Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking into getting into downhill mountain biking and i found this yellow full suspension bike at a junk yard (the rear derailer was mangled) it say catapult and equator on it but what really struck my eye is that it has a full travel fork (not sure if that is the right term) you know the kind on trek sessions and stuff. i can't find any info on it on the net so i was wondering if you guys knew anything about it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is it anything like this one?

Torch_racing said:
what really can go wrong with it?
How about it can snap and then you get hurt...

Honestly though you would spend the money to get a nice Fox Shock, or a new Fork when you can use that money to get a decent used complete bike? Feel free to do what you want if you are looking for something to do, but if you want to ride then I would put that thing back in the junk yard.

·
attending to my vices
460 Posts
I like catapults and the equator which is... good. Yellow is a pretty aggressive color though which is...bad. So it's a tough call really. Fox shocks might even that out for you. Good luck!

·
my fun has a hurting
658 Posts
no one is saying this to be mean. we have all been there and we all learned valuable lessons along the way. what you are asking is the equivalent of "hey i found an old chevette on the side of the road, think i can add some aftermarket parts and then race it in baja?"

its not only going to cost you way more in the long run, its dangerous too. that bike and the level of components you are talking about (altus) are NOT designed to be ridden on technical xc trails, much less actual downhill or freeride trails. there is a reason those kind of bikes have stickers on them saying "not intended for off road use" that reason is catastrophic failure resulting in serious injury or death. no joke.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cantil3v3r said:
Is it anything like this one?

How about it can snap and then you get hurt...

Honestly though you would spend the money to get a nice Fox Shock, or a new Fork when you can use that money to get a decent used complete bike? Feel free to do what you want if you are looking for something to do, but if you want to ride then I would put that thing back in the junk yard.
that's exactly the one. except it's a 21 speed rather than an 18

·
Registered
969 Posts
Torch_racing said:
that's exactly the one.
If you are going to ask a question, you should LISTEN to the answers you get.

It was in the dump for a reason!

It's a cheap bike. Wallmart Special.

Quality is not there. Put a nice fork on there that has any amount of travel and the stress on the headtube may break it, while you are riding.

And, you're not going to find a fox shock to fit that bike, nor will you find the shock fittings, to make a shock fit the frame. Won't happen!

And Altus gear is not trail worthy.

Take the money you would have put into this bike, and put it into a good used hardtail with front suspension.

If you don't have a bike other than this, sure, take it for a spin while you save but be freaking careful what you're doing. This was not meant to be ridden hard. Save your cash, and put it into something worthwhile.

·
my fun has a hurting
658 Posts

·
my fun has a hurting
658 Posts
why does it NEED to have rear suspension? judging by the bikes you have i'm guessing that you wont be hitting the resorts anytime soon, and if you did you can rent. for xc riding a decent 29er running fairly low tire pressure will have all the suspension you need, with or without a suspension fork.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok you guys wanna know the whole story? i've been into bmx for a while now and now my causin made the mistake of showing me red bull rampage and i can't help myself i want to get into mountain biking. so i don't know a whole lot about mountain biking so i'm gonna need yer guys help to pick out a good one that isn't gonna need constant repair. here are my criteria:
needs to be soft tail.
no twist grips have to be trigger (i already have some of this hardware that i can install)
lots of rear travel.
low seat.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Torch_racing said:
gotta be soft tail. unfortunatly that's when it gets expensive.
Why "gotta be"?

By the sounds of it, you're fairly new at this.

Anyone who started riding, and I mean really riding, on a hardtail, will tell you that it was a good move. You'll earn a lot by doing so.

Buy a cheap full suspension, and you have more cheap moving parts, and more to break. As well, you'll get low suspension quality, whack leverage ratios, etc - it won't ride efficently, or well, and quite possible, you'll have LESS control over your bike due to the fact. And that's the exact opposite of the true point of a full suspension bike.

Snap into reality man. You're being an arse.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's one big oxymoron!

Cheap full suspension = a ton of work you'll end up doing, and you'll sink a lot of money.

Lots of rear wheel travel is not going to help you, nor are any of your other qualifications.

Dude. Get with it.

If you want to learn to jump, BUY A FREAKING HARDTAIL. Single speed, or with just rear gearing. Keep it simple. Use it to learn!

When you can afford, make the jump to a full suspension! By then you'll have the skills to make the most of it.

Go buy a big bike now, and I'll bet it will turn you into a slouch. But that's outside your buget, by the sounds of it, anyway.

You're not about to enter redbull rampage 2010 are you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
price range:closest to free as possible
hight: 5'4"
weight:120lbs
minor curb hight bumps minor grade. roots and such but i want it to be able to handle hard lands because from years of bmx i don't love anything more than landing a major step up or step down.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Torch_racing said:
price range:closest to free as possible
hight: 5'4"
weight:120lbs
minor curb hight bumps minor grade. roots and such but i want it to be able to handle hard lands because from years of bmx i don't love anything more than landing a major step up or step down.
Have you asked anyone over at Pinkbike.com yet?

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.