Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint set in 4.5" travel mode? Would this be overkill for an aggressive trail bike Hollowpoint set up? Would it rake out the front end too much?

I saw a photo of a Hollowpoint Expert or a Team sporting one and it looked pretty damned nice - but good looks don't always equate into good ride characteristics.

Anyone out there in Iron Horse land riding a Z1 on their Hollowpoint?

DW, Dante, Ska Todd please feel free to throw in your two cents worth.

Thanks!

Mark (in what now seems to be a neverending quest for a fork to replace the Psylo SL on his Hollowpoint)

· Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
Sl

If it's the SL, as you posted, it will be fine even on the climbs. I run a Z1 SL on my weyless XP frame and a 120mm marathon SL on my hollowpoint. Both have ECC lockout, which just closes the rebound damper, so you put it on setting 5 jump down on the front end and the fork stays compressed in a much lower stance. I climb with these better than any fork I've tried. They do take a little more playing around with on the air settings, due to the low pressure dual positive chambers. After they get broken in they are super smooth and very reliable. If your not one of the "coil is sooo much more reliable" idiots, you should be very pleased. I thoroughly abuse both forks on a regular basis and have no complaints. The Z1 is almost 2 years old now and I only change the oil on a regular basis and go.

· Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
fox vanilla

After I told my riding buddy about this thread he took his 130mm Vanilla off his G-spot and put it on his 2002 hollowpoint and rode through some rough stuff last night. He loved it and said it will stay on it full time. I don't think the "climbability" would be as good as the ECC controlled marz, but he states that he now has a lightweight freeride bike that he can throw around on the trail.
Good luck on the offer for the Marz! :)

· Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As others have mentioned a Talas would be ideal for the Hollowpoint - but I just can't afford one on my budget.

Here's hoping things work out well with the Z1 SL and the ECC function of the fork. :cool:

· hands up who wants to die
1,406 Posts
MMcG:
Do you know much about the '03 Z1s? They have very limited tire clearance. I have one and the tire clearance is a total pain. Nothing larger than a 2.4 Weirwolf fits.. and that is small for a 2.4. I figure anyone running a 5" freeride fork would want to be able to run larger tires.

This tire fit issue was fixed for the '04 models.

-r

· New project, TBA shortly
1,023 Posts
zoo00oom said:
After I told my riding buddy about this thread he took his 130mm Vanilla off his G-spot and put it on his 2002 hollowpoint and rode through some rough stuff last night. He loved it and said it will stay on it full time. I don't think the "climbability" would be as good as the ECC controlled marz, but he states that he now has a lightweight freeride bike that he can throw around on the trail.
Good luck on the offer for the Marz! :)
this bike is not a freeride bike...

please please please learn from those who have done this in the past, put freeride components on their XC bike (including me). you just end up with a heavy, mangled XC bike. the only real way to do this is to have two bikes, one lightweight XC bike and one beefy FR bike. check out our Yakuza bikes, the hardtails are quite well priced and can withstand just about anything that you can throw at them. 36h rims, 5 (or 6") forks, etc.

Your hollowpoint will thank you. :p

· Registered
15 Posts
dante said:
this bike is not a freeride bike...

please please please learn from those who have done this in the past, put freeride components on their XC bike (including me). you just end up with a heavy, mangled XC bike. the only real way to do this is to have two bikes, one lightweight XC bike and one beefy FR bike. check out our Yakuza bikes, the hardtails are quite well priced and can withstand just about anything that you can throw at them. 36h rims, 5 (or 6") forks, etc.

Your hollowpoint will thank you. :p
AMEN Dante- that is so true!

· Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The max tire I'll run is a 2.35 and I won't be using this as a freeride bike - just as a strong aggressive trail bike - which I think this frame is extremely well suited for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.