Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People who post sweet videos and photos from places like Moab, Whistler, Blackrock, etc. Every time I view any of these threads, I get super stoked. My heart rate jumps, I sit up in my seat, lean forward, look at every frame a few times to make sure I miss nothing. I feel like I'm sitting on my Remedy, seat dropped, watching other people hit the drop, gap, step-up, step-down, log-ride.....

Then I realize that I'm sitting at work. Front desk of the library, here at SUNY Oneonta in Central New York. I am reminded of the blandness of biking in this place, where a 2-foot drop is considered to be "dangerous" and an "attractive nuisance".

I realize that there is only one Fox 36 here, and no Lyrik, no Domain, no Revelation or Pike, even. Thru-axle is a foreign term, and surely that must be heavy, right? Forget about any rear shock with more that a 50mm stroke, don't even mention the word "coil" when speaking of rear squish.

A "big bike" is anything with more than 120mm rear travel, and a "big-boy bike" has those gosh-darn newfangled big wheels. A Nevegal 2.3 is a fat tire, and a 2.5 Nevegal....well....you may as well be on a dirt bike.

So to all of you folks out there posting your ride stokes from sweet ride spots....

Keep it up. It's like going on a brief all-expense-paid vacation every time I see one of those threads. Cheers!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree, everyone keep it up!

Although not entirely for the same reasons. I just really enjoy experiencing what riding is like in different corners of the nation, all at the same time. That's the beauty of the internet!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I've heard the Finger Lakes has some sweet trails as well as the Allegheneys just to the south in PA. Your're close to Jim Thorpe, too.
You even have autumn color rides, something not too great here in AZ. But riding in the Sonoran desert is a different environment than anywhere else.
In all my riding travels so far the many trails near Gooseberry Mesa, UT are my favorites.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Dude. Speaking as someone who has lived and ridden on both coasts a bit, and some in the middle:

Methinks you're not looking in the right spots/riding with the right people.

I don't live too far from your location, and there is all sorts of stuff you can use a big(ger) or slacker/burlier bike on, and the area abounds with all sorts of sweet, technical riding.

Yeah, we don't have supah' long climbs and descents, but there is quite a metric ass-load of chunky, good terrain out here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like the videos and pictures as well. Gets me amped up to finally get out and do some riding. This year will be my first real season riding, so I'm already stoked. Though my season may start much later as I will most likely need to have surgery on my knee, but it won't stop me! Keep up the great video and picture posts guys.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
sambs827 said:
People who post sweet videos and photos from places like Moab, Whistler, Blackrock, etc. Every time I view any of these threads, I get super stoked. My heart rate jumps, I sit up in my seat, lean forward, look at every frame a few times to make sure I miss nothing. I feel like I'm sitting on my Remedy, seat dropped, watching other people hit the drop, gap, step-up, step-down, log-ride.....

Then I realize that I'm sitting at work. Front desk of the library, here at SUNY Oneonta in Central New York. I am reminded of the blandness of biking in this place, where a 2-foot drop is considered to be "dangerous" and an "attractive nuisance".

I realize that there is only one Fox 36 here, and no Lyrik, no Domain, no Revelation or Pike, even. Thru-axle is a foreign term, and surely that must be heavy, right? Forget about any rear shock with more that a 50mm stroke, don't even mention the word "coil" when speaking of rear squish.

A "big bike" is anything with more than 120mm rear travel, and a "big-boy bike" has those gosh-darn newfangled big wheels. A Nevegal 2.3 is a fat tire, and a 2.5 Nevegal....well....you may as well be on a dirt bike.

So to all of you folks out there posting your ride stokes from sweet ride spots....

Keep it up. It's like going on a brief all-expense-paid vacation every time I see one of those threads. Cheers!
ever consider packing up and moving out to somewhere with better riding?

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
sambs827 said:
Why don't you go to Plattekill Mtn? It looks like <2 hrs from your location. Carpool with a couple buds and get your freeride on. Do it!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Roll up your shirt sleeves,get some topo maps and do some exploring I promise you will get addicted to building.Your blandoffice life will be filled with stoke for the next section of trail.

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm diggin the responses on here....I've been to Plattekill and loved it, and I hvae heard of sick trails around Ithaca, have ridden an epic in Ellicottville, and plan on spending some considerable time at The Land Freeride Park this summer.

But a good rant is ruined by reason. Therefore, I left out reason.

frikka---my buddies and I build alot actually. Unfortunately we can't really build anything to our full potential due to land management issues, but you're right--it's super awesome to ride something you just built.

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
sambs827 said:
Keep it up. It's like going on a brief all-expense-paid vacation every time I see one of those threads.
And if you plan it right, you get to go to those places during your actual vacation time. :)

That's one of the great things about these forums: we all get to take those "brief all-expenses-paid mtn bike vacations" when ever we feel like it (well, when the boss isn't looking over our shoulders...). When it's pouring rain for weeks on end on the Pacific West Coast, you can bet I'm surfing the high-desert riding spots of Utah, Arizona, etc.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
F land management & find a dry creek bed and some features on topo and google earth and live the dream.Stay away from wood work because it rots out and hurts people.It also looks bad to others.

·
Registered
809 Posts
sambs827 said:
I hvae heard of sick trails around Ithaca
My brother lived in Ithaca for one year finishing some post-grad work. I visited twice, but only once in the summer. He took me on some public trails in an area that I believe the locals called Area 51. It was pretty freakin' technical with lots of man made and natural features.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
less than 2 hrs from plattekill,that's closer than i am, i'm a bit jealouse.It's got to be countryish in your area and there's all kinds of potential in remote areas op probabely just needs to figure out how to find where the fun is.

·
921 Posts
Mike Aswell said:
My brother lived in Ithaca for one year finishing some post-grad work. I visited twice, but only once in the summer. He took me on some public trails in an area that I believe the locals called Area 51. It was pretty freakin' technical with lots of man made and natural features.
Shindagin Hollow - mostly XC riding, but with a little jewel called Area 51. I haven't been back in about 4 years, but rumor has it that all of the man-made features are now gone.

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Herbn, where are you from? Anywhere near Oneonta?

I was hoping someone would catch the Peter Griffin connection...

·
Expert Noob
226 Posts
sambs827 said:

I went to college at SUNY Delhi, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Granny

I've got a few solutions to your dilemma.

Ride with friends.

Make a tight turn.

Roll on.

Jump the ditch.

// all little bikes were used in these shots.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts