Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the passing of MTBR's Passion's dear friend - Dalerider1, aka Chris Cannon. I'm embarrassed to say that I missed announcing this on the exact day for the first time and it's ironic that it was his 10th anniversary.

You may see pics of his life and read his poems and stories on my webpage - just click the bike toss guy at the top right of this page. Many thanks to Francis and Gregg for keeping the link all these years.

Dalerider still lives on in the hearts and minds of many of us originals on this forum. We met him, rode with him, e-mailed with him, laughed and cried with him and knew him for what he was - a truly great person with a heart as big has his body. It's too easy to throw out such accolades when someone passes away but those of us privileged enough to have known him will know that all I said was totally true.

I'll re-read some of his old e-mails today. Many of us still have them.

Other MTBR oldies will be here today and will have a great trip back in time. Lots of them will be in the pics on my Dalerider page. Enjoy.

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
Mikey:

Thanks as always for the reminder. Yeah, hard to fathom it's been 10 years. I'll always remember Big Daddy getting ready for Y2K and then only making it 2 weeks into the new millenium so it's easy to remember what year he passed. Very sad day indeed...a decade ago. Time is flying. There were some great times around this site back then. Losing Chris was a tragedy.

I'll always remember DR1. A true legend. RIP Chris Cannon.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Thanks for that reminder, Mike. I never had the privilege of riding with Chris, but I still quote him now & then.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Thanks Mike. It's incredible all the trips, rides and memories that have passed in the last 10 years. Newer members of the forum can equate Anthony Sloan's recent tragic passing with Dalerider's, except back then the forum was much smaller. Both were valued members and are sorely missed.

Hot Black, you may be a good guy in person but you often come across as a world-class d!ckhead in this forum.

·
Olde Phartette
114 Posts
De' ja' voo'

Okay Mike go ahead and correct my spelling *blush*. I do mean that in a good way too!

I had the strongest feelings or connections with MTBR yesterday, it was weird in a good way. I was thinking of some of the peeps I met here that are long gone, myself being one although I do occassionally read the forum and sometimes even post. I have gotten a few PM's asking who the hell I am and why do I post, go figure....

I remember Chris as being one of the biggest posters on MTBR back in the day. He had all the answers and wasn't afraid to share. I however was afraid of him cuz I had lame questions.... here is one of my experiences with DR1 as he was known back then a copy/paste of an emailing regarding the Old Phart Top Caps;

(you'll have to read in reverse order as I'm too lazy or under time constraints to fix)

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! And, I say again, Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Feel free to return them
Missy...I havn't cashed a check yet and I know some of these other OLD PHARTS
would buy them. If that doesn't work...can I build you a bike? I'm a rep for
Edge Cycles (Sarah and Troy's company). Be happy to do it!

DR1 (juss lemme know if you wanna return them)

>Hi All,
>
>I just got my Top Caps and I gotta tell ya I am so
>embarrassed!!!! I'll explaine and you can all have a
>laugh (or cry) at my expense! I am like sooo lame!
>
>I'm fairly new to all this biking "stuff" and barely
>know which end of the bike is up let alone where
>"parts" go. Sorry I know I can't even use the "it's a
>girl thing" cuz most of the girls at mtbr know how to
>build bikes, it's just me!
>
>Well when DR1 and the rest of you were talking about
>these Top Caps and then it finally happened and we all
>ordered them (I ordered one in each color) the price
>was so cheap why not! This package came over New
>Year's we were gone so my Hubby said he would go to
>the PO and pick it up and I told him to open it and
>take which ever one he wanted......the package was my
>Starbuck's Coffee, hummm. Next day when I got home
>from work there was this largeish envelope from
>Chris...I'm thinking "how did he cram those caps in
>that little envelope". Boy was I surprised to see the
>"Top Caps" cuz I thought we were getting HATS!
>
>After much explaining to and from my Hubby and sons,
>lots of laughter.....yadda,yadda,yadda! Yep I now
>know what a Top Cap is and where it goes and that
>these don't fit on my road bike!
>
>But they are really great looking and I love 'em and
>now I'm seriously thinking maybe I should get a "real"
>mountain bike to put one of 'em on! They weren't so
>cheap after all!
>
>Well I'm learning......who says ya can't teach an
>old.........yeah you know the rest!
>
>Missy(red faced)
>
>--- DaleRider1 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> All top caps have been mailed out. Some of you have
>> let me know you've received them. If by next week
>> you DO NOT have your cap(s), let me know, otherwise
>> I'll assume they all arrived safely. Thanks.
>>
>> DR1

And no I'm not blonde! Anyway it was a good laugh and a bit of an icebreaker for Chris and me. We had lots of fun chatting after that.

Mike I will never forget the night we talked on the phone when we all first heard of Chris's passing. I know he touched your life deeply and you were a great friend for him I loved hearing of the stories you told about Chris. Peace be with you Mike you are truely one of the good guys!

~Kate aka; Missy; bikerchic

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Mike T. said:
I did too Jim even though it was in my mind last week. I felt really bad this morning.

I wonder how Sue & J-Bird are doing? Sue dropped by here in the early years.
When Chris passed away I was 2 years away from having kids, so the impact to his family wasn't foremost on my mind at the time, I remember the shock mostly. But as I read your post just now, the very first thing that came to mind is wow, J-bird must be close to 17 or 18? by now, wonder how they are?.. amazing how priorities change over time.

I still quote Chris and his great lines, especially with Newbies, "Ah Mountain Biking, where a 2" rock will stop a 26" wheel if you stare at it hard enough"

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I remember the "topcap" story from back in the day Missy/Katie/Bikerchic dude! That was too funny at the time. And you were expecting ballcaps :D I hope you realized we were laughing (hopefully!) with you and not at you. Yeah right :)

I didn't order a stem cap as I have lots but as I was more oldfartier than all you other old farts he sent me one anyway - for free. The note is still pinned behind my monitor. I'll lift it down. It says -

"12/3/99. Mikey! Ya OLD PHART! Add to your collection. DR Uno."

·
Registered
29 Posts
So Courtney has DR to blame? :D

I still think about the big guy now and again...he was one of the good ones. A true character and a guy who truly cared about his fellow man. RIP, Mr. Cannon.

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
I was riding one day probably 12 years ago when I came across two guys who didn't fit in with the super fit lycra wearing crowd I had grown accustomed to. I have to say that was the only time I have seen someone wearing a full face in Iowa. They both had the biggest sh!t eating grins on their faces, loving life. I chatted with them for 10 - 15 minutes. I have met many people out on the trail but I have always wanted to see these two guys again, it wasn't until I logged onto mtbr that, at least in one case, it's an impossibility. I hope there is single track wherever we go after all of this.

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
Mike T. said:
Yeah Celly and if it wasn't for DR you might not be married to Courtney.
So true. For those who don't know, way back when in the earliest stages of Big Dave's planning the Waterdown weekend, Spike (Courtney) and I were in touch via email and ICQ and all that jazz. I told her about BD's weekend and suggested she come along. She wasn't a big fan of going the drive from Milwaukee to Waterdown solo, so I told he I'd see if Chris would drive up with her. He lived about 4 hours away and Milwaukee wasn't completely out of the way. I asked Chris and he made sure to get clearance from his lovely wife Sue and they hooked up in Illinois somewhere and did the journey to WD. Courtney still talks about what an enjoyable traveling companion Chris was.

Of course, Spike and celly have been an item since that weekend. Maybe she would have come up to WD without Chris, but maybe she wouldn't have. All I remember was how stoked I was to know they were almost at Chateau Fadden that day.

Here is the first time I set eyes on both of them (as did many of us). A memorable moment in so many ways.

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
Mike T. said:
Cell, I was going to dig that pic out of my archives and post it today but you beat me to it. What a day/weekend that was in many many ways.
Mike, I still have my Nov '98 copy of "Mountain Bike" always accessible. Many times through the years when people ask about how Spike and I met (since she's from Wisconsin and all), I just hand them the magazine and let them read about it themselves. Saddens me that it's been so long. After all those killer gatherings in the Spring/Summer of '98, I just assumed they'd keep going and going and we'd see each other all the time.

Sniff :cryin:

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
slight sidetrack...

I've never forgiven you bastidges for not alerting me to the WD weekend; of course nobody knew me then but hey, got to blame someone. It took me a while and an MB article to figure out the continent-wide gathering, and interwebby thing. Anyhow, I wish I had had the opportunity to meet Chris, perhaps one day I will.

jc

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.