Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new bike. I ride aggressively with my new trail bike. The wheel setup I had was Stan's No Tubes, Mavic 317, CK Hubs, and for tires: Front, Mutanoraptor 2.4; Rear, Exiwolf 2.1.

Recently, I was going downhill, hit a rut at high speed, and jumped off my bike. Luckily no injury. I got on my bike, started riding again, and crashed because all the air left my tire. I pumped up the tire again, and the tire resealed and I was good to go.

Yesterday, I was riding again, I bunnyhopped over a small sewer drainage at a pretty high speed, landed with the front tire at a slight angle, and all the air burped out of my front tire and I started sliding. This time my arm was scraped up pretty badly and I had to walk the rest of the way because I didn't have my pump.

I am pretty upset that the tire did that. I surmise the Stan's system is responsible in some way. But, interestingly, I had the same setup on my old bike, an Enduro, and never experienced this severe air loss. When I had a a 2.5 inch Weirwolf in the front, I never experienced anything like this on my Chumba (my new bike).

I was running pretty low air pressure if that helps. I'm a bit nervous running Stan's now, after that terrible debacle that left my arm looking like I was attacked by a mountain lion.

Can anyone explain what happened with relative certainty and recommend any fixes? Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
Higher pressure and perhaps some other tire combo. The burping was one of the reasons I hung my Stans strips on the wall and they have stayed there...
Exactly, I'm thinking of going back to yestubes. I mean I could even sue for my injuries.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That WTB warning is interesting. Mine burped with a Weirwolf, but this was a while ago and there was no compatability warning then :rolleyes: .

I tend to swap tires so much that I could never deal with the volume of spooge necessary, and I hardly ever flat...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WTB has started shipping a warning with their standard tires. Something like "For use with inner tubes only". There was also a report on the 29er board of a WTB tire with several small holes molded into the sidewall.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
carnetorta said:
I recently got a new bike. I ride aggressively with my new trail bike. The wheel setup I had was Stan's No Tubes, Mavic 317, CK Hubs, and for tires: Front, Mutanoraptor 2.4; Rear, Exiwolf 2.1.

Recently, I was going downhill, hit a rut at high speed, and jumped off my bike. Luckily no injury. I got on my bike, started riding again, and crashed because all the air left my tire. I pumped up the tire again, and the tire resealed and I was good to go.

Yesterday, I was riding again, I bunnyhopped over a small sewer drainage at a pretty high speed, landed with the front tire at a slight angle, and all the air burped out of my front tire and I started sliding. This time my arm was scraped up pretty badly and I had to walk the rest of the way because I didn't have my pump.

I am pretty upset that the tire did that. I surmise the Stan's system is responsible in some way. But, interestingly, I had the same setup on my old bike, an Enduro, and never experienced this severe air loss. When I had a a 2.5 inch Weirwolf in the front, I never experienced anything like this on my Chumba (my new bike).

I was running pretty low air pressure if that helps. I'm a bit nervous running Stan's now, after that terrible debacle that left my arm looking like I was attacked by a mountain lion.

Can anyone explain what happened with relative certainty and recommend any fixes? Thanks!
First of all, like was mentioned already, WTB tires are not recommended. The WTB race team uses Stan's but that doesn't mean the tires are a good bet.

The most likely cause of the burping you experience has to do with using wide tires on narrow rims, like you 317s. I have some of the same rims myself and I experienced one burp (no major air loss) in the last 3 years. I ride rather aggressively on that bike but I also use 2.0 tires.

As for the statement "I mean I could even sue for my injuries.," I sure hope you were kidding. That is precisely what is wrong with this country, not taking responsibility for your actions even when warned ahead of time. Right up there with the personal injury lawyer that is suing because he wrecked his bike on a public trail.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. I too have had quite a bit of burping on various combinations of rims and tires. I never run less than 35 lbs now and can't remember the last burp. I also have noticed that some tires really (and I mean really!) seal to the strip. To the point of when deflating the tire I have to pry away the tire from the strip because it is so well bonded (this was with a conti vert pro). That puppy never burped! I no longer use Stan's strips but instead use a sliced 20 inch inner tube and feel that I get a better seal.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I recently went back to the Yes-Tubes system after arsing around with No-Tubes on my Mavic UST wheels. After numberous flats, messy tire changes, and constantly feeling on edge that my tires would fail I fee much better with tubes.

I'm a Shiggy convert, UST rims with UST tires I may try sometime in the future, but this sealant crap on regular tires is a pain in the rear. The miniscule rolling resistance advantage is more than offset in my case by having to tip-toe around any trail obsticle to keep my tires from ripping apart and spewing crap all over the place. Plus it's nice to again be able to swap tires in a couple of minutes.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Just had to chime in about you've got to be kidding about suing somebody for your own choice in using the Stan's system. Take some responsibility for your bike and what's on it and how to use it and what the risks are. Have no desire for tubeless right now personally, but would suggest you try some new tires or ditch the system...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for their insight. I'm getting my front wheel relaced with a 819 and see how that holds up.

As for the comments about the "suing" statement, that is exactly what sucks about this website. You make a joke or a statement and the self-righteous comment police come out of the woods and feel like they have to teach you what is "appropriate" or "inappropriate." Give it a rest, it gets old quick.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
carnetorta said:
Thanks everyone for their insight. I'm getting my front wheel relaced with a 819 and see how that holds up.

As for the comments about the "suing" statement, that is exactly what sucks about this website. You make a joke or a statement and the self-righteous comment police come out of the woods and feel like they have to teach you what is "appropriate" or "inappropriate." Give it a rest, it gets old quick.
When running tubeless, especially a stans setup, you will always do better with a wider rim. the wider the rim, the less likely the tires will burp. The safest method of running tubeless, is to run UST rims and tires......If you use stans, at least use a recommended tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.