Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snip both days...

Hope everyone got out. Once you got warmed up it wasn't bad at all... In fact it was very good. Nice, guilt free slides on the snow around corners. You don't get to do that often.

John

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have wool socks, but still got very cold toes. actual pain while driving home until they came to. What do you guys wear on your feet for winter riding? my friend wears cotton socks and has zero problems. thought it was my sweaty feet and cold air, but they are dry.

was out for 2+ hours at Case, very enjoyable.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polypro and riding socks

CheapTrek said:
i have wool socks, but still got very cold toes. actual pain while driving home until they came to. What do you guys wear on your feet for winter riding? my friend wears cotton socks and has zero problems. thought it was my sweaty feet and cold air, but they are dry.

was out for 2+ hours at Case, very enjoyable.
Yesterday I had a bit of an issue with cold feet, I was wearing a pair of polypro socks. Today I wore regular riding socks with the polypros over them, which seemed to keep my feet a bit warmer. The wind was wicked yesterday, but I think today was colder.

Slider wears two pairs of wool socks. My wife was wearing one pair of wool socks with neoprene socks over them. Both Slider and my wife complained of cold feet at some points during the ride. I think sometimes the coldness comes from shoes that are too tight after cramming all the socks in there - cutting down your circulation.

When its really cold (like 11 degrees isn't really cold :rolleyes: ) I have some Performance booties I'll wear, but they are only good if you don't have to walk. When you walk in them they get all messed up, the hole for your cleat ends up on the side of your foot or something. The booties will absolutely keep my feet warm though.

John

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice pics. More snow up there!

I got out on sunday to a new trail in Hadlyme, CT - it was chilly, but once you got moving things were just fine!

Downsides were that the cold rendered the rechargeable batteries in my gps useless, so mapping a new place quickly became a moot exercise, and the water in my camelbak tube kept slushing up :)

For my feet I wear a nice pair of warm ski socks and my fiveten impact shoes - any colder and I might throw in a wicking liner. Keeps me plenty warm, moreso my shoes though, they are thick and beefyish.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blowback...

Nathan Cloud said:
...and the water in my camelbak tube kept slushing up :)
Below 20 degrees or so you have to remember to blow the water back out of the tube after every sip. Just like remembering to tap your shoes on the chainstay when there's snow on the ground.

John

·
Registered
300 Posts
Jisch said:
Below 20 degrees or so you have to remember to blow the water back out of the tube after every sip. Just like remembering to tap your shoes on the chainstay when there's snow on the ground.

John
Smart, I never even thought of doing that!

Being not the brightest bulb, I went with the "take a sip often" approach :)

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which leads to...

Nathan Cloud said:
... I went with the "take a sip often" approach :)
The "sip often" approach has a bad side effect - "taking a pee often"... not good in cold weather :eekster:

Looks like its time to mount up the studs and do some marsh riding this weekend... Gonna try a night ride at Upper Bolton Pond on Saturday... Its a swamp all summer, but its a pretty cool area to bike in when frozen.

John

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Jisch said:
I love rocks.... where is that at?

John
West Rock, as usual. North and South ends of the ridge have tons of it, if you know where to look.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good advice

Jisch said:

John
I was ridding at Arcadia in RI and stopped at the dam at Breakheart Pond. When I clipped back in I tapped on the pedal to clear the ice and remembered your post and tried to remember the second hint, could not remember what it was. After about another 10 minutes I tried to take another sip of water, oh yeah blow the water out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is killing me I have no bike at the moment! I had to resort to winter running I did a nice 9 mile loop in pachaug forest today and it was nice there was still patches of snow to run through (it wasnt much but enough to make me happy)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.