Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Large, powdercoat gray with 600 spring! Just got the frame and many of the parts this week. It may be a slow build until I can get the fork wheels and brakes. I have been debating the bigger bike thing for a while and was even considering a HL. I ultimately went with the RFX in part due to a great deal,and in part from my feelings that this may be the ideal bike for San Diego riding/ with trips to Utah.

Sorry the pic is bad. After many attempts with the bad lighting, I offer up the obligitory couch pic!

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Very nice, I'm supposed to get mine next week, been waiting awhile for the ano green. I almost bailed on the green and went with the PC grey, my Burner is black so I was kinda wanting more color so I decided to keep waiting, jonesing pretty bad to get it.

What fork are you going with?

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
Cool. You're going to love it.

Aquaholic uses his six pack all the time in Socal's Noble Canyon and TSCheez takes his pack whenever he goes to Utah. I suspect you'll probably end up having a great time as well when you're at those places on your RFX.

BTW, get it together ASAP or we'll start hounding you. I didn't post mine until it was complete, learned my lesson from BZ got it good for posting bling pics w/o the complete ride. :D

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I do Noble alot and usually with people who have much bigger bikes then my 5-Spot. Should be interesting to see how I can keep up now:thumbsup:

Came back a few weeks ago from Brainhead with same crew and the Spot did admirably well in those conditions. Again, I can't wait to see how the RFX eats up that downhill.

For the fork it sounds like the 66SL will be the way to go, unless the build takes so long that I'll have a Lyrik to think about. But lets hope it doesn't take that long! I have never owned a Zoke, so I am am looking forward to something new.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
rroeder said:
Very nice, I'm supposed to get mine next week, been waiting awhile for the ano green. I almost bailed on the green and went with the PC grey, my Burner is black so I was kinda wanting more color so I decided to keep waiting, jonesing pretty bad to get it.

What fork are you going with?
Very cool Rick.

I have been thinking about having my spot painted green. Post some pics when it arrives.

Again, it was great meeting you and riding Indian with CC contingent.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
scepticshock said:
For the fork it sounds like the 66SL will be the way to go, unless the build takes so long that I'll have a Lyrik to think about. But lets hope it doesn't take that long! I have never owned a Zoke, so I am am looking forward to something new.
Since you already have a spot, why go with the lighter fork option? A 66 light with ETA or even a 66rc2x will give you better performance with little weight penalty- you would only be losing the travel adustment (but could still have ETA). Seems to me this would provide less overlap and more contrast with your 5-spot.

PS, I have the RC2x and love it- incredible fork. It's a single-crown 888.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
S-Works said:
Very cool Rick.

I have been thinking about having my spot painted green. Post some pics when it arrives.

Again, it was great meeting you and riding Indian with CC contingent.
That was a great ride and a fun weekend.

I would like to get my cross bike painted and I'm considering green, candy green like AKChris used.

I will definitely post pics, maybe a quick frame shot but that sucker will get built quickly and I might just do a shuttle in the canyon to celebrate.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FM said:
Since you already have a spot, why go with the lighter fork option? A 66 light with ETA or even a 66rc2x will give you better performance with little weight penalty- you would only be losing the travel adustment (but could still have ETA). Seems to me this would provide less overlap and more contrast with your 5-spot.

PS, I have the RC2x and love it- incredible fork. It's a single-crown 888.
FM- You make a good point. What kind of riding are you using the RC2X for? Does it still handle pretty well for trail riding? There is a possibility I'd sell the Spot if I find myself riding the RFX most of the time.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
scepticshock said:
FM- You make a good point. What kind of riding are you using the RC2X for? Does it still handle pretty well for trail riding? There is a possibility I'd sell the Spot if I find myself riding the RFX most of the time.
Well, first to answer your questions- the geometry feels perfect to me, but I do have the '02 RFX which was 1 degree steeper up front and has a higher BB. But at 170mm travel with no ETA, the bike handles great on all but the steepest climbs. On the downhills, it's awesome! PS, for reference, the 170mm 66's are only 12mm taller than the 150mm Z1's.

