Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend's bike was stolen off of her car last Thursday night (8/12) in Hailey.. :mad: . It's a 2004 yellow Ionic full suspension bike. The frame is pretty unique b/c she ordered it from Ionic (now Dean) this year and I haven't seen another Ionic full suspension frame of any color other than hers.... Also, they didn't get the front wheel, but the rear wheel is a black XT(disc compatible hub) laced up to a black Mavic XC717 rim with black spokes and blue nipples...
Anyway, I'll attach a pic and if you guys could keep your eyes and ears open, it would be greatly appreciated. There's a $500 reward for any info leading to the recovery of the bike or the dismemberment of the person(s) responsible.. :D ...
Where do stolen bikes go anyway :confused:
Does it make sense, and are you allowed, to post this on the general discussion board as well???

Cheers!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Bummer

I will keep my eye out for the bike on the Boise trails. Since the color of the bike may change, it would be helpful to know the size of the frame.

You should hit the Pon shops in Boise, Twin Falls, Burley ect. Maybe even watch E-bay for a while to see if some one tries to sell it.

Hope the home owners covers the bike.

We will hope that the thief's karma turns to dogma!
 

·
Wandervans
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Call the area police stations

I have know people who have had bikes stolen in McCall and then they turnup at the police station in boise or other towns. So I would suggest calling around to the different towns in about 3 to 6 weeks to see if they have confiscated the bike and it is sitting in impound.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smilycook said:
I have know people who have had bikes stolen in McCall and then they turnup at the police station in boise or other towns. So I would suggest calling around to the different towns in about 3 to 6 weeks to see if they have confiscated the bike and it is sitting in impound.

Chris
Hey Thanks for the tips and for "keeping an eye out" for me. The frame is a size small. We've checked with a few pawn shops and found out that they are required to file a weekly report with the police of everything that has come in. With bikes, they are required to submit the serial numbers. Then, supposedly, there is a national database that the police monitor. So, theoretically, a bike stolen in ID, and taken to a pawn shop in TX, would be recovered. The problem is that Ionic doesn't put serial numbers on their frames (I'm still corresponding with them to determine why that is). So, the bike would not be accepted by a pawn shop b/c it does not have a serial number.........
At least I'm learning something in this process :) Oh, and the other thing that I learned is that I don't have homeowners insurance, which I thought I did. I just bought my townhouse a couple of months ago and assumed that the "proof of insurance" that the mortgage lender was looking for is actually just the insurance that the homeowners association has on the exterior of the building and is not homeowners insurance. I have to get that myself. Sure wish I had known that earlier :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Was it locked up?

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive: was the bike locked up? I'm actually curious how secure the car bike mounts with locks can be. If it was locked up, can you describe how the lock was defeated?

Sorry about the loss.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sumac said:
I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive: was the bike locked up? I'm actually curious how secure the car bike mounts with locks can be. If it was locked up, can you describe how the lock was defeated?

Sorry about the loss.

Steve
Not insensitive at all. Valid question actually.. It wasn't locked. I don't even own a lock. Until now, it was one of the beautiful things about living here, that you didn't really have to worry about anything being stolen. I've gone away for the weekend and inadvertently left the front door open (not just unlocked), only to come back and find nothing gone. I've never locked doors and the keys are always in the car. It is a very appealing thing to me. To lock things seemed untrusting and fearful. It was an Idealistic belief, but I really really liked it. Not anymore I guess. The area is growing and with that comes all of the problems that you have with more people..... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it back! :D I had posted flyers everywhere with a good pic of the bike and a $500 reward for information leading to it's return. This morning I got a call from a guy who "had information" about the bike and wanted me to meet him. I did. He claims to have found it in the bushes nearby. It's a small town, so it only took a few minutes to find someone who has known the guy for a while and they said he's been in some trouble and is supposedly a "meth head". I gave him a check for $300 of the reward since he couldn't point me to a responsible party. In all honesty, I'm almost certain the kid stole it, or had something to do with it, but I can't prove anything, so I figure it's a $300 lesson........
Thanks for all of the responses and PM's. It's a good feeling knowing that there are other people out there trying to help you out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Irishbuddha said:
The day ends with good news! Thanks for letting us know.

Sounds like your girl friend owes you a fowl burger and beverage at Grumpy's. :cool:
you're on my wavelength :D
 

·
King of the Barneys
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
ketchd said:
Got it back! :D I had posted flyers everywhere with a good pic of the bike and a $500 reward for information leading to it's return. This morning I got a call from a guy who "had information" about the bike and wanted me to meet him. I did. He claims to have found it in the bushes nearby. It's a small town, so it only took a few minutes to find someone who has known the guy for a while and they said he's been in some trouble and is supposedly a "meth head". I gave him a check for $300 of the reward since he couldn't point me to a responsible party. In all honesty, I'm almost certain the kid stole it, or had something to do with it, but I can't prove anything, so I figure it's a $300 lesson........
Thanks for all of the responses and PM's. It's a good feeling knowing that there are other people out there trying to help you out!
CONGRATULATIONS! very good news. Rarely do these stories have happy endings, unless insurance replaces with a better one, or something. This is great.

Chris Brown
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top