Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...

I'm 6 foot, 215Lb's (looking to shead a tad), usually run a 19-20" Frame bike. I currently have a 2000 Specialized Expedition Sport (yes, it's a Hybrid...). I used to live near a park with all paved trails... it was good... a year and a half ago I moved to a new house... with a ton of dirt bike trails starting two doors down (w00t!). The Hybrid aint cutting it (oh, did I mention that it's a non-suspension model... ouch!). And I've basically shaken the bike to death.

So I'm looking for a replacement... Trail Runner, Hard Tail.

I'd like something low cost, but something I know I can keep 5 years and not worry to much about.

I've been checking the forums, and I've found a few deals.

Performance Bikes has a 2006 Iron Horse Maverick Sport... it's very basic (and I'll have to order it and send it to the store... but it seems like a steal at $179.)

My LBS has a 2007 Diamondback Reponse (Base), For $349. Local Sport Chalet has it for $319... I took it for a spin... nice bike, it would fit the bill nicely.

Reading the Forums I've seen a lot of people talk about the IBEX 350 (which looks like they don't make anymore =-(), So I looked the 450, well it's around $400 once it gets here. It looks like a nice bike, with upgraded componets.

I've also seen the magical Target.com Forge 5xx, people seem to like it, the componets look very good for a bike in this range.

So... should I go cheap, and get the Iron Horse Special... go internet and get the higher end parts, or pay more and get a LBS supported bike with slightly upgraded parts over the Iron Horse?

BTW I'm able to perform most bike adjustements and repairs... been screwing around with Bikes and Cars since I was 12.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've been working on my bike for only half a year and I know how to do a lot of stuff, you've been doing it since 12, screw LBS support. They won't help you on the large things anyways, mabye minor adjustments here and there.

Don't buy anything with deraillers under altus and tourney, just horrible. Acera is pushing it but its great for light riding.

The main question is, how high is your budget, how much does $100 mean to you? To some its not a lot, to others its a big step.

The Forge is a better buy than the DB Response but cheaper/sameprice.
Ibex can't go wrong but looking at your choices its the most expensive.

You can try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Mesa-GS...7QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
looks pretty ok for specs, better than that Diamondback.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Recently, I got two bikes. originally, I want to buy Iron horse or IBEX but ended up with GT and unused 04 specialized hardrock pro.
Did you check local performance store? I got 05 GT avalanche 3.0 disk for $189. you never know what kind of deal you can get from LBS. Also check craglist or local ebay. someone will try to sell almost new or new bike at cheap price. also offer a cash:thumbsup: before I got my hardrock pro for $300, someone try to sell new iron horse outlaw for $250 at craiglist. I offered him $180 and he wanted to sell it for $225 then I saw hardrock pro on local ebay, owner listed for $400 but I offered him $300 and he accepted my offer. the bike was new condition. I don't know when IBEX pre launch sale ends but you might have a little time before IBEX will start to ship alpine 450. I thought about returning GT and get IBEX but the GT deal was so sweet:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kimguroo said:
Recently, I got two bikes. originally, I want to buy Iron horse or IBEX but ended up with GT and unused 04 specialized hardrock pro.
Did you check local performance store? I got 05 GT avalanche 3.0 disk for $189. you never know what kind of deal you can get from LBS. Also check craglist or local ebay. someone will try to sell almost new or new bike at cheap price. also offer a cash:thumbsup: before I got my hardrock pro for $300, someone try to sell new iron horse outlaw for $250 at craiglist. I offered him $180 and he wanted to sell it for $225 then I saw hardrock pro on local ebay, owner listed for $400 but I offered him $300 and he accepted my offer. the bike was new condition. I don't know when IBEX pre launch sale ends but you might have a little time before IBEX will start to ship alpine 450. I thought about returning GT and get IBEX but the GT deal was so sweet:D
Yeah, been hitting the LBS's looking for "leftovers"... sadly, they seem to only have new stock (I guess I should of looked BEFORE Christmas (doh!). Local Performance shop has nothing under $500 (and they're nothing special). Performance around here sucks (then again sounds like they suck all over). 18YO kids that just want to talk on the phone with their friends. I won't even go into the attitude the local REI pukes have. Sadly the really good LBS in town closed after their landlord DOUBLED their rent... last I heard they're not planning on coming back (They didn't even have a clearance, just shut the doors up).

Believe it or not, the best service I've gotten so far is at Sport Chalet... only shop that had me take test rides and such.

