Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my early winter project, the Eldridge Grade's oversized tubes proved to be too harsh and stiff for my liking. Got rid of it and looked around for a BETTER project. 16" 1993 Raleigh Technium Chill. The name is somewhat perfect for the weather we are having. Will it gonna be trail worthy? We'll see. The frame is lighter than I am expecting it to be. Aluminum front triangle bonded to Cr-Mo rear. Interesting. Still looking for a better bike that will outperform my old Rocky Mountain. Its Raleigh's turn. :thumbsup:

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
be pretty hard to outperform your rocky...unless you get a newer bike with modern geometry which honestly are superior. it is pretty ssexy though and would be a fun fishcreek/local trail rider...

you got a thing for old VRC bikes eh...still have the Rocky?? i still have my first MTB - a '93 KHS that still gets ridden on nose hill and other local smooth stuff.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ferday said:
be pretty hard to outperform your rocky...unless you get a newer bike with modern geometry which honestly are superior. it is pretty ssexy though and would be a fun fishcreek/local trail rider...

you got a thing for old VRC bikes eh...still have the Rocky?? i still have my first MTB - a '93 KHS that still gets ridden on nose hill and other local smooth stuff.
got rid of everything except for my '97 RM Cardiac. best bike i owned so far. bikes always comes and goes until i find a keeper. where in town are you from, maybe we can rip my backyard one day. :)

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
fishcreek said:
got rid of everything except for my '97 RM Cardiac. best bike i owned so far. bikes always comes and goes until i find a keeper. where in town are you from, maybe we can rip my backyard one day. :)
i'm up north beside nose hill. my main riding bro (hizzity) lives right on fishcreek....we usually get a couple snow rides in every season in fish. as soon as this terrible weather clears there should be some good riding....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That Raleigh Chill should be a '91 just pre-Tomac. I had the 90 (broke) and the 93 (excellent replacement policy). The bikes rode great the 93 by then was suspension corrected and rode nicer than the predecessor. Good luck with yours hope it brings you tons of miles!

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chefmiguel said:
That Raleigh Chill should be a '91 just pre-Tomac. I had the 90 (broke) and the 93 (excellent replacement policy). The bikes rode great the 93 by then was suspension corrected and rode nicer than the predecessor. Good luck with yours hope it brings you tons of miles!
i just went with the serial R93 so i thought it was '93. and i believe '91s have semi horizontal DO's, mine has vertical. i really have no idea. anyways, the project is almost done and will post the result soon. thanks and thanks to ferday for the nice set of brakes. cool guy. :thumbsup:

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Done!

after almost two weeks, the bike is finally done. 4C weather, its time to ride. :thumbsup:

total project cost: CAD$200
weight: 24.6 lbs

bike - $60
post, saddle, grips - $55
bar end plugs - $3
blackspire chainring - $17
surly cog - $30
stem adapter - $20
brake cables - $12
wheels/tires/stem - old parts - free
spacer from junk cassettes - free
avid v-brakes/levers - free (thanks ferday) :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.