noices and vibrations. Replaced them with Magura Louise...should have done it a long time ago. Quiet and smoot, powerful braking now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I was trying to decide on a new bike, my LBS lent me an '09 575 in the standard SRAM build with alloy swing arm and Avid brakes

Rear brakes vibrated so bad it upset the chassis to the point that it seemed to hop around. It was just noisy on flat easy stuff, but downhill the effect became much worse. What I experienced was not a swing arm (rear triangle) issue, but likely badly glazed pads that fit poorly to the caliper body.

You could try replacing pads (maybe something softer). Ultimately, you may find yourself in the same position as KrisRayner - replacing the Avids

NV-B

·
$!/#%&!!!
81 Posts
I have an '09 575 with the Race (XT) build. I have had no problems with the XT brakes.
However, on the 2nd or 3rd ride I had a strange vibration in the back end/ lack of braking power issue. After some tinkering I found that the caliper hanger bolts had loosened/moved slightly and the caliper didn't match up parallel with the rotor. It was causing uneven contact with the pads so that the edge of the pad was catching in the gaps in the rotor and causing the vibration. A quick adjustment/ re-tightening has solved that issue permanently (and periodic bolt torque checks).
I don't mean to insult your wrenching ability but maybe worth a check to make sure the caliper is aligned? If everything is good swap out the brake pads for some new ones before spending money on new brakes or getting down the Yeti.

·
Registered
100 Posts
joelsman said:
that's a brake mounting problem not the swingarm. make sure the mounting surface is aligned/ flat.
Yep or a Rotor or Pad issue.

I have an alloy rear 575 and have this issue when the rotors start getting worn out.
I ride with a couple of guys who also have 575s and have the same vibration issue from time to time. It is definitely a brake issue and not a triangle issue.

·
Total Goober
1,041 Posts
I had the same problem ('09 SRAM build), and the LBS told me to clean the rotor after every ride. No problems since then, if you can believe it. Good thing, because I was suffering from extreme buyer's remorse.

I spray with orange Mr. Clean and water (50/50), then just hose off. Works great on the whole bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpfull advice.

I will post the final result that sorts out my issue. Hopefully i dont have to replace the rear brake.
The local bike dealer lent me a 575 to try out and it was fantastic, thats what got me into the Yeti. In Australia they are not a cheap bike. I am suffering from buyers remorse at this stage as well. But hopefully will get it back to braking with out the vibration and all will be well. Hitting the local trails with confidence.

Andrew

·
Registered
271 Posts
Went through this

I had a customer with this.
1) Sent Shimano SLX brake back to Shimano for overhaul (brake was new) for suspected leak. Shimano sent a whole new brake. Didn't fix it.
2) Replaced Rotor- no
3) Warranty new rear triangle from Yeti. Didn't fix it
4) Remove triangle and repack grease in pivot bearings. This helped for a ride or 2.
5) Replaced SLX brake with an Avid Juicy 7. Problem solved.
Not sure why this was but I know this customer well and he has never had a vibration again? This was a giant PITA to get solved and took months. Maybe I can save you some time, try a different brake.

·
Registered
376 Posts
66hardtop said:
Thanks for all the helpfull advice.

I will post the final result that sorts out my issue. Hopefully i dont have to replace the rear brake.
The local bike dealer lent me a 575 to try out and it was fantastic, thats what got me into the Yeti. In Australia they are not a cheap bike. I am suffering from buyers remorse at this stage as well. But hopefully will get it back to braking with out the vibration and all will be well. Hitting the local trails with confidence.

Andrew
I have probs every now and then with mine, it's always an alignment thing, take an allen key with you and adjust out there, see if it helps.

Where are you? I'm in Melbourne...

Chris

·
Registered
376 Posts
One other thought, I usually ride rocky/hard packed or muddy tracks in Melbourne, but I've just spent a week at Merimbula , half on sandy tracks which caused lots of rear brake vibrations/noises. Having got back and done a couple of rides I think it may have been the sand ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
the same problem - other bike
i replaced almost everything ... rotor, pads, rim, hub, tyre, bleed the brake
only replacing the brake helped.
It's not so rear issue and had nothing to do with the frame manufacture. Just some combination of parts tend to resonance ...

the same brakes on other bike - no probs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Omw, where do I begin .....

I went through this whole nightmare about a year ago or so, a lot of the solutions offered here did not work for me.

What did it ultimately? I ditched the Avid G2 185mm rotor I had on the rear for and "old school" Shimano XT 6-bolt 160mm rotor. No problem since. Two things are significant here: a larger diameter rotor will set up a higher torque in the rear triangle for the same brake force applied. Now the 575's *ahem* "not-too-stiff" rear end does not digest this higher torque too well, especially if you're a heavier rider and if the rotor tends to propogate a natural resonance in the rear triangle and frame due to it's design (meant to dissipate heat and shed water). The old XT rotor has no such fancy shape, just a couple of small holes, and it works fine. I haven't tried a 180mm XT rotor yet, I think I'll lose my marbles if I have to experience that horrible feeling ever again. :madman:

My 5c

Chrz,

Treb

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine did it badly on 1 descent today, out of 3 hours riding, and never again:confused:

and that's with a 6-bolt 180mm XT.

My theory is sand gets in and scores the pad/disc and once you wear it in a bit it stops, until more sand gets in then it starts again. Didn't have this problem at all though with the original XT pads, it's only since the Kona 24 with lots of mud killed the pads and I went to sintered ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake Jack?

I always thought it was brake jack since I bought mine in Feb 2008 when the new shape came in. Braking hard over undulations and tech rock gardens or multiple step downs gives me the rear vibration that you speak about and lock ups. I just thought it was how single pivots felt, so I have lived with it. I had Juicy 5 now Elixir's and it still does it.

I too had the blues for ages, I came off a 1999 Spesh FSR Stumpy with only 4" that never ever vibrated, and I bombed Grizlys Glory in Sydney alot for a period. Made me wish for a little while that I bought the MotoLite or Mojo.

Anyways I have grown to love the Yeti.. I actually signed up because I saw really good suspension tips for front and back in one of the forum strings for the 575... can someone point me to the headings if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
mtky04 said:
I always thought it was brake jack since I bought mine in Feb 2008 when the new shape came in. Braking hard over undulations and tech rock gardens or multiple step downs gives me the rear vibration that you speak about and lock ups. I just thought it was how single pivots felt, so I have lived with it. I had Juicy 5 now Elixir's and it still does it.

I too had the blues for ages, I came off a 1999 Spesh FSR Stumpy with only 4" that never ever vibrated, and I bombed Grizlys Glory in Sydney alot for a period. Made me wish for a little while that I bought the MotoLite or Mojo.

Anyways I have grown to love the Yeti.. I actually signed up because I saw really good suspension tips for front and back in one of the forum strings for the 575... can someone point me to the headings if possible. Thanks.
Definately not brake jack, happens even on smooth bitumen.

I was getting it bad yesterday and swapped pads front-rear to see what difference it made- now the front end squeals and vibrates, rear is perfect !

The noisy pads were very deeply scored as if by small rocks getting caught which I put down to riding in coarse sandy conditions a few weeks ago, time for new pads!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I had severe wail with my elixirs on the rear of my 575. No bleed, adjustment, pad retracting or rotor/pad swap did anything. I then had a really close look at the pistons, and they were coming out slightly lopsided. I then spent about 30mins pushing the pads in and out and lubing the pistons each time. Its been silent since.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.