I pretty much only use my RFX for free-ride, but we most always climb a good bit for our FR descents.I don't really miss the ETA honestly- it's the other parts (heavy DH tires, flat pedals, and 7lbs of pads) that hamper my enthusiasm on climbs. :madman: :rolleyes:

OK, with that out of the way: bigger bikes are really fun! Sooner or later the extra travel has us all trying bigger stuff and then you want the geometry/fit and parts to back the frame up. My RFX started out as a trail bike and gradually gained weight as I became more confident. Started at 33lbs and it's easily 38 now. The cockpit has shrunk an inch. No more SPD's. That seems to be the standard experience, most all my friends have gone the same route. So, if I was you, I'd just build the RFX for maximum skill & confidence building, not to mention fun!

Plan to keep the spot, no reason to sour the XC experience with a porky bike. If they are built similar then you might have a hard time choosing between them for those in-between rides. Go for contrast, then you can say, "what kind of ride do I want to do today- XC or FR?"

Hope that helps- just my humble rambling opinions....

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FM said:
Well, first to answer your questions- the geometry feels perfect to me, but I do have the '02 RFX which was 1 degree steeper up front and has a higher BB. But at 170mm travel with no ETA, the bike handles great on all but the steepest climbs. On the downhills, it's awesome! PS, for reference, the 170mm 66's are only 12mm taller than the 150mm Z1's.

I pretty much only use my RFX for free-ride, but we most always climb a good bit for our FR descents.I don't really miss the ETA honestly- it's the other parts (heavy DH tires, flat pedals, and 7lbs of pads) that hamper my enthusiasm on climbs. :madman: :rolleyes:

OK, with that out of the way: bigger bikes are really fun! Sooner or later the extra travel has us all trying bigger stuff and then you want the geometry/fit and parts to back the frame up. My RFX started out as a trail bike and gradually gained weight as I became more confident. Started at 33lbs and it's easily 38 now. The cockpit has shrunk an inch. No more SPD's. That seems to be the standard experience, most all my friends have gone the same route. So, if I was you, I'd just build the RFX for maximum skill & confidence building, not to mention fun!

Plan to keep the spot, no reason to sour the XC experience with a porky bike. If they are built similar then you might have a hard time choosing between them for those in-between rides. Go for contrast, then you can say, "what kind of ride do I want to do today- XC or FR?"

Hope that helps- just my humble rambling opinions....
Thanks for those opinions FM. If I may ask another question.... how would you characterize the performance differences between the 66 light eta and the one you have (if you know)? How well does the high speed compression work?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
scepticshock said:
Thanks for those opinions FM. If I may ask another question.... how would you characterize the performance differences between the 66 light eta and the one you have (if you know)? How well does the high speed compression work?
The RC2X thing is weird. How's that for a description? The adjustments are subtle but the performance of the fork is amazing. I think MBUK summed it up pretty good- the separate compression adjustments aren't really there to prevent bottoming or provide platform, they are there to maintain the bikes geometry regardless of speed and terrain. It's a single-crown DH fork. It doesn't bottom out yet it feels super plush on teh small stuff, like a shiver DC. I'm extremely happy with mine- instant confidence booster compared to my old Z150.

I haven't riddden the ETA light so I can't comment on that one, or really offer a comparison. I'd presume it's great too.

I do know that the RC2X is lots more active and smoother on the small stuff compared to the SL.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FM said:
The RC2X thing is weird. How's that for a description? The adjustments are subtle but the performance of the fork is amazing. I think MBUK summed it up pretty good- the separate compression adjustments aren't really there to prevent bottoming or provide platform, they are there to maintain the bikes geometry regardless of speed and terrain. It's a single-crown DH fork. It doesn't bottom out yet it feels super plush on teh small stuff, like a shiver DC. I'm extremely happy with mine- instant confidence booster compared to my old Z150.

I haven't riddden the ETA light so I can't comment on that one, or really offer a comparison. I'd presume it's great too.

I do know that the RC2X is lots more active and smoother on the small stuff compared to the SL.
Interesting. I a not really into a platform for a fork, but more concerned with the geometry, like you say. As long as those compression controls do something! How do you like the rebound?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.