Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there are a lot of riders that are having success "Stansing" Kenda Karma & Maxxis Ignitor 29er tires. Having not gone tubeless before, I would like to try and NoTube some Bontrager ACX's (which I think tend to have good traction in a variety of conditions) to the Bontrager Superstock wheelset on my Fisher Xcaliber. Worth a shot? If yes, any suggestions to help make the process a success would be appreciated. If no, then maybe an explanation as to why i should'nt and an alternate suggestion. Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
tried the Ignitor and Bontrager tires

jaxson said:
I see that there are a lot of riders that are having success "Stansing" Kenda Karma & Maxxis Ignitor 29er tires. Having not gone tubeless before, I would like to try and NoTube some Bontrager ACX's (which I think tend to have good traction in a variety of conditions) to the Bontrager Superstock wheelset on my Fisher Xcaliber. Worth a shot? If yes, any suggestions to help make the process a success would be appreciated. If no, then maybe an explanation as to why i should'nt and an alternate suggestion. Thanks in advance!
I attempted to use the Bontrager tires with Stans, and tore the sidewalls on 2 rear tires in less than a month. So, I concluded that this isn't a good tire for tubeless.

I've been running the Ignitor for a month now, and so far they have held up.

So for me, the jury is still out. Wheels I'm using are the Race Disc lites, and for those wheels go with the 26" Stans kit.
 

·
Si vales, valeo.
Joined
·
277 Posts
I have had great results "Stans-ing" with both Bontrager and Maxxis tires. (Right now I am running 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller on Sun Rhyno Lite rims with the Stans kit with ZERO issues.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've got a pretty good idea of what "success" would be in NoTubing rims and tires. But who cares about my definition. I'm interested in yours' or someone elses'
 

·
Si vales, valeo.
Joined
·
277 Posts
kstine71 said:
I attempted to use the Bontrager tires with Stans, and tore the sidewalls on 2 rear tires in less than a month. So, I concluded that this isn't a good tire for tubeless.

I've been running the Ignitor for a month now, and so far they have held up.

So for me, the jury is still out. Wheels I'm using are the Race Disc lites, and for those wheels go with the 26" Stans kit.
I used Stan's in my old Bontrager Big Earls for over 3 months with no noticeable problems, (and the tires were already pretty old to begin with).
 

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
Joined
·
16,486 Posts
I'll toss this in there, only cause it's so recent. I just got a set of Rampages, and these things aired up with Stans, on a ZTR355, so well I'm flabbergasted. I'm used to a bit of futzing, nothing major, but these were just, install, inflate, roll, done. No leaks, no nuthin'. As for Maxxis, yup, good there, ditto for my Kharmas. All good. WTB's were good too. Have fun!
 

·
the train keeps rollin
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
Go 4 It

I've been running various tubeless setups for the last couple years, stans, eclipse, homegrown:thumbsup: Most of the troubles are the combination of rim and tire. Some rims work better with some tires, vise versa.. I've found Conti Protection Tires to air up with the least amount of difficulty, Kenda as well..

Bottom Line, you may get lucky and they will air right up:D Most likely you will :madman: then get the hang of going tubeless, find the right tire / rim combo and never do tubes again.

2 words of advise, AIR COMPRESSOR.
 

·
Is it play time yet?
Joined
·
331 Posts
I have been running Stans/Ignitors/Mustang rims on my Dos for several months with zero issues. I've been enjoying lower pressure (25 psi, 190lbs rider) and the increased traction that goes with it :thumbsup:

I am going to Stan's another wheel set for my GF 292.

PS- I recommend using a compressor for the initial air up as others have stated
 

·
Politically Incorrect
Joined
·
643 Posts
snowdrifter said:
2 words of advise, AIR COMPRESSOR.
Just make sure the bead is seated well!!

I was in a hurry to change out the tubes on my road bike a couple of weeks ago and used an air compressor. The bead wasn't seated well on one and when I pumped it up, it blew. Sounded like a shotgun...:madman: Scared the crap outta me.

I proceeded to go inside and change my pants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
motoenth said:
Just make sure the bead is seated well!!

The bead wasn't seated well on one and when I pumped it up, it blew. Sounded like a shotgun...:madman: Scared the crap outta me.

I proceeded to go inside and change my pants.
I second that one.. After changing drawers, realized I was deaf for 30 minutes. Open the garage doors first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
erik99 said:
I have been running Stans/Ignitors/Mustang rims on my Dos for several months with zero issues. I've been enjoying lower pressure (25 psi, 190lbs rider) and the increased traction that goes with it :thumbsup:

I am going to Stan's another wheel set for my GF 292.

PS- I recommend using a compressor for the initial air up as others have stated
So did you just use the Standard 26" kit as recommended for the Bontrager rim? Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
I'll toss this in there, only cause it's so recent. I just got a set of Rampages, and these things aired up with Stans, on a ZTR355, so well I'm flabbergasted. I'm used to a bit of futzing, nothing major, but these were just, install, inflate, roll, done. No leaks, no nuthin'. As for Maxxis, yup, good there, ditto for my Kharmas. All good. WTB's were good too. Have fun!
Hey, I dug through some older posts and read where you did the Schwalbe Little Alberts tubeless. I liked those tires on my 26" bike. I was thinking about trying them in the bigger version on my Xcaliber.
 

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
Joined
·
16,486 Posts
jaxson said:
Hey, I dug through some older posts and read where you did the Schwalbe Little Alberts tubeless. I liked those tires on my 26" bike. I was thinking about trying them in the bigger version on my Xcaliber.
Yeah, they stan'sd up fine, and worked quite well. No complaints here, I just wanted a bit more volume, they were great!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top