Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor was going to throw this out today so I snatched it up. Does anyone have an idea how old it is? My friend is going to powdercoat it for me as soon as I can find a near stock color. I'm thinking about a new set of chrome bars, dirt cruiser tires, leather seat, and some polished rims.

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow man, that this not rare, collectable or worth more than the what the recycler will give you. it's not even from the original British company. if you want to save it i would make it into a beater bar bike or wear some overalls and try pass as many $4000 bikes as you can on a Saturday ride. spending money on it would be a mistake unless you grew up with it and had an emotional attatchment to it which it sounds like you dont.

i don't mean to ruin your dreams but you better off getting a cruiser frame worthy of dropping some coin on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, get a Schwinn cruiser frame, they are built much better. That frame doesn't look like a Raleigh to me, it looks more like a Murray, I think I have a few of those frames under my deck.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think it was a rare/vintage/valuable. I was just tring to figure out how old it is. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It's not worth it to build it up unless I get the parts for almost free.

·
Registered
779 Posts
well, maybe somebody here knows when Raleigh of england became Raleigh of USA. late 80's early 90's i'd say.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Could be fun

The raleigh usa website says they 'moved their headquarters into its present location' in 1985.

If I had a frame like that (and I realize the only reason I don't is because I havn't looked) I would make it into a $hitty townie cruiser. And don't worry about finding parts. Go dumpster diving - all you'll need are grips, wheels (hopefully something with a coaster brake) and tires, and a chain. Then head to the hardwear store for some rustoleum paint (pink or baby blue or John Deere green) and 48 hours later you'll be cruisin' in style!

·
1,476 Posts
TobyNobody said:
The raleigh usa website says they 'moved their headquarters into its present location' in 1985.

If I had a frame like that (and I realize the only reason I don't is because I havn't looked) I would make it into a $hitty townie cruiser. And don't worry about finding parts. Go dumpster diving - all you'll need are grips, wheels (hopefully something with a coaster brake) and tires, and a chain. Then head to the hardwear store for some rustoleum paint (pink or baby blue or John Deere green) and 48 hours later you'll be cruisin' in style!
Does anybody have or know where i can get a pic of a 84-85 raleigh headbadge of a 24 bmx/crusier. It had front and back brakes on it. PLEASE. Or any badge from around that time period or before. I believe it looked like a typical scottish badge shape with scottish symbols on it. It was made of metal of course . One rivit on the top and bottem and i believe had red and blue in it.

This is the bike that made me the biker i am today. Around 87 i got my hands on some car keys and never touched/cared or thought about that bike untill about 97. I would really like to touch it again. Examine the crank length, gear ratio,geometry,weight. O-well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.