Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing my y5 out of retirement. Looking for suggestions on front/rear suspension upgrade from stock quadra/fox coil. The fox seems to meet my riding but the old quadra just needs to go. Any info on a setup would be great.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yah i do...still kickin' too lol. as for the front fork if you want something nice, you can look into the rockshox Reba or the Fox F series since you don't really have a price limit.

Edit: I would still near the stock 80mm of travel for the front though, otherwise you will throw off your geo

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Okay, I'll be that guy that says save for a new bike. I'm sorry but that one is not worth upgrading unless you just want to wax nostalgia. A new fork is something that you could transfer but I wouldn't worry about the shock.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Honestly, anything is going to be better than the Quadra. And seconding Andino's advice to keep the travel limited (to keep steering geometry in check), find a used or NOS Manitou Black or Minute with the RTWD (Rapid Travel Wind Down) in the 90-120 range. Then you could experiment with greater travel, but fall back to 90mm if it steers like poo.

Oh yeah, are you sure it's a 1-1/8" steerer?

Try a platform shock on the rear to get that stinkbuggin' in check. You'll find good deals on Progressive 5th Element Airs and Manitou Swinger 3-ways. Better make sure you know the eye-to-eye length and stroke requirements of your frame, and expect to have to do some legwork (or handiwork) to get the correctly sized eyelet spacers.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Homebrew said:
Okay, I'll be that guy that says save for a new bike. I'm sorry but that one is not worth upgrading unless you just want to wax nostalgia. A new fork is something that you could transfer but I wouldn't worry about the shock.
And Ill second that.

after a long lay off from riding I tried resurrecting a Klien Mantra, similar URT design, up to discs and a new fork for around 600 7 years ago, two months later I bought a 4 bar bike. That 600 would have gotten me a much better groupo on a bike that is vastly superior in all aspects of riding, including climbing.

wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that's what I'm talking about! Good honest answers. Although (Brew & Osdias) the thread wasn't about which bike should I buy, but which 21st century equipment will work on my nostalgic bike. Last I knew if it cranks ride it.

Thanks Andino and Speednub.Nate for the info. Good info can be elusive on this here typewriter plugged into the wall.

·
Registered
555 Posts
And the winner for the worst case of UGI

On a Trek/ Fisher Y-bike is. Drum Roll please. Me followed closely by speed dub nate, That was about five bikes ago, I keep the picture to keep me from getting the UGItis again. Thank god I was able to strip all those great parts off before selling it on E-bay {second picture}. Nate had the disease a bit longer than i did, tho my case was more extreme. LOL Jim

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
jimbo2k said:
On a Trek/ Fisher Y-bike is. Drum Roll please. Me followed closely by speed dub nate, That was about five bikes ago, I keep the picture to keep me from getting the UGItis again. Thank god I was able to strip all those great parts off before selling it on E-bay {second picture}. Nate had the disease a bit longer than i did, tho my case was more extreme. LOL Jim
I hope you sold that Boulton separately! Gawd I searched high and low for one of those. Probably worth more on eBay than the frame!

Yeah, URT's have their quirks, but my Joshua never stopped me from having a great ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.