Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I think that is a strange product. The type of person who would want a heated bike seat, probably wouldn't ride a bike when its cold anyways.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The type of person who would want a heated bike seat, probably wouldn't ride a bike when its cold anyways.
Ha ha, good point. The kind of person who buys it is too feckin' stupid to realise how useless it is. A lot of ALDI and Lidl products are like that. I think they pick up these fundamentally flawed products dirt cheap and flog them to the gullible.

·
Cycologist
10,070 Posts
Now if they made it heat a lot higher and included a remote control, they'd have a hit. Scum thief steals your bike and you fry his ass as he rides away.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I once went on a road ride in the evening, about 70F. A cold front was coming in. By the time I got back, it was dark, and it was so cold I could barely get off my bike. I stood in the shower in the hot water and I couldn't find my balls. They were somewhere up in my pelvis, huddling and hiding from the cold. About two hours later they came back. A heated seat would have helped me there. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think I've ever needed one of those...but it's not completely ridiculous.
I think it is. If it's cold enough out to be wanting heating you'll be too wrapped to for it to make much difference, for the short amount of time it will work until the battery is flat. And you're arse isn't even the bit that gets cold. Face, hands, chest lots of things will be a lot colder than your rear end.

·
Land of the 230+
2,569 Posts
I sure wouldnt mind heated grips in winter when we do night rides below 20F. You lose so much sensitivity with thicker gloves, and bar mits can cause you to go down with the ship should you need to bail. I looked into modifying a snowmobile heated grip kit, but never followed through.

But as far as a seat goes? Plenty of layering options are available instead.

·
9 lives
17,672 Posts
Do people riding bikes get cold butts? I haven't experienced it.

My toes and hands, on the other hand... get cold and yet having a heated seat never even crossed my mind. Maybe wear another layer?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,769 Posts
Do people riding bikes get cold butts? I haven't experienced it.

My toes and hands, on the other hand... get cold and yet having a heated seat never even crossed my mind. Maybe wear another layer?
The one exception I found to this is not wearing enough layers "down there", it makes for some very "frigid bits" when the rest of my body is fine. I solved this by wearing some chamois shorts under my xc ski pants, but there were a few "super-chill" rides. Ideally, some soft/silk undies with a little wind-blocker portion would be best for some of the warmer-but-still-below-freezing days, but I digress. Still not looking for a heated seat, it wouldn't help with the wind cutting through to these parts. Heated grips on the other hand...And my million dollar idea is regenerative brakes that store energy that can be used to heat pedals...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.