Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
moe.
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been several weeks since I had the opportunity to ride ss because I sold my Rig so I have been patiently awaiting my Sir 9 to get built. Climbing on the Sir Nine was nice. It was remarkable how smooth the ride felt going up hill and over obstacles with the fork locked out. I can see why so many ride rigid with this frame. I rode during sunset and it was 104 degrees outside. I wondered if the 180mm crank arms, the heat or the fact that I haven't rode a ss for a few weeks was the reason for my getting winded easily and brought my attention away from the how the bike rides to taking rest stops.

On the way down my expectations were high. The frame felt a bit stiffer than my Dos but not as stiff as the Rig. I wasn't blown away by the feeling riding down like I usually am on my Dos but I think that may because I was paying a lot of attention to the new brakes and their adjustment/break in. The Sir handled single track parts of my route and the one and two foot drops I take on it nicely..I felt confident. I can't wait to get on a longer ride this weekend and probably change out the grips. Here is the build and thanks for reading. Question, does anyone in Southern Cal bother to use frame saver on thier steel frames?

Frame: Niner Sir 9 Large Kermit
Fork: Reba Race 100mm to be replaced by a OnOne Carbon
Stem: Thomson X4 100mm
Handlebars: Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Rise
Headset: King
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7
Seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: Specialized BG Alias
Clamp: DKG
Crankset/BB: Shimano XT 180mm
Pedals: Shimano 959s
Chainring: Blackspire 32t
Chain: KMC BMX
Cog: King Cog 20t on a King ss hub
Wheelset: Salsa Delgado Disc laced with DT and King ss Disc and King ISO Disc hubs
Skewer: Salsa & King Fun Bolts
Tires: Bonty 2.2 in front Kenda Klaw 2.1 rear

Attachments

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
mtntrance said:
I rode during sunset and it was 104 degrees outside. I wondered if the 180mm crank arms, the heat or the fact that I haven't rode a ss for a few weeks was the reason for my getting winded easily and brought my attention away from the how the bike rides to taking rest stops.
dude! 104 degrees! Most people would be a little more than winded! But if you think it's those darn 180mm cranks, I could prolly help you out with that one ;) Nice bike :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.