Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, all this talk of H bars and the new Titec version got the better of me the other day, so instead of watching the stupidbowl, I got out in the shop and made these.
I put some levers on to try to figure out a setup, and it seems to me that putting the levers on the rear part of the extension will be the ticket. The thing is, I haven't seen this setup in any of the pics posted here. What's the reason? Are the extensions too short on the real H Bar?
This is just idle wondering because the frame for these isn't quite done yet:rolleyes: .
edit: the date on my camera is a bit off, huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice looking replica

I just wouldn't try to sell them publicly. From what I have read Jeff Jones is protective about his bar design (as well he should be). I put the brake levers as far back on the front extension as I could. I felt it was very comfortable there. Mainly I did it there because the bar came pre-wrapped from JJ. I will try to experiment different positions now that I have the old grips and tape off but I think the original brake lever postion will be the best (for me). The lever reaches far enough back so you can use most of the rear grip for climbing. I am on the rear of the bars more than the front anyways. But again that is just me. I would play around with it and see what works for you.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
SamHall said:
Hey guys, all this talk of H bars and the new Titec version got the better of me the other day, so instead of watching the stupidbowl, I got out in the shop and made these.
how wide did you build yours? same as the Jones?

i'd be game for a pair of H bars if they were 28"/710mm tip to tip instead of 26"/660mm AND if the obscene deer antlers were hacked off to a nub.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I built these with the intent on making them h-bar width, but I think I'll leave them long (about 28.5" wide right now) to see if I like the lever in the back. PLus, sitting here at the computer, it seems like hooking my thumb in the crook will be the most comfortable and the lever clamp would interfere with that.

And no, I'm not planning on selling any, the design just intrigued me because it seems so intuitive- I just wanted to give them a try on the cheap and I REALLY don't like the way the new Titec bars look.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Padre said:

i'd be game for a pair of H bars if they were 28"/710mm tip to tip instead of 26"/660mm AND if the obscene deer antlers were hacked off to a nub.
Padre...hey BIG fella...what's up???

Sam....nice job!!!

the grip extensions on the jones bar are too short to place both brake lever and grip on. you are correct on that.

with you bar, if you were to place the levers on you grip extension, i am guessing that would require you to use an even longer stem?

the jones bar feels great to me. the first time i bought one, i got a couple of rides in, didn't like them and sold them.

the second time around has been much better. it just takes some time to get you body adjusted to them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
the Titec version is a riser bar, and it is not straight across. I put these on a customesr bike, and rode them around. They felt good in the normal hand position, but I climb on the flats, like a road bike, and this was uncomfortable on the Titec. Also with the riser position, one would have to take out spacers from the steer tube, or invert the stem.

Close but no cigar. Stick with the Jones, or build your own out tin the shop.

Nice bars by the way.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
careful

Nice bars, but come on, innovate, and find a why to mount common shifters to them (I have two of the real-deal, one is fantastic on a singlespeed, and the other is just so-so on a geared bike)!

Do be careful though; I'm not a patent/IP lawyer, but I was under the impression that you can't make infringing products even for ones own use. I don't know that Jones has a patent granted for his bars yet, but he does have a vested interest in vigorously defending against any infringements to protect himself.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Padre said:

Wow Padre, Would you seriously strap on some antlers if they where wide enough?
Take a look at this picture. This shot shows a 28" Easton DH bar on top of an H-bar. I lined the center of the grips of both bars together to demonstrate that your actual grip or hand position is the same width for both bars.

Because of the upper-body position generated by the palms facing each other position of the H-bar it actually feels wider than the 28" riser.
As for the "antler" part I have to somewhat agree. I really prefer the stubby bars on my SS to the full length ones on the Fixy.

So give it some thought Padre, a stubby H-Bar can offer the same to more upper body width than what you are asking for and a stubby version isn't quite as objectionable to your esthetics. They might even look good on that DeSalvo of yours.;)

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
anotherbrian said:
Nice bars, but come on, innovate, and find a why to mount common shifters to them (I have two of the real-deal, one is fantastic on a singlespeed, and the other is just so-so on a geared bike)!
Same here, I have a set on my SS and my Geared. I think I've solved my problem with triggers on the H-Bar. Shimano 970 trigger with the mounting perches swapped. Simple operation.

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
When I held an Hbar they certainly didn't feel wider...they felt skinnier.

By your pictures...the DH bars look about...1" wider on each side...is it just me?
Regarding hand position...I "feel" stronger in the "normal" hand position.

A certain friend of mine liked the Hbars in general but hated them for steep SS climbing which is all we have here...

So, assuming I could find some 28" wide tip-to-tip Hbars and was still able to climb...I might be in business...

Endomaniac said:
Wow Padre, Would you seriously strap on some antlers if they where wide enough?
Take a look at this picture. This shot shows a 28" Easton DH bar on top of an H-bar. I lined the center of the grips of both bars together to demonstrate that your actual grip or hand position is the same width for both bars.

Because of the upper-body position generated by the palms facing each other position of the H-bar it actually feels wider than the 28" riser.
As for the "antler" part I have to somewhat agree. I really prefer the stubby bars on my SS to the full length ones on the Fixy.

So give it some thought Padre, a stubby H-Bar can offer the same to more upper body width than what you are asking for and a stubby version isn't quite as objectionable to your esthetics. They might even look good on that DeSalvo of yours.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anotherbrian said:

Do be careful though; I'm not a patent/IP lawyer, but I was under the impression that you can't make infringing products even for ones own use. I don't know that Jones has a patent granted for his bars yet, but he does have a vested interest in vigorously defending against any infringements to protect himself.
Really? Even if you never plan on selling them? I hadn't really thought about it that way- if anything, I thought these would be an endorsement of the Jones bars as I was planning on posting my thoughts about the design after I had used them for awhile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:D
Hubert said:
Nicely done!

Are you also able to make a filled brazed steel Jones bike replica? ;)

How much does the bar weigh?
Funny you said that as I was thinking of doing a McClung/Jones type strut fork, but I can't get into to look of a severly sloping top tube for the frame.

Weight...who knows? I don't usually weigh stuff- it's 4130 cromo, but it's .049" thick, so it ain't super light. I figured the handlebar isn't the best place to experiment with thin tubes:eek: !

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Old_Bashturd said:
Same here, I have a set on my SS and my Geared. I think I've solved my problem with triggers on the H-Bar. Shimano 970 trigger with the mounting perches swapped. Simple operation.
I did the same with SRAM X.0 shifters, but the bar-wrap was getting in the way (the shifter had enough room to cycle, but wasn't ergo for me) ... maybe I'll try it again, especially since I have an unwrapped bar to start with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Endomaniac said:
...I lined the center of the grips of both bars together to demonstrate that your actual grip or hand position is the same width for both bars...
Exactly:thumbsup: Grip the 28" downhill bar at its widest points and have someone measure the distance between your wrists. Now grip the 26" H-bar at its widest points and measure the distance the distance between your wrists. You'll find that the distance between wrists is the same for both bars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.