Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
No pics yet.

I don't have any pics yet actually I just ordered mine the other day and it is due in tomarrow. I can't wait! I will take pics of everything as I unpack and assemble my new stead.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
I don't do any urban, and I wouldn't try dj on this bike personally. Not that it couldn't take it - I bought the 19" which is pretty big, great for trail riding, not good for my pumptrack or dj. A 17" would've been good for those, so I just use my wife's Warrior for that. And good eye - my foot did slip off on that rock crawl - it's pretty icy in Boise right now!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Bombin4X said:
Got mine setup more for trail assault right now, and I love how stiff the frame is for railing singletrack. I also take it over some rocks which is fun. Minor upgrades have been made to the bike.
Exactly what the bike was designed for. The geometry was 100% planned for use as an aggressive woods trail/ play bike. Its nice to see someone enjoying it for that purpose.

Dave

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
=ChrisB= said:
Sick. How they do for Urban/DJ?

Hey it looks like your footsies are about to come off.
The Bakuto wasn't really planned for Urban / DJ, but it will definitely work. Keep your eyes peeled over the next few months for a new 09 prototype IH jumping bike with geometry designed by the Iron Horse Development League riders; Lars Tribus, Dave Smutok, Jordie Lunn, and Len Hornidge.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I finally got my bike in last night and after about an hour or so of putting it together I was able to ride to the end of my street and back. I still need to make some minor adjustmenst and get a shock pump so I can setup the fork but for the most part its good to go and I can't wait to get out on the trail with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After ridding mine for a couple of months now I have not found much that I would change. However I am getting ready to drop my small ring up front altogether and install a bashring chain guide combo. If I were not going to do this in the near future I would haft to replace the stock bash ring due to small cracks developing around the boltholes. But for the most part the bike is awesome and I have a blast on the thing I’m sure you will to just get outside and ride it like you stole it you will soon learn what you like and dislike and what need to be changed/upgraded.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
stubecontinued said:
.... I know this is an old thread but I ordered a bakuto last thursday and I'm really excited. any ideas for making it more trail friendly? any pictures? Any thoughts on the bike?
I made mine more trail worthy for the local riding spots by swapping the stock parts with:

- a more comfortable and lighter saddle and seatpost
- lighter and faster rolling tires
- lighter and better platform pedals
- longer stem and wider bars (not oversized) with Lizard Skins lock-on grips
- swapped out the front chainrings to a 22/34 for steeper climbing
- took the Splice fork off and sold it on ebay since I already had a Marz Drop-off to slap on until I move the Pike over to it

I really enjoy riding it here in the foothills and trails where I live. It's super stiff and the 19" fits me perfectly since I am about 6'3", 200lbs.

EDIT: Did you get an 05, 06, or 07? I think the 06 had much nicer specs than the 05 did. And the 07 is a Dj/Urban/Park bike now.

·
A Gentleman and a MTBR'
583 Posts
I got an 05.
I was planning to replace the forks already, but with what? I figured a longer stem might be in order as I am planning to ride it as more of a trail bike. Better platforms are probably a given also, what's a good light platform I might consider? I know the drivetrain is not top quality and will probably upgrade as I see the need.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.