Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thought I'll share my experience here about the funky rear wheel spacing on my 2006 Yakuza Aniki.

Bike came stock with a rear 135x10 quick-release hub. Always had a PITA installing and removing the wheel because I had to compress the drop-outs a lot.

After changing out for a solid axle, I measure the frame and find out the rear spacing between drop-outs was in fact 142mm. So I re-space my hub and now I have a nice 142x10 solid axle rear end which is much stiffer and lot easier to work with. I guess this was made to allow some kind of compatibility for 142x12 rear spacing along other IH frame that used the same rear swing arm or something along this ?

Or could I weld on some adapters and turn my frame into a 142x10, but using the QR system of a 142x12mm hub, not making the frame 142x12, but using 10mm axle instead. That would be awesome ! But I guess you would have a hard time welding something solid on aluminum drop-outs and figure out a way to make it work...

Well. A few pics. Hope this helps other people in the same situation :)

Edit : Pics to come soon :p

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey thanks for sharing,

i just bought a used 08 yakuza aniki mine is exactly at 135mm.

i think the look of 06 is different from 08. but if its 135mm drop out, if should be 135mm, i had another bike that was supposed to be 135 but its 139. because it was bent

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some pics of mine.

The 2008 might be different from the 2005 to 2007 models.

Mine came out right at 142mm inside the drop-outs. I didn't heard about any other Yakuza Aniki bikes with different spacing yet so mine might also just be a knock-off or is same as everyone else. Any feedback would help here.

I also converted to a single ring crank, so I took advantage of the wide spacing to get my rear chainline pin point on 50mm. Well, I basically just added 7mm worth of washers on the left side. Now I'll have to true the wheel back into dish to get this done well. Another issue I had was the caliper position. Now that the rotor is far more inboard, I had to space the adaptor a few mm's out and I don't have much threads to hold it in place. I'm gonna get longer screws asap before I get into trouble... I could also simply space out the rotor, but I didn't feel like it was the best solution right now.. I already have trouble keeping everything straight with that shitty caliper so I'll cure the problem to the right place.

I managed to find two 2.5mm washers and a 2mm lock washer that I pried open to make it flat. Fit nice and tight, like a glove.

Double washers and M10x1 nut to keep it all in place.

Here's some pics I took with the flash on a dusty bike :p

Attachments

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And did they even made a Yakuza Aniki for 2008 ?

·
Registered
748 Posts
on my frame it says 2008 and other bunch of stuffs painted in some text from factory. i searched for a long time before i bought it. nothing 2008 came up. iron horse website doesnt have achieve like specialized so i guess there is really no way to comfirm

i dont worry too much about chain line. how is your rotor and caliper clearance?

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My caliper is alright I guess. I just have to space out the adaptor and it's ok.

Yours might be a 2007 model build up in 2008... Like mine is a 2006, but was build up in 2007 for a special order. Don't really matter though.

Mine just really came out as a 142 rear spacing. Not bent or twisted. Funny :p

·
Registered
748 Posts
yeah, as long as everything works properly , nothing matters.

BTW how does your bike weight. my bare frame weights 8.4 lbs with stock fox vanilla r shock. nothing else.

i guess when i strip the paint the frame would lose about half lb. its still very heavy compare to my previouse DJs.

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never weight the frame alone, but fully build as of last fall it was 40.25 pounds. I might have dropped under 40 with a few mods but I'll try to weight it down today and see. I'm using the stock X-Fusion Glyde RL coil over shock.

·
Registered
748 Posts
man, my finish build would probably weight more than you, i will put some heavy freeride rims on mine. still be running low end 1 x 8 sp cassette and chain.

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahah, yeah, mine has the stock wheels with no name front 20mm disc hub and rear (now a Deore 142x10mm solid) disc hub. Both running the stock WTB Double Duty FR rims. And I had a 22-32-bash with 8 speed cassette stock. Now I went to 32-bash with a 8 speed cassette. Kept the fd as a chain guide meanwhile but removed the fd spring, fd cable/housing and shifter.

Climbing is gonna suck no matter what anyways ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
yeah, i think 8 gears is enough for me tho. haha. like you said climbing always suck no matter how many speed you have . later man.

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to upgrade to 9 spd to be able to run X9 shifters.... Just saw a set of X9 for $60 new on Chainlove... Awww. Need more money. Cause I'll need a new chain and cassette too. I'll wait till my new X4 crap out and then make the move.

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw, if you have a BB7 caliper with pads for sale, let me know... Already have the adaptors and bolts, just need the caliper. Thanks :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
i do have a lot of them, but they are all in pairs. i also left one for my current build. im debating if i should try out some decent hydraulics. if i do decide to go with hydros , i will MSG you . it wont cost you an arm or leg.

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, that's appreciate :)

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i do have a lot of them, but they are all in pairs. i also left one for my current build. im debating if i should try out some decent hydraulics. if i do decide to go with hydros , i will MSG you . it wont cost you an arm or leg.
Check your PM.

:thumbsup:

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not in the slightest. In fact I've been interested into both since I bought the bike, but never heard about them yet.

I don't find the HA to be very slack with a 150mm fork... But I know it can easily take a dual-crown like a Drop-Off Triple. I was even thinking about getting an angle-set to make the steep technical sections more friendly.

·
Registered
748 Posts
cool. thats good to hear. i will be running a sherman 130-170mm fork. so i got a lil bit adjustability there.

btw the way i just weighted my small aniki frame. weights 7lb 1.7 oz without the pivot bolts. 8lb 14.7 oz with stock vanilla R shock and all the bolts

·
Huckin' trails
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gosh, that's something. Mine is a 17", medium I guess, but never weighted the frame alone. I'll install a new rear tire (lighter) and chainring bolts and spacers and let you know how much it weights after.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts