It's not a new invention as these tent contraptions above vehicles have been around for almost a hundred years, used in epic wildlife expeditions. But in the past few years, they've captured the attention of 4wd enthusiasts otherwise know as 'overlanders' who roam challenging off-road terrain, camp out, rinse, repeat.
The Skyrise tent can be pitched quickly. The ladder and all hardware are included for ease of set up.
Mountain bikers are catching on this lifestyle as folks drive up to their races the night before, setup the tent in minutes and are ready to race the next day. The real opportunity comes in reaching remote areas, camping, riding, driving and doing it over.
Yakima has entered the rooftop tent game with the introduction of the Slimshady Awning and Skyrise Tent. Joining the likes of Tepui and CVT, Yakima brings a lighter version at under 100 pounds and under $1000. Their tent is easy to get on and off racks with its weight and tool-free fasteners.
Ideal for Yakima fans that have already invested in the Yakima system, the Skyrise Tents are available in small (two person) or medium (accommodates three). It includes a foam mattress with a removable cover for easy care, and mounts directly to your existing Yakima roof rack system. Press play to learn more.
Skyrise Details and Features
- Available in small (2 person - $999, 95 pounds with 400-pound capacity) and medium (3 person - $1350, 115 pounds with weighs 115 pounds with 600-pound capacity)
- Available on rei.com
- Yakima roof rack system required.
- Thick, 2.5" wall-to-wall foam mattress
- Mattress includes removable cover for easy cleaning
- Made from lightweight and breathable 210D nylon material
- Mesh panel improves ventilation and provides sky view
- 210D nylon rainfly with PU coating
- Aluminum poles are light, strong and pre-set to simplify set-up
- Tool-free vehicle mounts with no bolts required
- Locks to roof rack with SKS Lock Cores (included) for added security
- Ladder and all hardware are included
Finally, if you're looking to set up a base camp for a bit of shelter from rain or sun, the Slimshady Awning is the ticket. The lightweight nylon canopy has a waterproof PU coating to shed rain and offers 36 square feet of coverage. Mounting quickly and easily to the side of your base rack, it takes up just six inches of bar space. Price is $259.
Learn more at www.yakima.com.
This article is part of Mtbr's coverage of the 2017 Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, California. For more from Sea Otter CLICK HERE.