Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Str8stunna
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running a Marz 888 on my Intense UZZI VPX, I have a Yakima trunk mount rack for my car. The problem Im having is that the clamp/opening for the Yakima top tube adapter will not go around the integrated stem setup (its a 1.5" headtube also which may be why it doesnt go around it). Is it safe to mount the adapter to the side of the fork or does anyone else have a better idea on how to use the top tube adapter with this setup? If I don't use the adapter the bike sits way high on the back of my car and just doesn't seem secure enough.

THX

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
By 'side of the fork' do you mean on the upper stanction? Without looking at it in person, doesn't seem like that will work:

If you tighten the adapter it'll pull the handlebar and wheel all the way to one side. Won't that interfere with getting it on the rack?

If you leave the adapter loose, the bike will flop around, am I wrong?

Maybe one of these other types or brands of top tube adapters will work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=top...oPhlAWVvYGACg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567

·
Str8stunna
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly my point and yes I meant the upper stanchion. I might be able to hook it to the upper stanchion and then run a nylon piece thru the frame and thru the front tire to hold the front tire straight...I just don't know any other way since the frame doesn't have a straight top tube. And how are you supposed to keep the bike from swaying and hitting the bumper/trunk lid? ?..seems easier to take the tires off and put in the back seat sometimes :) Thanks for the reply....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I ran into this problem a few years back when I switched over to duallies myself. If you can swing it, I would suggest a roof rack or hitch rack that secures from the wheels. Craigslist is usually littered with possibilities here. I would never latch anything to the fork stanchions as it would wear on it destroying your fork.

·
Str8stunna
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a roof rack also but its a pain to lift a 41lb bike, thanks for all the suggestions..I'll try to see what else I can figure out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts