Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Yeti ARC carbon bar installed and got all the levers and shifter (1 x 9 setup) clamped on. I don't have a torque wrench, so I'm going with feel, which I understand some of you guys recommend rather than relying on a torque setting. Exactly what is this "right" feel? Is it just snug where it takes very little to no effort to loosen the bolt? Or turn wrench when you can't turn it no more?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The safest torque would be the minimum required to keep anything from rotating under normal use. Under abnormal use, like when you take a spill, the parts should be loose enough to rotate. This torque will depend on the design of what it is you are trying to install.

For the stem this probably means applying more torque than minimal effort. Even for the shifters this probably won't be enough, though we are all different in how delicate our touch is. You will have to operate stuff as you gradually increase the torque on the bolts until you find a happy balance.

·
Registered
849 Posts
a comfortable in between, it should be tight enough so as it wont move but not that tight you obviously damage the bar.

A good gauge is holding the allen key with the tips of two fingers and tighten until its quite firm against your fingers. Ive done this a fair few times with no problems

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
What I do for that kind of bolt is tigthen almost as hard as I can but using the SMALL end of the Allen key with two fingers. That way, I can never get too high a torque and it always ends up about right. Torque wrenches are not really advisable below about 3Nm I find.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.