Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put together a Yakima roof rack system for my 1999+ Jetta. I purchases 2 of the Boa fork-mounted bike racks because they seemed easiest to put on and take off. Problem is, when I try to put my Trek 9.8 on the rack, the rear wheel sits behind the back bar and basically sits on my roof. Is there any way of rigging it up so longer bikes can fit the Boa rack, or am I going to have to get a tray rack of some sort?

·
Registered
539 Posts
if it's a Jetta sedan, which i'm assuming it is, you are hosed. Boas were great years ago when all cars came with raingutters so the crossbar spread was adjustable, but pretty much all modern sedans do not have raingutters and the crossbar spread is not adjustable because the clips are designed to fit in a certain place on the door jamb. This is why long tray bike mounts are required...it doesn't matter how far apart the bars are, the tray is long enough to hold the bike.

·
Registered
539 Posts
simply return the boas (or craigslist if you bought them used) and buy some tray style fork mounts. RockyMounts make a non-locking 9mm Lariat for $54.95 in loads of different flavors! A lockable version is only $74.95 (lock is an extra $8.95) which works out similar to an all plastic Boa with a lock! The Yakima base rack is fine but the Boas need to go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.