Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
jfd said:
I've never ride the 575 with the DHX Air but I saw the DHX Air has 2.25" of stroke versus 2.0" of stroke for the RP3. So the travel of 5.75" is with the RP3 or the DHX?
When I read this I thought surely you were mistaken. A quick check of the Yeti website confirmed your statement, but I just didn't think that sounded right.

Checked my 06 575 with the RP3 and it is a 7.875 e2e with a 2.25 stroke, so something has changed recently. Maybe Fox isn't making the RP3 in 7.875x2.25 anymore, I don't really know to be honest.

The stroke length being .25" longer, should mean more travel. The e2e measurment just measures how long the shock is, but the stroke length is how much the shock will compress. A shock that has a longer stroke (on the same bike) should have more travel.

Interesting development here....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jdub said:
When I read this I thought surely you were mistaken. A quick check of the Yeti website confirmed your statement, but I just didn't think that sounded right.

Checked my 06 575 with the RP3 and it is a 7.875 e2e with a 2.25 stroke, so something has changed recently. Maybe Fox isn't making the RP3 in 7.875x2.25 anymore, I don't really know to be honest.

The stroke length being .25" longer, should mean more travel. The e2e measurment just measures how long the shock is, but the stroke length is how much the shock will compress. A shock that has a longer stroke (on the same bike) should have more travel.

Interesting development here....
I didn't check the stroke of my '06 RP3, I'll check to confirm... Thanks for your answer!

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
mtbike_AK said:
Anyone riding a 575 with the Fox DHX Air? If so what is the difference between the RP3/RP23?

Seems more like a Freeride type shock than a XC shock? Correct?
I think that the DHX has a few more settings including a bottom out resistance setting and requires more air pressure than the RP3. So clydes may not want that shock for that reason.

The RP23 replaces the RP3. It's a really nice shock. If I had the choice I would go with the RP23 unless you are taking a lot of big hits and need a shock that you can set to resist bottom out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.