Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice regarding brakes for my '09 (L) MotoLite. I purchased this as a complete bike from Jenson at the end of '09 and really like the bike. What I've never warmed to are the brakes - it came with Avid Juicy 3s (160F/160R).

Shortly after buying the bike, I picked up an Avid brake bleeding kit and properly bled both brakes a few times. The front brake works well, but the rear simply fails to satisfy. It has very little power and has never been even remotely capable of locking.

I'm 6'5", 220 lbs, and have only ridden the bike in the dry. At this point, I'm fine installing an entirely new brakeset.

I have my eyes on a set of Hope M4 brakes 180F/160R. What are your thoughts on this setup and will the difference be night & day to what I have now?

Andreas

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the magura marta sl 160mm front and rear on my motolite. They will give you all the power you need. The 180mm if your trails have really long down hills or it will be a bunch of weight to haul around. I have had my maguras for 4 years and no problems. Just add fluid as the pads wear. Its easy to do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I run Hope Tech V2 on my FTM. I cannot say enough good things about these brakes. They are powerful, fade free, easy to modulate and nearly maintenance free. I know a bunch more (more experienced) riders who also swear by them. You cannot go wrong with Hope.

And they look freakin' cool.

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
I was happy for the first 20 months with my Magura's. A while back they lost pressure, took them to the LBS. He could not get them to bleed. Magura send some parts. Still no go, Magura said send them to them. They worked on them, basically rebuilt them free of charge. First ride was good except as soon as you pulled the levers it was instant contact. 2nd Ride I started hearing alot of squealing. Started to take it yesterday. Even rolling on the ground and barely touching the brakes created a god awful squeal..... Took my RIG instead.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Shimano SLX or XT. Pros: good price, dependable, cheap pads, easy to bleed, mineral oil. Cons: none so far. Some people reported poor cold temperature performance on the first run of XT M-775. Not my experience.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm running Hope Tech X2 on a RacerX. I'm a bit lighter than you also, but man these are AWESOME brakes. Great range of adjustment on the levers, PERFECT modulation. INCREDIBLE stopping power. I would think that the burlier Tech V2 will be better for your application, and I don't think they weigh any more. The V2's are going on my next bike, more of an all-mountain build.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 on the Marta SL's

I use the magura marta sl 160mm front and rear on my motolite. They will give you all the power you need. The 180mm if your trails have really long down hills or it will be a bunch of weight to haul around. I have had my maguras for 4 years and no problems. Just add fluid as the pads wear. Its easy to do.
Have them on my ML for 4+ yrs and never a problem. Running 180 F and 160 R all the stopping power and modulation you'll ever need. AVID is junk....thats why it is spec'd on just about every bike because its cheap S&*t.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Avid IS junk - tolorance are so loose (I've had Elizer CRs). Go w/ basic XTs - you simply can't go wrong. Nothing to look at, but great quiet performance and precisionl made.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Had every type of avid and other then mechanicals had problems with them all. Seen to many marta sl's come through the shop with issues. Bought my wife a set of hope tech x2's (09 pink model) and have had zero issues for 1K+ miles.

Bought myself a set of 2010 tech x2's last september and havn't had any issues. Bled them last week and had some nasty looking fluid come out. Still no issues and they look better than anything out there!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
4 years now on my 2007 Magura Louise. No issues at all. Excellent brake. Before then I was riding Magura Julies 2002. Those had a failure in the master cylinder which Magura replaced under warranty (their warranty is 5yrs) back in 2007. A buddy of mine is still riding those Julies... that's a brake going into 10yrs and still working.

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
Get the new XTR Trail brakes, or simply wait for XT or SLX versions of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. After giving this way too much deliberation, I ordered a set of Hope M4 brakes, 180mm / 160mm, with Hope rotors and braided lines.

And since the small bits on my gray ano Moto Lite are green, I couldn't resist this version:

Now I'm on pins & needles waiting for them to arrive. :)

Andreas

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a bit tricky to shorten braided hose but this page helped me:
steveukmtb.wordpress.com/hope-braided-hydraulic-brake-hose-assembly

Because I have less than ten posts I cannot ad links so just copy and paste

/H

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Very nice choice and I can say they are great brakes. Had mine for over 2 years with zero probs and have been nothing but fantastic, both to look at and in the fast stuff. You'll need to drool a bit first before putting them on the bike - I did!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts