Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ridin' in iRie meditation
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Yakima rack system and I'm trying to decide which tray to get. A quick search here turned up some suggestions to go with a Thule V2 on the Yakima rack. Of course, there is always the Viper from Yak.

From what I understand, these are the two trays that will work with disc brakes (Hayes Hydros if it matters). I'm not adverse to mixing brands if that's the best way to go.

Anyone have any advice on the subject? Thanks in advance!

KonaFred

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yakima

i use to work at a shop that carried both and no-one used thule. don't get me wrong they are a great company with a great product. however we felt that yakima was better quality and more user friendly. i have steelhead's from yakima (vipers were not out yet), but my friend has only vipers and we take his truck almost every time we ride. they are bombproof, easy to use and adjust to different forks, and easy to put the bike on and take it off.

The viper def has my vote, plus remember that you can use the same key with the viper and the rest of your rack (whatever you have: q-towers, railriders, raingutter, ect...) i went ahead and got a set of 12 lock cores when i got my rack, that way i would always have the same key nomatter what i added down the road. and it has paid off since i have gotten a rocketbox and powderhound recently. one key for everything without having to change out lock cores

Hope this helps, just my $.02 :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the V2,

And I like it, it serves its purpose, has the necked down tray to accommodate discs, when it closes it covers (and locks) the hex nuts.
I can't say I am wild with how the tray is attached in the front with a small u-clamp but no problems so far and I actually hit a low hanging bar with my bike on it once, no damage rendered.

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
I have yakima lowriders and bars with a v2 and an old velo vise. I really like the thule trays.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
KonaFred said:
Just got a Yakima rack system and I'm trying to decide which tray to get. A quick search here turned up some suggestions to go with a Thule V2 on the Yakima rack. Of course, there is always the Viper from Yak.

From what I understand, these are the two trays that will work with disc brakes (Hayes Hydros if it matters). I'm not adverse to mixing brands if that's the best way to go.

Anyone have any advice on the subject? Thanks in advance!

KonaFred
Sportworks Bob Racket or Factory Bob.

Quick, easy and very solid. Both wheels stay in, works with any bike and can be clamped on the front or rear wheel. I love mine.
https://www.sportworks.com/stbob.asp

·
Ridin' in iRie meditation
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who replied. In the end I went with the Sportworks Bob Ratchet. Had a couple guys recommend, plus Shiggy here. Found it on sale at SuperGo for $100 (they're right by my place) and they were having a tax-free sale, so I jumped on it. They had both a Yak Viper and the Bob Ratchet setup on Yak bars with bikes in them, so I got a good look at both in action and was able to try them both out. Wouldn't it be great if everything we bought was this easy to demo. The Viper was nice, but in the end the convenience of not taking the wheel off won out.

Now I can look forward to being paranoid of forgetting about my bike being top everywhere I go
:D

KonaFred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.