Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a yakima holdup, 6mos old. If you have this rack, you know it has a spring loaded pin which allows you to set it up, level, or angled down for rear door access.

So, today on a long drive, twice it spontaneously dropped to the angled down position. Scared the crap out of me, I thought the bikes were gone. Luckily they held tight.

Best I can tell, what's happening is, as the rack sways back and forth, with weight on the rack, the pin slowly works it's way out and the constant weight prevents it from snapping back in. The first time I wondered if the pin wasn't in all the way, so I made damn sure it was all the way in the second time. After that I was able to use a tie down to mummify the red knob and make it the rest of the way with no issues.

I should mention mine sways a lot because I have an 8 inch hitch extension to clear my rear tire.

First thing I'll try is to grease the hell out of the pin so that, hopefully, it works itself back in as often as it works itself s little out.

Any other ideas? I can warranty it too, it's from a dedicated rack store so they may have experience with this.

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
Are you using a locking hitch pin?

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Tenspeed brings up a good question because I definitely think the rocking is a factor in the spring loaded pin making its way out.

Starting from the left :
1) The pin for the hitch extension is a locking pin, no play.
2) The pin mounting the holdup is the standard yakima pin, which also has no play. So it's all pretty tight so far.
3) Next you see the spring loaded release, now mummified in tie-down. Next to that is the main hinge, where the play comes from. It's swaying in that hinge which allows the quick release spring loaded pin to work itself out.

The play in the main hinge seems normal though, it was always like that, and the bolt is tight. . . and tightening it further will only put more pressure on the outer plates, it won't remove the play.

I think jwiffle is right, spring isn't strong enough. I'll try grease and if that doesn't fix it I'll warranty it.

·
GONE
25,544 Posts
Warranty it. It should not do that. I have a Hold Up. Great design, crap materials. Mine is slowly falling apart.

Mine does not sway using my p/u truck (which exposes the upper half of the bikes to the wind caused while driving) even at 75mph (but I do not use an extender). I do use tie-downs to support the bikes by attaching the tie-down from the seat post to the tail gate. It's Hawg's own patented idea and it is VERY effective in stabilizing the bikes. :lol:

BTW, Optimus uses and extender with his Hold Up but I have never heard him say that his rack swayed back and forth while he was rolling along.

Lastly, I do keep the pinch bolt very tight where that swing release pin is. It's tight enough so that I have to use a bit of force to swing it up or down when I pull the pin. I feel that this does indeed stabilize the rack, overall.

·
live long and huck
5,568 Posts
I agree with Hawg, keep the pinch/pivot bolt fairly snug. I use an extender also, and even haul mine around off road a bit, but I have never had my pin work loose. Mine sways minimally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Procter,

I PM'd you regarding this issue with your HoldUp bike rack. Please give us a call at 888.925.4621 so we can learn a little more about your setup and load and how to best assist you with this issue you are having with your HoldUp.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Cheers,

Yakima Customer Service

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Yak! That's pretty impressive customer service.

It turned out, the pivot bolt was just loose. It must have gotten loose slowly over several months time, such that I didn't notice it getting worse, I thought it was normal.

After tightening it, the swaying stopped, so the quick release pin didn't work itself out any more - I did a 4 hour drive last night, no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Michael,

Please give us a call and we can discuss the issue. The HoldUp has three different locking points on it. All lock cores are SKS (same key system) and can be changed out if there is an issue with the core. Depending on which locking point is affected we can figure out the best way to assist you. Just give us a call at 888.925.4621 (Mon-Fri 7-5 PST) and let's see if we can figure out what the issue is and how best to get it resolved.

Cheers,

Yakima Customer Service

·
GONE
25,544 Posts
Thanks Yak! That's pretty impressive customer service.

It turned out, the pivot bolt was just loose. It must have gotten loose slowly over several months time, such that I didn't notice it getting worse, I thought it was normal.

After tightening it, the swaying stopped, so the quick release pin didn't work itself out any more - I did a 4 hour drive last night, no issues.
Awesome! Glad to hear that it was a simple fix. The pinch bolts on all swing racks I've had over the years eventually loosened up a bit and needed periodic retightening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I have a yakima holdup, 6mos old. If you have this rack, you know it has a spring loaded pin which allows you to set it up, level, or angled down for rear door access.

So, today on a long drive, twice it spontaneously dropped to the angled down position. Scared the crap out of me, I thought the bikes were gone. Luckily they held tight.

Best I can tell, what's happening is, as the rack sways back and forth, with weight on the rack, the pin slowly works it's way out and the constant weight prevents it from snapping back in. The first time I wondered if the pin wasn't in all the way, so I made damn sure it was all the way in the second time. After that I was able to use a tie down to mummify the red knob and make it the rest of the way with no issues.

I should mention mine sways a lot because I have an 8 inch hitch extension to clear my rear tire.

First thing I'll try is to grease the hell out of the pin so that, hopefully, it works itself back in as often as it works itself s little out.

Any other ideas? I can warranty it too, it's from a dedicated rack store so they may have experience with this.
Yep. Same thing happened to me. Scared the crap out of the following driver. The supplied pull pin on my holdup 2 was poor quality it dislodged and was lost leaving only the spring loaded pin to hold the rack level. The spring loaded pin worked out and the rack dropped.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. Same thing happened to me. Scared the crap out of the following driver. The supplied pull pin on my holdup 2 was poor quality it dislodged and was lost leaving only the spring loaded pin to hold the rack level. The spring loaded pin worked out and the rack dropped.
Yea turned out, just tightening the bolt sufficiently made it go away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts