Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met with a few friends to ride a nice Santa Monica Mountains loop today. Chuky, PacMan, Swiss Miss and Cmpcsr all turned out, and Cmpcsr showed off her new Intense. Very Nice.

100% of the guys that showed up for this ride crashed. PacMan ditched his rig in a rock garden, and I decided to lay it down hard in some slippery gravel. Oh, and Swiss Miss flopped on Chuky's wheel, creating an off-road pile of dusty girls. In all, it was comedy and a good time was had by all. =)

Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/276937/

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
JMH said:
Met with a few friends to ride a nice Santa Monica Mountains loop today. Chuky, PacMan, Swiss Miss and Cmpcsr all turned out, and Cmpcsr showed off her new Intense. Very Nice.

100% of the guys that showed up for this ride crashed. PacMan ditched his rig in a rock garden, and I decided to lay it down hard in some slippery gravel. Oh, and Swiss Miss flopped on Chuky's wheel, creating an off-road pile of dusty girls. In all, it was comedy and a good time was had by all. =)

Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/276937/
Looks like fun, nice pics again, I hope nobody was hurt too bad :) (I managed to bash myself in the knee just doing my lunchtime ride, yet another bruise on my battered legs).

Just out of curiousity this is the sullivan ridge->mulholland->fire road 30->WR loop isn't it ?

How long did it take you guys to complete it ?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see...

Everyone was fine. No torn clothes and no bike damage as far as I know. Just annoyed, I think.

If I park at Sunset/Amalfi the loop typically takes me 2 hours. From my home in Venice it takes about 3.45 to 4 hours with a coffee break. Today it took 6, but that included a long food stop afterward and several re-groupings and picture breaks during the ride.

Kyoseki said:
Looks like fun, nice pics again, I hope nobody was hurt too bad :) (I managed to bash myself in the knee just doing my lunchtime ride, yet another bruise on my battered legs).

Just out of curiousity this is the sullivan ridge->mulholland->fire road 30->WR loop isn't it ?

How long did it take you guys to complete it ?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
JMH said:
Everyone was fine. No torn clothes and no bike damage as far as I know. Just annoyed, I think.

If I park at Sunset/Amalfi the loop typically takes me 2 hours. From my home in Venice it takes about 3.45 to 4 hours with a coffee break. Today it took 6, but that included a long food stop afterward and several re-groupings and picture breaks during the ride.
Everyone's fine, except I can't type with that finger. Two of us came from the Valley side, parking on Reseda. We biked over to Sullivan and down to where we could see the lone oak tree and the riders coming up to meet us. The group then went to the Hub and down WR. At the bridge the valley people turned around to climb back. (I recommend going up WR, mostly easy singletrack & fun)

No snakes today, very cool weather.

Our time was 5 hours (~26 miles) but we didn't get any tacos :-(. JMH - we made Reseda at 1:30, check the time stamp on your photos if you want to get the elapsed time.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
pacman said:
Everyone's fine, except I can't type with that finger. Two of us came from the Valley side, parking on Reseda. We biked over to Sullivan and down to where we could see the lone oak tree and the riders coming up to meet us. The group then went to the Hub and down WR. At the bridge the valley people turned around to climb back. (I recommend going up WR, mostly easy singletrack & fun)

No snakes today, very cool weather.

Our time was 5 hours (~26 miles) but we didn't get any tacos :-(. JMH - we made Reseda at 1:30, check the time stamp on your photos if you want to get the elapsed time.
I'm glad it was mostly pride that got injured, with the exception of your finger :) (note to self: pack first aid kit in Camelbak next time).

I'm just trying to gauge how much fitter/faster I need to get to be able to ride with regular riders, I did MDR (I live in the alphabets) through most of that loop in about 4 hours, but I came back down Trailer/Palisades Dr to Sunset instead of WR so that probably saved me a good half an hour to an hour over singletracking.

My lunchtime ride is usually from the Rose Cafe (I work across the street) up to the Sullivan Ridge gate and back, didn't have time today so I just went up Mesa a few times, strangely after the weekend ride I barely broke a sweat this time, don't know if that's cause I was on my hardtail instead of my squishy or what.

Again, looks like a great way to spend a wednesday morning, did you all play hooky or just tell work you were out playing and would be in in the afternoon ? Stuck in traffic on the 405 maybe ? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
that's a great ride & nice long loop to do, i like to start off reseda, thru caballero canyon (nice climb to start off with and a great way to finish the ride. i also like to include the Eagle rock loop from the Hub. i'm glad you guys had fun and didn't get majorly injured

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Pacman, riding insanely like that is bound to result in a crash ;) . I love that trail, there's nothing like it in my area. I've ridden it almost every weekend this month, and it keeps getting better and faster. IMO its never been as fun as it is now... at least not in this year.
The only downside being that it's a little too overgrown in some sections and it's crawling with ticks. Last Sunday morning I was picking them off for hours... :eek:

Good to hear I'm not the only one enjoying WR
rusyb :)

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Cool Shots...

It's been almost 3 years since I rode Will Rogers and I sure miss that trail. Give me a shout if you guys are riding up there again. I just live off Rose ave & the bike path so I'm pretty close by. Is that a SISS I see? Man, I had a SISS and tried riding it to Sullivan with the stock gearing and took me forever to get there:) Then I switched the gearing to a 42/18 and it was a little better but once I started the climbs it was hellish and guess what, I cracked the chainstay! Still, it was all fun...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.