Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a nice Voodoo Loa Ti Cyclocross that I've been trying to sell for the past week because I hardly ever ride it any more. To no avail though, because this bike really is quite sweet, maybe my asking price was a little high. Anyway, as I was out walking my dog on the local trails yesterday, this guy whips by me on his Willits 29er, which resurected old thoughts I used to have about running this CX bike as a 29er, instead of selling it. As built, it can accomodate a 44c tire up front, and at least that in the back. 44c isn't good enough though for the trails around here. I've tried stuffing a 2.1 up front, but it rubs on the stock Voodoo fork. I have never tried putting a 2.1 in back, but I'm pretty sure it would fit. I figure with 2.1 tires, this bike could pass for a nice geared 29er.

So my questions are generally about what fork options I have, if I want to swap the stock cross fork for something with more clearance. To complicate things, I need a fork with a 1" steerer. Are there any off the shelf 700c forks w/1" steerers that can accomodate a 2.1 tire? Maybe a Surly Cross Check fork? I think they are 1 1/8, so probably not. Is custom likely to be my only option?

Also, the a-c measurement of my CX fork is around 415mm. Reading through the archives on the board, it seems that a standard non-suspension corrected a-c length is 435mm. These extra 20mm might just do the trick to slacken the angles enough to make the bike less squirelly in the technical stuff. I came across wilycycles at around $200 for a custom fork. Any others that might be a little cheaper? I guess any custom frame builder could whip up what I need, I'm just wondering if anyone's had good experience with any in particular.

Anything I might be missing here, thinking that simply by swapping forks I can convert my CX to a viable 29er MTB?

TIA,
Brian

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Dimension 410mm 26" Disc-only fork. Might have someone weld on canti mounts. It fits all 29" tires currently available, but perhaps don't ride it in thick clay.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the price, but

Cloxxki said:
Dimension 410mm 26" Disc-only fork. Might have someone weld on canti mounts. It fits all 29" tires currently available, but perhaps don't ride it in thick clay.
It's got a 1 1/8 steerer, I need 1". Also, I'm using V-Brakes, not discs. I suppose I could rebuild the front wheel with a disc hub though and run a disc front/ V rear combo...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sorry, I read badly. I've come accross a fork that follows yor description. Best chance might be adapting a 26" canti fork. Many come 400-425mm and will clear a 29" wheel. Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can get hold of one....

A pace RC31 rigid carbon fork sounds ideal to me and should meet all your needs I think?!
They are available with a one inch steerer and will fit the largest 29" tyre with ease!
Just not sure what the availability isssues are in the States?!

Laters

Mat

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As they say over there...Brill!

matinns said:
A pace RC31 rigid carbon fork sounds ideal to me and should meet all your needs I think?!
They are available with a one inch steerer and will fit the largest 29" tyre with ease!
Just not sure what the availability isssues are in the States?!

Laters

Mat
I used to work with a bunch of Brits, and they were always walking around saying "Brill!" (short for brilliant, for everyone else's benefit)....

That Pace does look to fit the bill nicely, especially with the option to add V-Brake mounts. Now just need to track one down.

Thanks Mat.

·
This place needs an enema
16,937 Posts
Not too likely

Even with a new-sus corrected fork, on a true cx frame with a big fat tire in the fork it's unlikely that you'll get away from toe overlap. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd also hate to see you spend a pile o' dough and have it not work out.

MC

·
Registered
393 Posts
rear tire

assuming you could get the front to work out, are you SURE it will fit the tire in the rear??? I guess I'd be surprised if it did. Are you going to run it with drop bars. Most cx TT's are quite short, not to mention toe overlap as Mike said. Seems like a lot of effort for the result to me.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rear tire

n8ofire said:
assuming you could get the front to work out, are you SURE it will fit the tire in the rear??? I guess I'd be surprised if it did. Are you going to run it with drop bars. Most cx TT's are quite short, not to mention toe overlap as Mike said. Seems like a lot of effort for the result to me.
Since originally posting, I did try a 2.1 Nano, or maybe Mutano, I can't remember which, and it rubbed, so no luck. After some searching in the archives here, I came across the Conti Vapor, which is supposed to be narrower. Ordered a set of two, which are scheduled to arrive from Speedgoat Wednesday. If they don't fit, then I'm back to square one, deciding whether to continue trying to sell it as is, or if it's worth keeping around as a drop-bar fire-road cruiser w/44c tires. I think I'd rather have the money to put towards a different bike.

Will check the toe overlap issue you guys raise tonight, but I've ridden this bike a lot and don't ever recall noticing it. It's got a 55cm TT, or 21.6", which you're right, is shorter than the TT on my MTB. Maybe I am trying to do too much here with a bike not meant for what I'm asking it to do. Thanks for the post.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Keep the cross bike and buy a 29" bike

You could get The Rig as soon as they are released for under a grand and it would be schweet! Or you could get a Karate Monkey frame now and troll for parts over the winter and build it up nice and pretty cheap. Or a used 29" bike. But you don't really wanna sell your cross bike and you don't want to morph it into a freakazoid bike either. Just say no to cross bike abuse! Think "New Bike" (or "Used Bike") instead. It'll be better than way, I promise :)

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who makes The Rig?

Fastskiguy said:
Just say no to cross bike abuse!
Classic!

Thanks to the advise y'all have given, I think if the Conti Vapors I've ordered don't fit on the bike as it's currently built, I'm not going to mess with it any further. Back to the Classifieds it goes to raise cash for something I'm more likely to ride.

Interested to hear more about "The Rig"...

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Try this one

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/full_specs.asp?series=genesis&bike=Rig&year=2005

and maybe this one

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=41979

and if you live in the UK

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=42548

But you should really keep the cross bike. It's really nice! And a guy never know's when he's gonna get a bad case of "cross bike fever" and just HAVE to have a fancy Ti cross bike. Think of it as preventative medicine. Sig: 1 cross bike as needed #1 no refills <-attempt at pharmacy humor

·
Registered
235 Posts
Voodoo CX

Brian, there are two generations of Voodoo CX frames. The early ones with a slopping top tube (Joe Murray designed) had more tire clearence and a longer effective top tube. I'm not sure when the change to a more traditional geometry took place - maybe 98/99 or so. Anyhow, the Kinesis alu-fork speced on the first generation (polished in color) could just clear a true 29" tire. Toe overlap did happen however. I had both generations of Voodoo CX and tried to beef it up with 28" (45mm) and 29" tires. - I finally sold it and got the real thing(s).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.