Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off the basics.

I'm 6' and 240lbs. I've bent an axle, bent 2 rims, sheared handlebars, broken stems, bent pedals & cranks, and a few other minor things. Of course this was on my only bike, a 16" Schwinn Frontier which I've had for 10+ years since middle school.

I've decided to purchase a new bike and would like to spend less than $500.
After visiting a few LBS' and reading the mtbr site a bit, I'm deciding between a few bikes & would appreciate some input.

One LBS seemed impressed with the new Gary Fisher Opie $329 & Mullet $550. I tested the Opie, along with the Wahoo $369 and Marlin $479. There seem to be quite a few positive reviews on the Wahoo & Marlin and I'm leaning towards the Wahoo so I can use some cash for a car rack, lock, new pedals, etc. I don't mind spending the extra for the Marlin though if it is much higher quality.

A different LBS recommended a Diamonback Response $329
The third LBS recommended their Specialized Hardrock Sport $329.

All the bikes felt great, especially considering my point of reference.

Which bike would you recommend considering possibiliites of beginner / interemediate trail riding & my weight?

Are there any other bikes I should take into consideration ?
Size for frame? 20" or 21" ? 6' tall & was recommended the 21 and 19" at the least.

I'd really appreciate the advice! thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Say...

Are you hard on your bikes? If so, JimC hit the nail right on the head. That bike will cost a bit more $$ for starters, but it will save you money in the long run.

If you aren't hard on your bikes, the Specialized Hardrock sport, or even one of the disc brake models would be okay for you.

Try each bike out, see how well they suit you and pick the best one.

I weigh 230# right now and ride an '04 Specialized Stumpjumper.

Have fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, after a few rides on the different bikes and revisiting the dealers, I ended up purchasing the Gary Fisher Tassajara. Yep, just a little above the other bikes in price range but I could feel the difference. I still can't believe bikes could be this smooth. it's just so nice riding.

I purchased the Tassajara disc brake model for $720 and I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
J Macker said:
well, after a few rides on the different bikes and revisiting the dealers, I ended up purchasing the Gary Fisher Tassajara. Yep, just a little above the other bikes in price range but I could feel the difference. I still can't believe bikes could be this smooth. it's just so nice riding.

I purchased the Tassajara disc brake model for $720 and I'm pretty happy.
Woohoo! Enjoy the ride!

:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

I was just wondering what size frame you went with, I was just at my LBS store last night and I was looking at a 19" Tas, I'm about your size maybe a little bigger, 6' 1" , 250 but I have a short inseam at 30", so I'm just wondering what size you ended up with..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the 19" frame. Seems to fit me well. The shop owner said that I could have really gone with either the 21" or 19". But alas, they had the 19" available & built. :D

as for my inseam, 30" seems to ride just a smidge high, and bares the lower calf if I place one foot on the opposite knee sitting upright. So, a recent pair of 32" pants seems to fit better.

With a 21" you may find the handlebars just a little bit farther away; remember that the Genesis design the Fisher bikes have the seat aligned farther back so it's more above the rear wheel, so you're already going to be hunched a little more than normal. I am very glad I went with the Tass instead of the lower end models.

They even threw in a pair of regular pedals along with the clipless combo pedal since I'm not comfortable with clipless yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.