Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a fish out of water when talking about biking, but have been wanting to get into it for some time. I'm slowly learning the different types of riding there is, etc. I've been by the LBS and talked with a few of the sales reps there to get some different ideas. I'm in the market for a "good" bike that won't break the bank. I'm back and forth between north Florida and middle Georgia, so there really aren't any mountians. I'm pretty much looking for a street/trail/offroad type setup. I figure some jumping but nothing serious. After looking at a few different bikes, it's looking like an '05 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. I think after taxes, it's right at 599.

What are you're (the experienced folk) opinions on this setup? Would this be a decent setup for the money for an entry level rider?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
649 Posts
oldskool said:
Would this be a decent setup for the money for an entry level rider?
Thanks for any input.
Seems like you have made a good choice. Haven't had any experience with this bike myself but it seems more than capable.
The price on the Specialized website is $700, sounds like you are getting a good deal. If you haven't already got a helmet and gloves, try and get a good price on them at the same time. Buying all at once and paying cash might result in a decent saving.
If you do get this bike, you just have to go for this colour!! It looks sweet!!!! :)
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Nice bike

oldskool said:
Hello all. I'm a fish out of water when talking about biking, but have been wanting to get into it for some time. I'm slowly learning the different types of riding there is, etc. I've been by the LBS and talked with a few of the sales reps there to get some different ideas. I'm in the market for a "good" bike that won't break the bank. I'm back and forth between north Florida and middle Georgia, so there really aren't any mountians. I'm pretty much looking for a street/trail/offroad type setup. I figure some jumping but nothing serious. After looking at a few different bikes, it's looking like an '05 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. I think after taxes, it's right at 599.

What are you're (the experienced folk) opinions on this setup? Would this be a decent setup for the money for an entry level rider?

Thanks for any input.
I doubt you'll find a better component selection at $600 including taxes. If you've ridden it, and it feels good and fits, grab it.

Clyde

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get a helmet thrown in on the deal. It already includes exchanging the seat, as it just seems a little stiff for any street riding i might do. What other gear is a good investment up front? Or is a helmet and a pair of gloves pretty much it? Thanks again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
oldskool said:
What other gear is a good investment up front?
It depends, if you a water botte type person then a cage and bottle is up there.
Alternatively you can go for a hydration pack, this is my preference BTW. You dont have to send a heap on one either, Camelback, Deuter and Fox all make decent packs for not too much money.
But first priority is a quality helmet that fits well and is comfy on your noggin! Don't skimp here, be sure that it fits your head properly, even if it means a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest buying a bike that come with clipless pedals. You WILL want them and it would be about a 100+$ upgrade right off the bat.

Before you buy anything have a look at an IBEX.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are still looking... take a glance at Giant. The Giant Iguana is pretty comparable to the spec you have there. I think the iguana has the zocchi exr fork and hayes mechanicals which are slightly lower (but still probably more than enough for starting out) than what that spec has but ive ridden both and the giant definately has a better frame and may be suited better for your type of riding. Plus, you should be able to pick up an iguana for about 500.

Whatever you do, get the clipless pedals with the bike, youll love them (dont forget the shoes though) Go SPD pedals when starting out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up with the Hardrock Pro Disc. I got a helmet while I was there for 20% off, so I guess I didn't do too bad. I want to thank everyone for their input. Now just to find some places to ride.

·
Registered
649 Posts
oldskool said:
Well, I ended up with the Hardrock Pro Disc. I got a helmet while I was there for 20% off, so I guess I didn't do too bad. I want to thank everyone for their input. Now just to find some places to ride.
Nice one dude!! :)
Did you get the blue/black colour?
Which helmet did you get?
Pick up anything else while you were there?
Post a pic if you can.
And tell us the area you live so we can help you find some trails!
Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I got the blue/black one. I had to pay about $40 more for it because it was at another store, and apparently the first store was giving me a discount they weren't allowed to give. The '05's weren't on sale at all, and they were pretty firm, but they gave me $100 off because of the other guy's mistake. I got a Specialized Airforce helmet. Because of the increased price, I couldn't get the $60 one. The one I got is an adjustable one, but fits pretty good. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I'm in Macon/Warner Robins, GA. I did some searching and there are some pretty good trails around. Today I went to a business/housing development. Had some good offroad hills to play on. Georgia clay SUCKS...haha.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I've been looking at some. When I get permission from the warden to get something else..that's what I'll be looking into.

Also, what benefit is there to bar ends? I noticed on Specialized's website the Dirt Rodz, and was wondering if they're worth it.

·
There's no app for this.
5,368 Posts
you'll meet more ladies that way

seriously, bars ends are for hang on to when you're hauling serious butt uphill, climbing fast, mostly while racing. Leave them there for now, just enjoy the bike and refrain from falling. Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use my bar ends in two different ways. The first is climbing, the second is to get more hand positions to reduce fatigue and open up my chest to breath better after that seemingly never ending climb. I use the Profile Designs stubby bar ends from nashbar because i think the regular size one look stupid on my riser bar. I dont see any downfall to having them onless ofcourse your a weight weenie.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sorry, forgot to mention that you shouldnt be suckered into the expensive bar ends, get a 10 buck pair like the stubbys or check out others from nashbar or jenson. youre going to bang them up anyways and i dont see what the advantage is to spending 30 bucks on a name

·
Registered
95 Posts
oldskool said:
Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get a helmet thrown in on the deal. It already includes exchanging the seat, as it just seems a little stiff for any street riding i might do. What other gear is a good investment up front? Or is a helmet and a pair of gloves pretty much it? Thanks again.
oldskool,..

Congrats on your new Hardrock, she's a beauty.

There will be many that will suggest you purchase this or that,
but,
IMHO,
FIRST,...git yer @ss out and ride.

Enjoy your new bike, ride hard, there will be plenty of time to speak with other Mountain Bikers, look at other gear, evaluate other products and then choosing what will be most important to you and your riding style, and your future biking wants, needs and desires.

A quality helmet is a must, which I see that you have also purchased.

Sooooooooooo,........

(pardon my redundancy)

GIT YER @SS out and RIDE,...!!

Enjoy,.....*S*

Live long,...Ride Hard

Ol' Dirt Dawg

·
Registered
649 Posts
oldskool said:
Also, what benefit is there to bar ends? I noticed on Specialized's website the Dirt Rodz, and was wondering if they're worth it.
Dude, leave the bar-ends to the XC racers!! They aren't really worth the expense unless you plan on doing alot of climbing.
If you aren't happy with your grips then go a set of lock-ons, otherwise just do like the other guy said, go out and enjoy some riding!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll leave the bar ends and any other accessories on the shelf for the time being.

MrPlow, thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

Thanks again everyone, now just gotta get out and ride!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.