Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a yakima raptor off of craigslist to use with my full suspension bike. i installed it and loaded up the bike for the first time today - i had to pull over after three blocks b/c it sounds like all heck had broken loose up there. after tightening everything down, i decided the noise was from the play in the raptor arms where they attach to the rack. i'm undecided if i want to take my chances on the highway. i know some swaying is normal for these types of racks but how much is too much? is this a normal occurrence with the raptor? should i just turn up the radio and stop worrying?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
There should be little to no sway and certainly no slop between the bike mount and the rack. I used the pre-precursor to the Raptor (GT mount) for years and the only sway was from wear in the clamp arm pivots and a minor amount in the clamp jaws themselves.

If the clamp arm pivots are worn the rack will make noise when driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you explain what you mean by clamp arm pivots ie. where are they exactly? i figured out that the rack has a little play where the clamp arm pivots down by the base - they are attached by rivets and there's not way to tighten them. is that what you mean? thanks! i may be just a little paranoid b/c i can shake the car by grabbing the clamp arms and trying to move the bike side to side. it's just a little unnerving to see your bike moving just a tad while up on the roof!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.