The Forge looks like a deal, but the company is new... I also have a standing boycott of Target stores. (ChampCar Fan).

I'm really leaning towards the IBEX... seems everyone swears by them (and few swear at them). Once I add tax and such to the others... the IBEX is only about $50 more.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Forge the way. Theyre customer service is awesome (talk to mike) and theyll even pay for your first tuneup. the bike is a steal. I know ibex has good CS but i dont think you get much better than forge. I also believe the forge has the best components of the group, better than the ibex, correct me if im wrong jack?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
First thing about Forge, I thought they only offered their bikes in one size, Medium. pinkertonfloyd said he was 6'0". I'm that size and medium is definately too small for me, and it will cost some $$ in a new stem and possibly other parts to get it to fit right.

pinkertonfloyd said he was looking at ordering off the performance bike website. Well take a look at the Schwinn Mesa GS. It's $350. A friend of mine bought this bike earlier this year and it's been a pretty solid bike. I know Schwinn has lost its good name since Pacific took it over, but really this bike has name brand components all the way around. It has a full SRAM drivetrain, and the SX-5 derailleurs and shifters provide solid shifting. The fork is a really low end Rock Shox, but at least its not some really cheap RST. Only bad thing on this bike is lack of discs, it has V-brakes. This has made a great starter bike for my friend, and with all the name brand stuff on it, it looks much more expensive than a $350 bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23238&subcategory_ID=3050

Here is the bike on Schwinn's site:
http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=615

·
Banned
462 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Get the (click>) 07' Alpine 450 and ride it and have fun.
The price is right at the Pre-Launch Special of $369 .
The special isn't going to last much longer :madman:

I personally own 2 IBEX bikes and I've never regretted my choices :thumbsup:

Jake
IMHO the Forge Sawback 5xx has a better fork and better disc brakes and only $299.
I think it looks better too. :rolleyes:

edit: It was said Forge come in only medium. I guess there are other bikes to consider then oh well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well... I found out that I'm supposed to get a $200 Amazon Gift Cert. For taking Red Hat Training next week. If that the case, the forge is looking like a great deal... although if anyone sees something better... I see some of the bikes from Randall Scott... but the "amazon" price is $100 more!

I usually ride a 19-20" Frame, which I believe the Blue Model is... I have long arms, so I usually don't have the handles too high. That's the drawback of a mail order bike. But I guess I can always take it back if it doesn't fit.

·
Banned
462 Posts
MrKalentine said:
The forge comes in 17" silver and 19" blue. Only problem with it is its 33lb weight, compared to the 28 lb Ibex 450
I wouldn't believe the weights Ibex posts, I would have really have to see it to believe it. Honestly, what is "target weight" and with out pedals?

Sounds a little like the way Marzocchi lists the weight of their forks. Without steerer... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Pedals are probably a pound at most.. plus I would believe the target weight is very accurate considering they are often based on calculated weights ( go to the weight weenies forum ).

Secondly, all their previous 450's have been 28 pounds.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2005/ALP-450-Specs.html
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2006/ALP-450-Specs.html
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2004/ALP-450-Specs.html
Not to mention that most bikes are weighed without pedals anyways.

I emailed Ibex, and was told the 450 and 550 was a typo on the website, and the weights got switched.

You should expect the 450 to be 28.5 w/o pedals and 550 to be 28 w/o pedals.
This 28->28.5 increase is calculated most likely due to the addition of disc brakes for 07.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
taikuodo said:
Pedals are probably a pound at most.. plus I would believe the target weight is very accurate considering they are often based on calculated weights ( go to the weight weenies forum ).

Secondly, all their previous 450's have been 28 pounds.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2005/ALP-450-Specs.html
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2006/ALP-450-Specs.html
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2004/ALP-450-Specs.html
Not to mention that most bikes are weighed without pedals anyways.

I emailed Ibex, and was told the 450 and 550 was a typo on the website, and the weights got switched.

You should expect the 450 to be 28.5 w/o pedals and 550 to be 28 w/o pedals.
This 28->28.5 increase is calculated most likely due to the addition of disc brakes for 07.
Research well done Bro :thumbsup:

My 05' ALP 350 weighed in at 28.2 w/o pedals. I never put on the OE pedals so I cant give a total weight. :rolleyes:

Jake :ihih:

EDIT: Weight Weenie Listings :cornut::D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.