Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drove the car into the garage with her bike on top for the second time. So for the sake of our car, rack, bikes, house and marriage, it's time to get a hitch rack. I do not want one that holds bikes by the frame so I want to get a Yakima Holdup.

I'm getting a 1.25" receiver installed on our Accord. I'm going to use an adapter to make it a 2" receiver (that way I can get the 2" Holdup so I can use it on an SUV later). The question is, has anyone used a Yakima Holdup on a car (i.e. not a truck or SUV)? And has anyone used the 4 bike (that is you got the 2-bike add-on).

I'd like to put 4 bikes on the rack by getting the Holdup plus 2 add-on, but I'm thinking it would be too much for a car.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
farmertan said:
My wife drove the car into the garage with her bike on top for the second time. So for the sake of our car, rack, bikes, house and marriage, it's time to get a hitch rack. I do not want one that holds bikes by the frame so I want to get a Yakima Holdup.

I'm getting a 1.25" receiver installed on our Accord. I'm going to use an adapter to make it a 2" receiver (that way I can get the 2" Holdup so I can use it on an SUV later). The question is, has anyone used a Yakima Holdup on a car (i.e. not a truck or SUV)? And has anyone used the 4 bike (that is you got the 2-bike add-on).

I'd like to put 4 bikes on the rack by getting the Holdup plus 2 add-on, but I'm thinking it would be too much for a car.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Make sure the hitch you put on your accord is a class II. I bought a new civic last year and put a class I hitch on it (class I is all I could find for an 08' civic) and the 2' adaptor does not fit into a class I hitch. Since the tongue weight is so low on a class I, it wouldn't be smart to have 4 bikes back there anyway. Hopefull you can get a class II hitch and you shouldn't have a problem holding 4 bikes on the hitch. My class I hitch can only take a 1.25 rack which only holds 2 bikes.

I hope this ramble makes some sense to you.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only get a class I, which is a 1.25" receiver. I don't plan on putting 4 bikes on it (unless it just looks very sturdy).

I'm getting an adapter so I can use a rack that's designed for a 2" reciever. You have to buy the Yakima Hold-up in either a 1.25 or 2 inch version.

I don't want to shoot myselft in the foot (slight pun intended) and not be able to use the rack on an SUV that has a 2" reciever later. The Holdup plus 2 will only fit on the Holdup that's designed for a 2" receiver, and I want to be able to use the add-on when we get a bigger vehicle (that is if gas isn't $15/gallon in a few years!).

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 1.25 to 2 adaptor will not work with a class I hitch. I know from experience. It will go in, but not all the way. They don't fit because the tongue weight for a class I is only 200 pounds and if you put an adaptor to 2" on a class I you can put a lot of big things that can potentially weigh a lot and cause failure of your hitch. I called around to a few different rack shops when I bought my civic and they all told me the same thing. I had a 4 bike holder for my old Pathfinder that was a 2" and I wanted to use it with my civic, but it just wouldn't work. Sorry to bring the bad news to you. Just keep the accord, you don't need an SUV anyway :thumbsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firch said:
Just keep the accord, you don't need an SUV anyway :thumbsup:
LOL! I know! But try telling my wife that. She's convinced a mid-size SUV has a lot more room in it, but I don't think so.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm getting the hitch installed today, and they ordered the adapter. If it doesn't fit, oh well. I'm ordering the rack on Monday. I'll probably just end up getting the 1.25" version.

Or if I get the Stickup, it can fit either, just can't expand to 4 bikes.

BTW, do you know if a 2" reciever can be adapted to fit a rack with a 1.25" fit?

·
Registered
101 Posts
SUV's do have a little bit more room, but in my eyes, they cost too much to operate for the 1 or 2 times a year when you might actually use that extra room.

