Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Minute is starting to disintegrate on me !!. The rebound knob has gone after an unplanned contact with rocks.....it is still rideable (no oil is leaking) but it appers that I should start looking for a replacement.

I have narrowed my search to Marzocchi due to the fact that I can get spare parts quite easilly, and more specifically to the AM1, the AM SL and the Z1 FR2.

So my questions are

Comparing the Z1 to the AMs

Are all the adjustments on the AMs useful or should I sacrifice them and get the Z1 which is simpler and sturdier. The Z1 has just the basic adjustments but it has "888" style cartridges [whatever that means] and 20mm axle. (my hub is compatible) It is also cheaper.

Comparing the AMs

What is the real difference between the AM1 and the AM SL. I undertand that the SL is air (lighter) and it does not have ETA. Is ETA worth it ? I like the idea of dropping down the fork but is the 30mm of usable suspension useful on a technical climb. Do you guys find ETA a 'cannot-do-without' feature ? What about the new 'TST' feature. Is that really usefull in the real world or just a marketing hype ? On the other hand the SL model has '+ve' and '-ve' air adjustment. What does that do in plain English ? Is that better than ETA ?

I am quite heavy (I could be an honorary president in SMOKEY's club), my technique is .... well I am still learning and my rides involve both fireroads and singletrack (up and down) and not major drops etc (.....yet).

Out if the three what would you guys recommend ?

PS1 I am planning to repair the Minute and either sell it or most propably keep it as a spare.

PS2 When are the '2006' models usually announced ? I would hate to buy the AM1 in the crap colour and after a month Marz to announce the 2006 AM1 in black :mad:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If you're talking about the '05 Z1's I believe that they're all 150mm or greater which would be silly tall to run on the Spot full time. If coin isn't an issue I'd say AM1 hands down, if it is pick up a '04 Z1 FR's for ~$300 which is still one helluva nice fork. Particularly for more aggressive and heavier riders.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, the Fork on the photo is an AM2. But the description says: Marzocchi AM1, finally in black, too, available since March 2005

I know this shop very well. I bought my 2004 Z1 FR from them.
I could ask them about the black AM1, if you want.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
might be a tough one with the FR2

KDK said:
The Z1 FR2 is 130mm
Isn't the FR2 OEM only? Lots of places have the 3 and 1, but I've never seen the 2. Not saying no one has it, just saying I haven't seen it.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I also heard and saw pictures of black AM1s from Canada. Check Pink Bike for leads.

I have the 04 Z1FR and the fork is perfect straight out of the box (although I am 170lbs). I don't feel like I am missing adjustments on it and I don't even use the ETA. I am a tinker at home, not on trail type of guy, so having numerous adjustments and whatnot would be useless for me. The sub $300 price tag of 04 Z1 vs ~$700 of AM1 would be comparable Burner vs Flux issue, IMO. Not to mention franken fork price tags :p

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Keep in mind that the Z1 FR2 has one side SSV, one side HSCV, so it isn't quite as high performance as 04 Z1 FR, which has both sides HSCV.

_MK

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that my questions can be summarised better :

For the 5 spot and for a heavy, fineseless rider whose rides are mainly singletrack and fireroads and who likes to pedal uphill what is better

a) the simplicity and "burlyness" of the Z1 series or the adjustability of the AM Series
b) if the AM, which AM ? The 1 which is coil / ETA or the SL which is Air/Non ETA/Dopio ?

Thanks guys !!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Whatever you lean towards, make sure you can get the correct spring setup for it. If it is a mainly coil fork with air assist, at your weight you may still need stiffer springs and I don't know availability on this stuff. Sounds like Smokey has been waiting a while for big-boy springs for his 04 Z1. The 05 forks may come with stiffer springs stock (I know my 05 FR1 has stiffer springs than my 04 Z1).

Air forks will be more adjustable for a greater bredth of weights, but Zoke air forks can be funky to tune. Wait a bit and get a Pike Air with u-turn perhaps. I like the Pike Air about as much as my Z1 coil, and it could easily be dialed in for a heavier rider, but lacks a lock-down/trave-adjust feature.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tscheezy !!

I am still confused about how useful are all these acronyms ETA, TST, Doppios, -ve & +ve adjustments. Is ETA a 'must-have' feature or would you sacrifice it in order to get the lighter & more adjustable (Doppio thingy} SL ?

I know some people swear by ETA but I cannot comprehend how a 30mm travel fork can help in a climb.

At the moment I Iean towards the AM1, but the SL is just a click behind.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
KDK said:
I think that my questions can be summarised better :

For the 5 spot and for a heavy, fineseless rider whose rides are mainly singletrack and fireroads and who likes to pedal uphill what is better

a) the simplicity and "burlyness" of the Z1 series or the adjustability of the AM Series
b) if the AM, which AM ? The 1 which is coil / ETA or the SL which is Air/Non ETA/Dopio ?

Thanks guys !!
AM1 is my vote if you like to pedal and are not looking to huck off a roof top. It uses an air spring to set preload, so no issue there. The AM1 is 5.09lbs for the 130-150mm version which is respectable. The damping is very sweet. If you don't like ETA then the TST offers the CL setting (extremely easy to change on the fly) which gives about 30mm of travel and is then almost locked out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another AM1

I am loving the AM1 on my Spot (110-130 version). I really like the simplicity of the adjustments, even though they might seem overwhelming. It took me two rides to get the air pressure preload where I like it, and it works beautifully. I spun down the travel to 110mm once to simulate the a-c of a Fox, and while I felt that liveliness that everyone raves about, I've found that I prefer the slightly slacker head angle with the zoke at 130mm. That said, I certainly don't think I would want more.

Do I use the ETA? Yes! Slamming the fork down really makes it nice for climbing steeper smooth trails. I've also used it on occasion when I need quick steering around rocks on some slower bits. Let me also say that I tried my Spot out with a shorter stem yesterday. Obviously, the front end was quit a bit lighter climbing. If you prefer a short cockpit, I would say that the ETA would be more important than if you ran a more XC-type setup.

The TST in combination with the RP3 has turned me into a fiddler. After coming off a steep section with both ends running super plush, I'll take the two seconds to reach down and flip the RP3 to the middle or (+) and the AM1 to the "all mountain" setting if I've got an extended length of motoring to do on smoother singletrack - it really changes the character of the ride and makes the setup that much more versatile.

That said, the weight is one of the downsides to this fork - I could have saved 1.5+ lbs if I had gotten a TALAS or DUC32. For me, I'll take the weight penalty though.

The other downside of course is the price. If you don't care much about color, I'll bet that with the intro of the black AM1's, you might just be able to find a deal on one in the "other" color (the poop color is actually starting to grow on me).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.