Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Started a new job yesterday which means another commute to ponder:

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#tp=...1102&trf=0&lon=-73.863916&lat=40.774367&mag=5

The temp job this summer was the best; then the job while waiting to be re-hired had a lousy one, but at least I could walk it.

Now it's back to that first place permanently, but the new position is here in Queens and the commute is the worst of them all :( That is, there's GOT to be a way, but it's neither obvious nor direct......plus, it's truly a bad area. My co-worker was reading out of the paper yesterday about how some of the recent attack victims were bikers :eek:

Yeah so we'll see if it's 1) possible and 2) worthwhile. I need to try it at least once!

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
I hate city streets. Wouldn't ride on them if you payed me. For example, it's about 8 miles to my work, but I take a 15+ mile route that takes me away from the main roads. Then again, I don't live in the city. Then again again, I would rather ride in the city than drive. There's a way! Maybe.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it were the city itself, that would be sweet. Instead, it's the outer borough which includes high-speed traffic that's especially bike-unfriendly.

EDIT: Just looked over the bike map, and there's a bike-unfriendly wasteland b/w Points A and B. For those playing along, I'd have to take a couple of long, two-way streets with lights at every block (Broadway to 34th Ave. crossing Northern Blvd. in the process) which would then lead directly to Shea.

Rumor has it, with the re-construction of the stadium, our building will be razed and offices moved to the new World Trade Center buildings. That would make the commute fun again! But that's not for a couple of years, if at all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don’t envy you. You are riding in one of the busiest area in The NYC metro due to airport and commuter traffic to and from Manhattan. I would give up the bike commute and take the Number 7 train.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To take the 7, I'd have to take the N/W to Queensboro Plaza, and then another 11 stops or so! 10-15min by car or 1hr by subway, hmmm...!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Christine said:
To take the 7, I'd have to take the N/W to Queensboro Plaza, and then another 11 stops or so! 10-15min by car or 1hr by subway, hmmm...!
Train ride is not so bad when you consider you will find a seat on the 7 train and can read and relax. Then a short walk or bus ride to Northern Blvd. A stressful ride like this can affect your work day.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Jeeze, if the traffic & congestion weren't bad enough, dealing with scary neighborhoods has got to be a drag. A friend of mine moved to LA and sent me his commute map with the gang neighborhoods highlighted. It added a bit of distance to avoid those spots.

I'm pretty happy with a home office and 2-mile commute across the strawberry fields and river floodplain to do my FedEx drops. Props to you for your tenacity.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeck, city streets all the way with the thrown in fun of bad neighborhoods? I commend you for considering it. The worst I ever have to deal with is the homeless regulars haranguing me as I ride by.

Try the ride once and see how it goes, maybe it isn't that bad.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.