They do make adaptor's that go from 2" down to 1.25" as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just buy the 1 1/4 and forget about it. Those kinds of cars are not designed around putting hitches on (let alone a 2 inch one). I think I am reasonable saying it is unsafe to put that type of weight hanging off of the back of that car with a couple of bolts holding it through two (or maybe three) ply of sheetmetal. Besides, imagine how loaded down that car would be with four bikes, four people, and all the gear that goes along with that. It's too much!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Receive installed

Well, I got the 1.25” receiver installed last night and picked up the 2” receiver adapter, just in case. The receiver uses the tow hook under the rear of the car as the primary support, along with 3 other screws. I may shoot a couple of pics tonight and see what y’all think.

Overall it looks extremely sturdy. It has a 200lb tongue weight. A buddy of mine has a 2 bike Holdup so I’m going to put it on my 2” receiver and see if I should also get the 2 bike add-on.

BTW, the extra 2 bikes are for my kids’ bikes. My son is 4 and daughter is 7, so it’s not like I’d be adding 2 downhill bikes. The combined weight of both the bikes would be around 35-40 lbs. I think the real concern is how far out the rack would stick with the amount of ground clearance. I think hooking up my buddy’s rack will help answer that one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Farmertan,

I'm interested to hear how the hitch rack is working on your Accord. I am thinking of getting a hitch and platform rack (Hold-up or T2).

I currently have a trunk rack and recently got a Santa Cruz Heckler, which requires one of those fake top tubes to put the bike on the rack.. Well, the bike hangs so low compared to my old bike that the tires drag on the ground when I come out of the driveway. Not good! So, currently am putting the bike in the trunk with the back seat folded down and front tire removed. Fine when it is just me, but a pain when I need to bring a second bike along on the trunk rack...

Anyway, any problems with the rack dragging over speedbumps, steep driveways, etc?

Thanks!
Consuela

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the Holdup 1 1/4" rack today. It should be in by Friday, so I'll give you a report after the weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another possible option is a mast style hitch bike rack, or Hang and Dangle style rack where you mount the bikes to cradles on the rack arms. Some people prefer this style (the Thule 914 RoadWay is a good example) because you can carry 4 bikes without the rack extending too far off the back off the car. Also there is a bit more ground clearance. A lot of these racks also include adapters to fit both 2 inch and 1-1/4 inch hitches.

·
Wierdo
3,133 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but as an Accord owner who is thinking about adding a hitch, I am interested in the outcome. farmertan did you get your rack and how's it going for ya?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
woodway said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but as an Accord owner who is thinking about adding a hitch, I am interested in the outcome. farmertan did you get your rack and how's it going for ya?
I couldn't be happier! I finally concluded that a 4 bike rack wouldn't work on a class I hitch, so I went with the Yakima holdup 1 1/4. Solid, stable and simple to use. I can't fully open the trunk with 2 bikes on, but not a big deal. I really love how easy the rack comes on and off the car. I just put it on when we ride and then take it off. About a 2 minute procedure both times. I paid about $200 for the hitch receiver. I'd highly recommend this setup!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Here is a good cheap alternative.

Got this rack at Performance for $119. It works great. It comes with the adapter so it fits 1.25, and 2" receivers.

I like the way it holds the bikes. I have seen a bike nearly fall out of a rack that clamps on the tires, when the tire went flat on the way home. This rack will hold it with flat tires, and I put on a little safety bungie at the top just to be sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about that style. I have a buddy that has the 4 bike one and it works great. The two deciding factors for me was that the Holdup has a locking system for the rack (onto the car) and the bikes. Also, it's been my experience that anything that touches the frame in the same spot will eventually remove the paint. Not sure if that's true for this kind of rack; these kinds are 100 times better than hang-style racks. I agree that the Performance upright rack is probably the best deal out there.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I used a hitch rack on my 1996 Accord for years, including the Sportworks T2. I now drive a Subaru Forester and get about the same mileage with a lot more room and AWD. I still use the T2 (a new one) and the hitch racks are just fantastic. The Holdup is definitely a top choice.....glad you like it.

One really nice thing is that you can see the arm that goes over the tire through the rear-view mirror (on my Subaru anyway) and I can keep an eye on it since I glance in mirror quite frequently anyway. Yes, I did the bike-meet-garage thing a few times and decided to get the hitch rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts