Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just felt the first set of hydros at my LBS today(avid Juicy 3), and I fell in love with the feel. Now I want to buy a set of hydros for my light downhill bike(35 pounds , 6 inches f & r)
I weigh 130 pounds, and my budget is about 300 for both. I know there are a lot of personal preferences, so I would like to hear about what brakes you like, and what brakes have given you enormous amounts of trouble. Thanks in advance for everything

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
As much as I would love to say all Avid brakes rule, the Avid Juicy 3's that I tried out were just plain garbage, and on a new bike no less. They had absolutely no modulation whatsoever and the lever feel was gross compared to Avid Juicy 5's, I had a set of Avid Juicy 5's on my street/DJ bike for over 2 years, they never gave me any trouble and had great modulation. I'd recommend the Avid BB7 brakes before I would recommend the juicy 3's to anyone.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have bb7, but there feel is no match for the juicy 3 IMO

So the juicy 5 is pretty reliable?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size rotors are you rollin on. I was thinking 185s(thats what ive got w/ my bb7s)

I was thinking juicy 5s or juicy 7s

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
my '08 HiFi Deluxe came with Juicy 5's - i'm very satisfied with them... amazing stopping power! especially on descents (i have 185 front, 160 rear rotors). i guess my only two small complaints would be 1) lack of pad contact adjuster like the Juicy 7's and above... and 2) almost too much bite by that i mean modulation could be a tad better (not that it's bad out of the box - i'm nit picking)... but i think experimenting with pads might improve that (and it could be to me needing to get used to them more... but if you can afford the 7's - maybe consider those (since they have the contact point adjustment)... but the 5's will certainly do the trick too

overall - super happy with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for excellent stopping power for good value

cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, now Im leaning towards the juicy 5s lol. How much ya weigh?

Dont mean to shut you down, but anyone else have a brake they like?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hayes Stroker Trail

Don't even bother with the J3's. If you're going to go with Juicy's, spend the money and get the J 7's. The outboard adjustment knob alone is well worth the additional money over the J5's. If you want to spend your $300 wisely, the best money is probably on the new Hayes Stroker Trail. I'm no Hayes fan, but it looks like they hit it with these brakes. People who have bought them (many users I've seen have owned other Hayes and Avid Hydros) are raving. You can get a set on ebay for less than $300 shipped.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hayes+stroker+trail&category0=

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Id just like to point something out about the Juicy 7's that a lot of people seem to be misinformed about. the Contact Point Adjust dial on the Avid Juicy 7 levers does NOT change the distance between the pads and the rotor. it merely adjusts the point at which the brake lever starts working.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so contact point adjust changes the beginning of the braking(ie: how far the lever pulls before the brakes engage)???

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
CrazyCanuck said:
Id just like to point something out about the Juicy 7's that a lot of people seem to be misinformed about. the Contact Point Adjust dial on the Avid Juicy 7 levers does NOT change the distance between the pads and the rotor. it merely adjusts the point at which the brakes start working.
ah... good to know... i don't feel so bad about my 5's :thumbsup:

(so does that mean 5's can be made into 7's with swapping the levers?)

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
best thing to possibly do, borrow a friends bike with Juicy 7's, go for a ride, and see how often you play with that knob. If your like me, you'll touch it a few times to get it feeling how you want, and then it will never be touched again. Thats why I bought the Juicy 5's.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
if you're going to be doing DH - have you looked at the Codes?

then again - since you're only 130 - might not need the power of the Codes...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.